Ice Packs

I need to ice my back daily. I use 2 large (10" x 14") sealed flat packs (filled with some kind of substance). I know in-cabin coolers don't have freezers, and am trying to figure out how to freeze them between uses. Has anyone had to deal with anything like this?

I've read here about people needing to refrigerate medications - suggestions include the cooler or the medical center. I'm wondering if the medical center can freeze my packs. The cabin stewards usually come through (are helpful) on special requests, so I will ask them, too. I'd feel better knowing in advance if there's a way - each ice pack weighs 5 pounds and if there's no hope, I don't want to add that weight to my luggage.

(I cannot use packs with ice cubes as they hurt my back when I lay on them.)

I didn't know there were such things. I found some on Amazon - 6" x 9" so I'd have to use 3-4 at once - that's doable. I'll check them out. Thank you for helping 

We used something like this:

Portable Travel Cooler https://a.co/d/0aWaqJ7g

There are different sizes, so you should be able to easily accommodate several ice packs. Have your cabin steward fill it with ice, then put your ice packs in it. They're leakproof, so no mess, and the ice lasts more than a day.

Screenshot_20240707_232315_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.d0ddc641396fe8192c52312fdb55678c.jpg

Posted (edited)

We had friends who needed ice packs for a bum knee and they were able to arrange with their room steward to have them frozen and they would be delivered to the cabin daily at a preset time. You can ask when you board.  This was some years ago but I would hope this could still be arranged. 

Edited by arzz
  • Like 3

My wife has used the chemical icepacks and they do work (for a very short period of time).

Another option would to be to get a reusable ice/hot water bag (amazon has a ton of these) and ask the steward to keep your ice bucket full (or go to a bar).  A whole lot cheaper!

As an aside, I think stores in the airport (after security, of course) should sell normal ice packs for medication (and physical relief).

11 hours ago, arzz said:

We had friends who needed ice packs for a bum knee and they were able to arrange with their room steward to have them frozen and they would be delivered to the cabin daily at a preset time. You can ask when you board.  This was some years ago but I would hope this could still be arranged. 

This sounds like the best solution 

I suggest sending an email to Ship Services beforehand.  Explain your situation and emphasize that you cannot use ice for that purpose.  Also include your booking number.  They should get back to you within a few days.

Their email address is HAL_Ship_Services@hollandamerica.com

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

@bcd2010 If you’re flying, check with your airline and TSA to ensure the substance in the packs is permissible. I have heard of some travelers taking a doctor’s statement to show in case the packs melt.

Good luck and safe travels!

Edited by syesmar

When we were cruising shortly after my wife's knee replacement we used ziplock bags and filled them with ice.  Staff was happy to fill them for us.

Posted (edited)

This is definitely a concern for me and I was thinking about how I should go about it. I got some great ideas here. thank you all . @bcd2010 Thanks for addressing this.

Edited by shadow 123
  • Like 1

Look up Holland America's Guest Access department. They handle all the special needs things. Ship Services does dining and whatnot.