Currency in Iceland

From what I have read everything can mostly be paid via credit card.   I am wondering if I need to pay cash for something is the Euro, pound or US$ acceptable?

6 hours ago, mosleyman said:

From what I have read everything can mostly be paid via credit card.   I am wondering if I need to pay cash for something is the Euro, pound or US$ acceptable?

It's not uncommon to see prices also shown as Euros alongside Krona, and I suspect some of the tourist shops might take Euro or US$. In twelve years of visiting Iceland though I have never needed to pay for anything with cash - credit or debit card is used for every transaction regardless of size.

Watch out though for the card machine being set to charge you in Euro or $ though as the exchange rate is normally not so good - ask to pay in Krona and get the exchange rate your card would charge which (in the UK at least) is normally much better.

the rate you get for Euros will be terrible, but you can probably use them in some places.

In 5 trips to Iceland we have needed ISK twice:  Once for a pay toilet, once to buy tomatoes from a tray in front of someone's house, who had an "honor box" asking for ISK

So if we taxi from cruise port to our hotel, no problem paying with a credit card...correct? Also, are taxis readily available at the port?

20 hours ago, edgee said:

So if we taxi from cruise port to our hotel, no problem paying with a credit card...correct? Also, are taxis readily available at the port?

Taxis take credit cards.  So does nearly every other merchant in Iceland

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2024 at 7:20 PM, edgee said:

No problem at using card. As others have said, Iceland is pretty much cash free, and merchants expect card payment rather than cash in our experience.

I was just in Iceland for 5 days (three days in Reykjavik and one day each in Heimaey and Djupivogur. I used my Visa credit card for all purchases. Warning: most places did not take American Express.