New "Extend your Vacation" offer via Navigator app

Infi

Recently returned from a 14 day cruise on Rotterdam, where I received an interesting offer via the Navigator app messages about 5 days before the end of the cruise. The offer was to extend my cruise for $49/day and stay on for the next 7 day voyage. The offer claimed it was limited (hmm...) and non-transferrable, and to see the Future Cruise Consultant onboard for more info. 

I've never seen or heard of this offer before (only the standby program discussed on this forum), so I went to the FCC to investigate and get more details. The cost for me as a solo would be $100/day, plus port charges for either an assigned inside cabin or a guarantee, so roughly ~$800 for the week. Her system showed only one inside cabin was available on deck 11, and she recommended choosing that over the guarantee. 

The FCC shared that the program is new (running for the last 2 months). She said they don't tell the FCCs how many offers they make, or who receives them, and asked to see my app as proof I had received the offer. I asked who was targeted: 4-5 star, first time cruisers, locals to departure port, etc. and she said she's seen all of the above. HAL does not offer to help with flights or flight change fees, and she advised me to book the cruise first before changing the flight. I looked at flights and would lose my direct flight home if I switched; plus, I had already been away from work for close to 3 weeks at that point, and I doubted that would work out well. 

Although it was tough, I ignored the offer. Interestingly, I received new messages in the app each day reminding me of the offer, first as described, then escalating to $100 OBC, and finally $250 OBC in the final message. I showed the offer to several friends onboard and none of them had received it, which surprised me. I didn't believe the "offer is only for you" claim and I honestly thought HAL would cast a wide net to see who would bite. 

Anyway, I wanted to share and see if others had received something similar on their recent cruises. Oh, if only I had unlimited PTO - I definitely would have taken advantage of it!

IMG_0570.PNG

Edited by Infi
  • Thanks 12

I received a similar offer a few years ago on not on HAL, but on Princess. Talking to other pax, some were aware as they'd also rec'd the offer and others had not, so I do think they're limited in who gets offered.

Maybe CCL tested it w/Princess and is now rolling it out to other brands.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 3

About 20 years ago I was on a cruise on Zuiderdam that the next sailing wasn't fully booked and a similar offer was extended. Of course it was not thru the App (which didn't exist), but it was passed guest to guest and anyone could take advantage of it.

Unfortunately, I could not take the offer then.

• Like 1

DH and I also received such an offer on the Rotterdam 6/8-6/22.  I am only 3 star, but we were in a suite.  I strongly suspected it would be an offer for just a base cabin, likely an inside, and that would not have worked for the two of us, plus we would have had to once again rearrange our hard to get nonstop flights.

I might have looked into it if I were solo this trip, as I sometimes am when I cruise.

I was on a different line shortly before the Rotterdam cruise (a small expedition ship, Hanseatic Inspiration,  that is a part of the Royal Caribbean mega-complex), alone,  and had gotten a similar offer (i.e., extend your cruise at a much cheaper than usual price), and since I am now retired, I would have done that but for my plan to meet DH in Amsterdam for the Rotterdam cruise shortly thereafter. 

• Like 2

I am curious if other OBC offers would apply to this type of booking - like shareholder, AARP, or "special people" - or if excluded because of special price.   Now that we are retired, we could consider something like this as long as the dog sitter consented.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, waiting2retire said:

Interesting. I would have countered with the fact it says $49 per day per stateroom, so I would take it at the solo charge of $49.

Excellent point, I didn't even think of that! It does say right in the message, $49/stateroom. If I am lucky enough to get the offer again and am able to take advantage of it, I will raise this point. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

About 20 years ago I was on a cruise on Zuiderdam that the next sailing wasn't fully booked and a similar offer was extended. Of course it was not thru the App (which didn't exist), but it was passed guest to guest and anyone could take advantage of it.

Unfortunately, I could not take the offer then.

Yes, I remember those days when Guest Services would offer folks the chance to stay on for the next week for next-to-nothing, simply to fill the cabin. It appears this (and the standby program) is the modern version of those offers. Interesting to see HAL has returned to this strategy so many years later.

6 hours ago, badtwin said:

I am curious if other OBC offers would apply to this type of booking - like shareholder, AARP, or "special people" - or if excluded because of special price.   Now that we are retired, we could consider something like this as long as the dog sitter consented.

I also briefly considered this point. At 5 days out, I'm not sure if my shareholder/AARP/educator benefits could be applied in a timely fashion, but I tried to balance the lack of OBC with getting the fare for so cheap. I did appreciate HAL sweetening the deal with the $250 OBC at the end. $250 is a nice little onboard spending foundation and could cover crew appreciation and perhaps a small tour. 

Edited by Infi
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, grannyshell said:

I wonder how it would work if you had booked flights via FlightEase.

I did ask about this, and the FCC said HAL still would not cover potential change fees, and that the passenger would have to reach out to FlightEase on their own. 

5 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Thanks. I have an upcoming cruise that I was hoping to add the 7 days for free. My flights are changeable so I am set.  I will be watching. 

Good luck 🤞 please let us know if you receive an offer.

HAL seems to be really trying to fill the ships.

• Like 3

We were on the same cruise and did not receive an offer. Our flights were through Flight Ease - I wonder how that would have worked.  We wouldn’t have been able to take advantage of it due to commitments at home, but it is interesting that they are offering this. 

57 minutes ago, swin26 said:

We were on the same cruise and did not receive an offer. Our flights were through Flight Ease - I wonder how that would have worked.  We wouldn’t have been able to take advantage of it due to commitments at home, but it is interesting that they are offering this. 

I wonder if it is because you have flights with flight ease that you weren’t given the option?

• Like 1