Two Day Docking in Livorno, Italy- Can I...??

CollierFam

We are doing our first Mediterranean Cruise in September on the Celebrity Equinox.  I have a couple of questions about the two days we will be docked in Livorno.

1.  Can I book a hotel room and stay in Florence overnight or do I have to return to the ship?

2.  If I can stay out overnight, what tours can I do on the way to Florence, in Florence, and on the way back to the port?  Or any other recommended excursions?

Thank you

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Yes, you can stay ashore overnight. Totally at your expense, no reduction in fare in any way from Celebrity.

As to tours, are you asking about private, or ship's excursions? If wanting to do private, or on your own, start doing some research on the Italy board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

You will find tons of info on DIY and private vendors. If you are asking about Celebrity's tours, can you see excursions on the Celebrity website? Otherwise, ask on the Celebrity board, here:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/16-celebrity-cruises/

• Like 1

Thank you for that information.  Very helpful and exactly what I was hoping to hear.  I did check out the Celebrity Cruise excursions, but all of them bring you back to the port the same day.  I was hoping to sightsee on my way to Florence and maybe some more on the way back to the port.  I will research the Italy board as suggested.

Florence is very walkable and pretty easy to do on your own.  Visiting the Duomo, the museums, then a couple hours for strolling will consume your day.  

That said, if a private guide or group excursion is in your budget, I think it is always money well spent to have a local show you around.

If you spend the night, consider dinner on the top of the Baglioni Hotel.   Outdoor seating with spectacular views of the Duomo lit up.  I think it is now called B-Roof but it was not called that when we were there. 

Netflix's "Medici the Magnificent" is a great watch prior to any visit to Florence.  

1 hour ago, CollierFam said:

Can I book a hotel room and stay in Florence overnight or do I have to return to the ship?

You should always let guest services and/or your cabin steward know that you will be away overnight and returning next day.

You can visit anywhere you choose en route to Florence, with the two most popular being Pisa and/or Lucca.  Same on your return to Livorno. all are well connected by train.

As for Florence itself, you could read as much as you can about the city to help you decide which sights would interest you.  And note the ones which require pre-booking and timed tickets

There are of course some pros and cons about overnighting if you plan to use the trains as your main form of transport.  Rail strikes could be problematic..  Some go ahead, but others get called off.

There have been a number of past threads about overnighting in Florence from Livorno and you would probably find useful info and advice in at least a few of them.  you can choose which to read from these.

..https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=florence overnight&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=464&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy&search_and_or=and

1 hour ago, CollierFam said:

Thank you for that information.  Very helpful and exactly what I was hoping to hear.  I did check out the Celebrity Cruise excursions, but all of them bring you back to the port the same day.  I was hoping to sightsee on my way to Florence and maybe some more on the way back to the port.  I will research the Italy board as suggested.

Lots of options in the region, but what you can do depends on your own spirit of adventure, willingness to use public transit (or rent a car) or arranging for a private tour.  I think spending an overnight in Florence is a great idea, and there is enough in that city to fill all your time.  As to "sightseeing" outside of Florence we tend to think in terms of destinations rather than "sightseeing."  Consider that within reasonable range you have San Gimignano, Lucca, Sienna, the Chianti wine area, Volterra, etc.  Having a car makes a lot more possible, but driving in Italy also means being aware of ZTLs (limited driving zones) and the parking rules.

In your situation we would suggest just taking the train to Florence, checking in a hotel within easy walking range of the train station, and enjoying all that Florence has to offer.  On the 2nd day you have time to do more in Florence before catching an early-mid afternoon train back to Livorno.  Just beware that the biggest hassle can be getting a taxi between the Livorno train station and the port.

Hank

Yes you can overnight in Florence - where there is more than enough to use up all your time.  If you are going by car, you might think about planning your route one way to see a place such as Lucca, for example, but if you are going by train the changes would eat up too much of your valuable time.    No one can “do” Florence in a few hours.

If you've never been, that whole area is utterly fascinating.  And if you have a REAL sense of adventure, rent a car and 'go see everything'.  Florence is Florence, everybody goes there, but seeing the Italian countryside and the small towns and making up your own schedule is heaven.  And, as a bonus, driving in Italy is the ultimate thrill ride!  Whatever you decide, you can be sure it will be wonderful, as long as you do your research.  

Livorno to Florence (and back) is easy by train. There are some direct trains. Others will have a change in Pisa. The Santa Maria Novella (SMN) station in Florence is a few blocks, easy walking distance to the historic center. And there is a plethora of places to see and things to do that could occupy your entire available time. A good guidebook, plus advance reservations for the major sites, means there is little need for guided tours, unless you need the reassurance of a local guide.

I would strongly recommend against driving to Florence due to the difficulty in avoiding the ZTLs in the city. If you want a scenic drive in the Tuscan countryside,  be aware that ZTLs exist in the towns and villages as well. You may end up with very expensive souvenirs (traffic fines) arriving by mail a month or 2 later. And if you decide to rent a car, you will need to get an International  Driver's  Permit at your local AAA office before leaving home.

• Like 1