Shocked and Baffled with Bitter Cunard Cruise Customer Support

Carmel007

Posted (edited)

Dear Cruise Family.

This is our first time with Cunard, normally we cruise with Royal and Norwegian.

We have an upcoming transatlantic cruise in next 18 days.

Already tasted a soar apple experience with their customer service.

As last minute travel, we got very basic inside cabin. Glad we are happy that we can cruise and visit grand parents in Germany.

We are with kids and desperately looking for a possibility of a upgrade, based on the reviews I read so far 😉

I already bought super expensive WIFI and lone shore excursion, so that we do not deal with boredom.

Just few moments ago,  have called Cunard customer support (800) 728-6273 for the same, but I got very bitter and soar experience.

The lady on the phone is kind of, you paid what you get and there is no choice for you anyway, just live with it & No choice for you

Not even tried to validate anything. There is not even kind of response even when I started with Good Morning very politely.

Seems she is already fed up with her day at morning 9 AM.

This is kind of support not acceptable, I am really disappointed.

This is not a good beginning to start a Cunard cruise. All I wanted if there is a possibility if not put in wait list.

-SK.

Edited by Carmel007

• Carmel007 changed the title to Shocked and Baffled with Bitter Cunard Cruise Customer Support

Discourtesy is always to be frowned upon, and I sympathise with that, but were you really expecting a different substance to their response? On what grounds? 

Welcome to Cruise Critic

Is the crossing shown as sold out ? Did you get an option to bid for an upgrade at some point after booking ?

3 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Discourtesy is always to be frowned upon, and I sympathise with that, but were you really expecting a different substance to their response? On what grounds? 

Normally customer service is super nice, when it comes cruises regardless of what you get or not.

I am really shocked the tone of and lack of interest and dismayed attitude of the person.

1 minute ago, Host Hattie said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic

Is the crossing shown as sold out ? Did you get an option to bid for an upgrade at some point after booking ?

No bid option, that is the reason I have called the service to see if any other options. 

Just now, Carmel007 said:

Normally customer service is super nice, when it comes cruises regardless of what you get or not.

I am really shocked the tone of and lack of interest and dismayed attitude of the person.

I certainly have always found them agreeable, though not always highly competent. But I’m not sure I would expect an upgrade.

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I certainly have always found them agreeable, though not always highly competent. But I’m not sure I would expect an upgrade.

That is my expectations as well, if not possible for upgrade. Just say it nicely with a reason. TBH I didn't expect an upgrade immediately, just a possibility.

I was baffled with the attitude of rep.

Looks like there's one sheltered balcony (6141) and a QG available for that sailing, so I'm not sure why you were told an upgrade wasn't possible.

I assume you were willing to pay for the upgrade?

I've never had any issues with customer services. They've always been polite, friendly, and happy to go out of their way to help me.

The July 27th crossing has very limited availability as one might expect for a voyage so close to departure. Since you mentioned children, I can tell you it currently has no availability at all for cabins that accommodate four passengers (two adults and two children). I am so sorry you experienced brusque treatment from Cunard customer services. It should not be that way. But hopefully this will help with expectations regarding the possibility to upgrade your cabin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Clewgarnet said:

Looks like there's one sheltered balcony (6141) and a QG available for that sailing, so I'm not sure why you were told an upgrade wasn't possible.

I assume you were willing to pay for the upgrade?

I've never had any issues with customer services. They've always been polite, friendly, and happy to go out of their way to help me.

The lady not even given me a chance, just called quits the moment she got my cruise reference #.

Of course I am willing pay for an upgrade.

That is what I am shocked, there is not even a dialogue went into that direction, just closed the doors when knocked the door :)

3 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

The July 27th crossing has very limited availability as one might expect for a voyage so close to departure. Since you mentioned children, I can tell you it currently has no availability at all for cabins that accommodate four passengers (two adults and two children). I am so sorry you experienced brusque treatment from Cunard customer services. It should not be that way. But hopefully this will help with expectations regarding the possibility to upgrade your cabin.

Yes, with two kids. Thank you kindly.  That is my hope as day of embrocation getting closer..

28 minutes ago, Carmel007 said:

Dear Cruise Family.

This is our first time with Cunard, normally we cruise with Royal and Norwegian.

We have an upcoming transatlantic cruise in next 18 days.

Already tasted a soar apple experience with their customer service.

As last minute travel, we got very basic inside cabin. Glad we are happy that we can cruise and visit grand parents in Germany.

We are with kids and desperately looking for a possibility of a upgrade, based on the reviews I read so far 😉

I already bought super expensive WIFI and lone shore excursion, so that we do not deal with boredom.

Just few moments ago,  have called Cunard customer support (800) 728-6273 for the same, but I got very bitter and soar experience.

The lady on the phone is kind of, you paid what you get and there is no choice for you anyway, just live with it & No choice for you

Not even tried to validate anything. There is not even kind of response even when I started with Good Morning very politely.

Seems she is already fed up with her day at morning 9 AM.

This is kind of support not acceptable, I am really disappointed.

This is not a good beginning to start a Cunard cruise. All I wanted if there is a possibility if not put in wait list.

-SK.

