NCL transfers from Manhattan Port to Newark Airport

Does NCL provide a transfer from Manhattan to Newark airport post cruise?  Indications from posts I have seen here suggest it might not.  If not, what are the options to do so and what might they cost?

Thanks.

Posted (edited)

Yes you can transfer to Newark, LaGuardia or JFK.  We found the transfer to be a very efficient way to get back to the airport in Newark. We paid $37.50 each, or $75 total for 2.

going to the pier from Newark we paid $79 for Carmel car service, which included tolls and tip.

Edited by laudergayle

Just now, Wayward Son said:

There were no transfers to Newark last November. But a cab only cost about $50, if I recall correctly.

Well that could be true.  We used the transfer in October’22 and May ‘23.  

4 minutes ago, laudergayle said:

Well that could be true.

I can assure you it is true -- we were there. 😂  But I cannot confirm the cab cost as true, because I don't remember.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Newark Airport's web site estimates a taxi ride from the airport to the midtown zone (including 12th and 55th) to be about $70, with some additions such as bag fees ($1 per) and tip; I assume the terminal to airport trip would be about the same, and I believe the estimate includes two-way tolls (you will pay for the driver to return to NYC.)

A quick check of Uber prices right now show about the same (surge pricing would likely take that higher right after the ship clears and people start disembarking.)

The Scrooge McDuck answer if able to walk with luggage would be go 20 blocks south to NY Penn Station (walk ~1.75 Miles, taxi or subway-station is roughly four blocks east of the terminal), and get on a NJ Transit train to EWR for $12.20 (senior) to $16.80 per person.

Edited by BDevilCruiser
  • Like 1

We were there last September and took Uber to Newark airport.   We docked at Pier 88, not sure if all NCL goes there but likely there or a next door Pier.   Once we collected our luggage the only exit took us to the crosswalk across Hudson River Greenway - in the crosswalk there were many taxi drivers on foot, trying to hard sell the cruise passengers in the crosswalk.    On the other side of the crosswalk there were many cruise passengers from our ship looking a little lost and it was crowded.   

We turned left, walked 2 blocks, got away from the crowd and requested an Uber from there.   Worked great, no crowd.  I believe it was about $65.

9 hours ago, laudergayle said:

And…what?

The first question in the Original Poster's message is, "Does NCL provide a transfer from Manhattan to Newark airport post cruise." My answer is very succinct confirming so and I included other modes of transportation I use. My signature also shows I take NCL cruises out of NY more often than any other port. Indicating at least some experience and comfortability with transportation at that port. What's your problem?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/7/2024 at 4:35 PM, BDevilCruiser said:

The Scrooge McDuck answer if able to walk with luggage would be go 20 blocks south to NY Penn Station (walk ~1.75 Miles, taxi or subway-station is roughly four blocks east of the terminal), and get on a NJ Transit train to EWR for $12.20 (senior) to $16.80 per person.

I'd classify it as the adventurous way. 

But, to answer OP's question, my November 2023 Transatlantic on Pr1ma that ended in Manhattan did have a transfer option to all three major NYC airports. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseny4life said:

I'd classify it as the adventurous way. 

But, to answer OP's question, my November 2023 Transatlantic on Pr1ma that ended in Manhattan did have a transfer option to all three major NYC airports. 

Adventurous?  Not for a native NYCer.  😀

It is the method I'm considering if I wind up on the Joy in the next few weeks, as I'll be coming from the Jersey Shore. If a relative is not available to drive me, the NJT North Jersey Coast Line is the likely option.  The cost on a Sunday morning is about $12 total using the subway and a senior discount on NJT.  That's less than the toll for the Lincoln Tunnel.   IF the weather isn't good, I'll splurge on a taxi from Penn Station instead of the subway and the ~four block walk.  The negative is that it'll take about three hours.  I'll have a wheeled carry-on sized suitcase and a backpack, so luggage is manageable.

I think the OP's question was if NCL was still running the transfer to EWR; there's at least one message that said they weren't, hence the other options.  But, if it is running, definitely the easiest and least confusing for them.  Well worth the additional cost to be worry free.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BDevilCruiser said:

Adventurous?  Not for a native NYCer.  😀

I think the OP's question was if NCL was still running the transfer to EWR; there's at least one message that said they weren't, hence the other options.  But, if it is running, definitely the easiest and least confusing for them.  Well worth the additional cost to be worry free.

Agreed, at the per person price posted above the NCL transfer is the best.

Another possibility if there is no transfer and not a lot of luggage is to walk to the Port Authority Bus Terminal for the Newark Airport Express bus.  It leaves from the street on 41st between 8th and 9th Ave so you do not have to go inside the busy terminal.  

The price is $11.50 senior and $22.50 Adult and you pay outside the bus.  I have taken it may times and it is very reliable.  It leaves you off opposite the terminals just a short walk away.

Very often (not always) once onboard the cruise, the shorex team will know, promote and announce (via the Freestyle Dailies) - or go ask & speak to them and book directly - whether their shuttle bus is being offered to EWR, they always always have seats on transfer to LGA and JFK.  $37.50 p/p for the disembarking transfer to the airport is a good price, especially solo travelers with luggage and not rushing to catch that "late" morning flight.   The shorex credit of $50 cannot be used for the transfer but if taking the post-cruise $$$ city drive-thru/by tour with airport drop-off in the mid afternoon, then it is "usable" ...

Inquiries into NCL's call centers in FL or AZ aren't going to help as the agents are reading off scripted answers to what they see on their screens - check out the specifics on embarkation day.  

Another word of caution, be mindful & very careful with Uber/Lyft surge pricing sur-charges when disembarking in NYC, especially with more than 1 ship on the same turnaround days.  Go to the East Coast destination forum & check out recent updates & posts about NYC ground transfers.  

Happy planning to cruise !