Time change on a Transatlantic

If we book pre-cruise a Dinner reservation on a Transatlantic, lets say for 7 pm for day # 9 of a 14 day cruise, would that 7pm time be the actual time on board (for that time zone change)? In other words, 7pm is 7pm no matter what time zone we are in at the time? Hope that all makes sense.

Posted (edited)

Hi! We did a WBTA so six 25-hour days (glorious). Your dinner reservation will be ship time and you'll receive all time change notices in your cabin the day prior so you can adjust your watches/phones accordingly. Have fun! Transatlantics are the best!

Edited by AlexandNessa
Missing word
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, umpy10 said:

If we book pre-cruise a Dinner reservation on a Transatlantic, lets say for 7 pm for day # 9 of a 14 day cruise, would that 7pm time be the actual time on board ... 

Dining reservations onboard will follow/based on ship time for that date/day (evening) as reserved ahead ... Time zone changes are announced ahead, the day before (going westbound, typically changed at 2 AM, losing 1 hour forward) whereas sailing eastbound (changes scheduled for 2 PM in the afternoon can be expected, on a sea day where any disruptions are minimal ... as you gain 1 extra hour).

Ship sometimes pre-maturely changed the clock time, be careful as it had caused confusion for some pax while onboard.  A little placard/notice is generally given to all cabin along with the FSD, but not everyone open them & look at everything inside, especially now they leave them outside on the mail/message "slot" of each stateroom.  

Posted (edited)

I missed a time change recently on an HAL ship, and the next day was a sea day.i was an hour ahead, but didn’t know it all day. I noticed some oddities at lunch when I went down to the Lido at 12:30 and some stations were just opening up, but didn’t figure it out till I showed up an hour early for the late dinner seating. Embarrassing! On a transAtlantic Crossing I prefer going east to west rather than west to east. If you leave North America behind sailing to Europe, you are continually losing an hour of sleep almost every night for a few days. For me at least the opposite of having an extra hour is better, although even that’s not perfect.

Edited by Mike B Landlubber

You’ll get a card on your bed with time change telling you to either put your clocks forward to back. I would take off the automatic time change on your phone as ship time may not be local time in the position you are. So you can manually update your phone before going to bed. Don’t do what I did and phone was all over the shop and had no idea of the time. Lol

enjoy your TA. They’re my favourite with all the sea days 

They do a pretty good job communicating the change. On my transatlantic from Orlando to Rome on the Epic in April, they moved the time forward an hour at 2 AM. I'd encourage you to bring a battery operated clock, and change it before bed. 

15 hours ago, mking8288 said:

A little placard/notice is generally given to all cabin along with the FSD, but not everyone open them & look at everything inside, especially now they leave them outside on the mail/message "slot" of each stateroom.

One day on our Transatlantic the clocks didn't change in the elevator bank or on the televisions. When we went to the concierge to figure out what the heck time it was, he told us the phones in the rooms always adjust to the correct time. From then on, we looked at the phone if we questioned the time. Hopefully others can make use of that when certain IT thingies aren't updated. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, umpy10 said:

If we book pre-cruise a Dinner reservation on a Transatlantic, lets say for 7 pm for day # 9 of a 14 day cruise, would that 7pm time be the actual time on board (for that time zone change)? In other words, 7pm is 7pm no matter what time zone we are in at the time? Hope that all makes sense.

On an Eastbound TA you will have six or seven 23 hour days.  Westbound will result in six or seven 25 hour days.  I never have been able to sleep on an overnight flight, so I'm always groggy and jet-lagged when we fly to Europe.  By taking a cruise, you can adjust your internal clock a little at a time.  Sure, you give up an hour each day for a week, but at least you don't lose a full night of sleep all at once.  We haven't tried a Westbound TA cruise yet.  They usually occur in the late Autumn, so the timing just has never worked well for us.  I'm sure the extra hour per day would be quite relaxing.

We have done both and living in the US a westbound is much better as when you dock there is a short flight to get home any changes such as arriving late or bad weather are easy to adjust.  Going the other way we were always tired from losing the hour, plus oddly enough we landed in Rome and it was cheaper to fly from  Rome to Dublin spend 2 nights in Dublin then fly back than it was to fly back from Rome.

On 7/1/2024 at 8:57 PM, Mike B Landlubber said:

If you leave North America behind sailing to Europe, you are continually losing an hour of sleep almost every night for a few days. For me at least the opposite of having an extra hour is better, although even that’s not perfect.

Loved those extra hours on our transatlantic. Plus for us living in Florida it was great to disembark in Ft. Lauderdale, get a rental car and not have to fly anywhere.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 7:26 PM, mking8288 said:

Time zone changes are announced ahead, the day before (going westbound, typically changed at 2 AM, losing 1 hour forward) whereas sailing eastbound (changes scheduled for 2 PM in the afternoon can be expected, on a sea day where any disruptions are minimal ... as you gain 1 extra hour).

No this is not correct.

Westbound you gain hours & Eastbound you lose hours.

For instance: I live in CST. If I fly to FL it is an hour later there. So losing hours when sailing East.

If I fly to LA, it is 2 hours earlier so I "gain" 2 hours.

We were on the Regal Princes TA FLL-Southampton in April.

The days we changed the time, they always did it at 1PM. 

I wasn't a fan BUT I realized that this was much better for crew--they didn't lose an hour of sleep at night. So I can get onboard for that.

On 7/2/2024 at 2:26 AM, mking8288 said:

Dining reservations onboard will follow/based on ship time for that date/day (evening) as reserved ahead ... Time zone changes are announced ahead, the day before (going westbound, typically changed at 2 AM, losing 1 hour forward) whereas sailing eastbound (changes scheduled for 2 PM in the afternoon can be expected, on a sea day where any disruptions are minimal ... as you gain 1 extra hour).

Ship sometimes pre-maturely changed the clock time, be careful as it had caused confusion for some pax while onboard.  A little placard/notice is generally given to all cabin along with the FSD, but not everyone open them & look at everything inside, especially now they leave them outside on the mail/message "slot" of each stateroom.  

All my transatlantic cruises have been on NCL. I have done 3 eastbound crossings, and the clocks changed at 02:00 every time, moving forward and losing an hour. In the dozen westbound crossings, the clocks went back at 02:00, gaining an hour. I have heard that some cruise lines change the time at 14:00, and it is also up to the captain. In my experiences, all my crossings had an overnight time change.

2 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Heheh. You're funny.

Thank you very much for your contribution to the issue. It's appreciated more than you can imagine.

Just be careful to pay attention to the DATE when you change the time on your phone. Somehow, when I moved the clock back an hour, the date went ahead a day? So the next day, all of the pics I took before I realized the error, are filed a day after I took them on my phone 6/27 instead of 6/26. I kept wondering why I wasn't capturing any of the pics I took. 

38 minutes ago, reeinaz said:

Just be careful to pay attention to the DATE when you change the time on your phone. Somehow, when I moved the clock back an hour, the date went ahead a day? So the next day, all of the pics I took before I realized the error, are filed a day after I took them on my phone 6/27 instead of 6/26. I kept wondering why I wasn't capturing any of the pics I took. 

Haha what a great callout! That happened so many times on my Transatlantic I finally got used to looking behind for the future. It was a cool little moment when I figured out what happened. 

• Haha 1