NOTE: Just to be clear. I do not have any expectations when I called the Cunard Services, just was looking for possibilities.

But I was annoyed with Customer service treatment, that is a big NO GO!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Carmel007 said:

NOTE: Just to be clear. I do not have any expectations when I called the Cunard Services, just was looking for possibilities.

You should always be treated with respect and courtesy, and my experience is that Cunard is usually fairly keen to extract more money out of you. I can see that there are one or two sheltered balconies left, and a Queens Grill, but that's it, at the moment. It can change, people drop out at the last moment. Usually the way upgrades are made is via a programme called Plusgrade, which has a number of threads in this board if you want to know more, but the critical fact there is that the offers on these go out at around 70 days to departure, and I think you said you made on a very recent booking. As I understand it, they do let Plusgrade get on with upgrades until about 5 days to departure, so I suspect that the agent just wasn't empowered to do much. That doesn't excuse any rudeness.

I would call again in a few days and see if another agent is a bit warmer in their response, but it would not surprise me that you won't have an option until just maybe 4 days to departure. But broadly speaking, if you want to travel in a better stateroom it really is best to book that in the first instance. Upgrading is an awkward game.

Three other points:

- you can try to upgrade when you get onboard, then those unable to travel at the last moment will be clearer. Go to the Sales office (not the purser's desk) on QM2.

- You won't be bored in an inside stateroom. When you have 8 days to do nothing, you won't find enough time in the day to fit it all in. And they take an hour off your day some days!

- I wonder if you are booked through to Hamburg? If so then it may be that if you are ok to move stateroom at Southampton then you may have more options?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

QM2 wasn't built with families in mind and almost all the four berth cabins are inside cabins. There are a few QG cabins that will take four in a double sofa be but if these aren't available then as bluemarble said, there isn't anything you can be upgraded into. The waitlist is handled externally these days and likely you haven't been given the option of bidding for an upgrade because there inventory of 4 berth staterooms is so limited. If you are travelling with three or four people then it is very much a matter of what you pay for is what you get. I now travel with a toddler and we now have a much smaller selection of staterooms to pick from which is a shame but I'd rather be on board than not so I suck it up.

That being said this should have been explained to you politely

• Like 4

Everyone has a Bad Day.

Call first thing every morning looking for a better cabin for 4 that may pop up.

Odds are you will not get that same rep.

Still cabin for 4 cancelations on summer sailings this late are rare.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Carmel007 said:

Well I would have polity asked 'Who am I speaking to please" - Closed the discussion and telephone again within an hour or so and asked to speak with a manager -  or put it in writing. 

• Like 3

Although we've taken 15 or so ocean and river cruises, as new to Cunard, I have called a few times with questions. Unfortunately, I have found the so-called customer service reps to be abrupt and not very pleasant. They interrupt me every time I start to ask a question, so their response is usually unhelpful because they haven't heard what I am actually trying to ask. 
I am going to put their attitudes aside and assume that onboard personnel won't be like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bell Boy said:

Well I would have polity asked 'Who am I speaking to please" - Closed the discussion and telephone again within an hour or so and asked to speak with a manager -  or put it in writing. 

Especially as calls seem to be recorded these days.

I always make a note of time and date when calling these days. A name is an added plus. I once was able to prove my version of a conversation was the accurate one when  it differed from the call taker.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andee said:

Although we've taken 15 or so ocean and river cruises, as new to Cunard, I have called a few times with questions. Unfortunately, I have found the so-called customer service reps to be abrupt and not very pleasant. They interrupt me every time I start to ask a question, so their response is usually unhelpful because they haven't heard what I am actually trying to ask. 
I am going to put their attitudes aside and assume that onboard personnel won't be like that.

Use a cruise agent, then they can take any flack on your behalf.

• Like 1

Just now, Victoria2 said:

Use a cruise agent, then they can take any flack on your behalf.

We do, but I hate to bother her because the answers to my questions could generate other questions, and then it gets to be a whole bunch of emails.

1 minute ago, Andee said:

We do, but I hate to bother her because the answers to my questions could generate other questions, and then it gets to be a whole bunch of emails.

That's their job and don't forget, there's a new fangled device called a telephone. Much quicker than emails. 😀

• Like 1

Just now, Victoria2 said:

That's their job and don't forget, there's a new fangled device called a telephone. Much quicker than emails. 😀

The advantages of email are that I can write at my convenience and she can answer at hers, plus she has my questions in writing, which is easier (and faster) than my reading them to her and her writing them down .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bell Boy said:

Immediately post the call, I sent it in writing to through the Cunard Portal. Let's see how it goes..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andee said:

The advantages of email are that I can write at my convenience and she can answer at hers, plus she has my questions in writing, which is easier (and faster) than my reading them to her and her writing them down .

I use both. Email for non urgent and phone call for either follow up or more pressing. I know my agent is 'there' for me unless on holiday himself and even then, he picks up my emails.

10 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I use both. Email for non urgent and phone call for either follow up or more pressing. I know my agent is 'there' for me unless on holiday himself and even then, he picks up my emails.

We feel the same about our TA, great service, valuable perks.

I'm always careful about contacting her during normal business hours because she'll respond very quickly at any hour and I don't want to be that customer.