Venice vaporetto question

loveapug

Hello, I've been looking into use of the vaporettos in Venice. Our plan is to stay within the city of Venice and will not travel to any other islands, e.g. Murano. Other than using the Grand Canal line to get to St. Marks square, would you recommend taking another vaporetto line to allow one to see other parts of Venice from the water? For instance, would it be worthwhile to try lines 4.1, 4.2, 5.1,or 5.2? We will arrive via train and will be staying close to the train station. Below is a link that I looked at showing the vaporetto lines. Thank you!

https://www.venice-information.com/Vaporetto-in-Venice.html#gallery[pageGallery]/0/

• vaparetto is great and easy to use, it is pricey but part of the experience, recommend using the day(s) pass rather than single use tickets.  it is about a 20 min walk from the train-station to St. Marks (or really anywhere in Venice proper so you can basiclly not use the vaparetto no problem.    Having a phone with google maps is very helpful as sometimes the main walking street is only 4 or 5 ft wide and you would never expect that to be the way to go.
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, loveapug said:

Hello, I've been looking into use of the vaporettos in Venice. Our plan is to stay within the city of Venice and will not travel to any other islands, e.g. Murano. Other than using the Grand Canal line to get to St. Marks square, would you recommend taking another vaporetto line to allow one to see other parts of Venice from the water? For instance, would it be worthwhile to try lines 4.1, 4.2, 5.1,or 5.2? We will arrive via train and will be staying close to the train station. Below is a link that I looked at showing the vaporetto lines. Thank you!

https://www.venice-information.com/Vaporetto-in-Venice.html#gallery[pageGallery]/0/

You don’t say how long you will be in Venice, but I can say that in my 3 night visit, I took the vaporettos all over Venice.  I purchased a 3-day pass and used it many times to visit anything I wanted.  I definitely used it for more than the Grand Canal lines. 

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, loveapug said:

would you recommend taking another vaporetto line to allow one to see other parts of Venice from the water?

I don't think it is necessary to make a special vaporetto trip to see views from the water as opposed to views from the sidewalk / bridges, etc.   All views are great.  The best way to see any city is walking, if you have the time and energy!

However, as mentioned by meheartcruising, the vaporetto can be pretty convenient transportation to get you from point A to point B if you are looking to save some time compared to walking.

If you are walkers, I would suggest walking from your hotel to St. Marks for the first time, it is a great walk.   But then later in your stay if you are just trying to get somewhere consider the vaporetto.

• Thanks 1

If staying for more than a couple of days we would suggest going to some of the other islands.  Murano is an easy trip and a nice place to walk around, browse shops, etc.  Our favorite island is Burano, which is a much longer ride (still covered by a vaporetto pass) and a bit more residential than the other islands.  Burano does have a main street and its share of restaurants.

Hank

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, loveapug said:

Other than using the Grand Canal line to get to St. Marks square,

I suggest that instead of taking the vaporetto from your hotel near the train station to St Marks, that you walk it instead. The vaporetto you would really want to take is the one which runs the length of the Grand Canal passing the palazzos and other attractive buildings along the way.  For most visitors this is #1 on their "Venice must do" list.  Check lines 1 and 2 as these were the ones which used to run the route, and be aware that any vaporettos running the Grand Canal route will be crowded 24/7.

Venice is really a walking city and a delight to wander with something new and picturesque round every corner. . As it is also quite small you may not need to take any other vaporetto to get around especially if you are not intending to visit either Murano or Burano.

it reads as if this will be your first visit.  Have you already browsed the highly recommended and  very informative website https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/ On it you should be able to find all the info and suggestions you would need to make your stay a good one, including info about the vaporettos, their lines and how to use them.

The more you look into that website the more you will find.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, CCJack said:

I don't think it is necessary to make a special vaporetto trip to see views from the water as opposed to views from the sidewalk / bridges, etc.   All views are great.  The best way to see any city is walking, if you have the time and energy!

While I would agree overall that Venice should be seen on foot, that vaporetto trip down the Grand Canal is pretty spectacular ...

• Like 3

On 7/10/2024 at 3:50 PM, TouchstoneFeste said:

that Venice should be seen on foot, that vaporetto trip down the Grand Canal is pretty spectacular ...

Second this. Go get lost among the canals further away from the Grand Canal especially. It's especially tranquil and beautiful, plus you see a bit of "everyday" Venice.

I also took the vaporetto from San Marco to the area of the train station...I think I was just tired from walking all day, it was hot. The vaporetto got really crowded so it didn't quite go as I'd hoped as a scenic lovely boat ride but, I'm still glad I did it. I didn't want to be in a gondola but I had to be on the water!

To me, it wasn't expensive, relative to certain other prices or cities but everyone's considerations re: costs are valid. I was generally always a shoestring traveler and it was doable for me (vaporetto) but I guess everyone picks and chooses their priorities, right? 

What's 100% is that every Venice experience is wonderful. 🙂

• Thanks 1

I may be in the minority, but I didn’t like the vaporetto. We only used it to get back and forth to Murano. It was crowded and people were so pushy to get on. We were in the middle of the line, more like mob, to get on, yet were one of the last ones on because everyone was pushing to get around us. They weren’t even going to let my husband on but did since I already was. 

We used a private taxi to get to our hotel and from our hotel to the airport. We also took a gondola ride. The rest of the time we walked everywhere, but we stayed at the Hotel Rialto, which is centrally located and we enjoy walking. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, NCteacherlovescruising said:

The rest of the time we walked everywhere, but we stayed at the Hotel Rialto, which is centrally located and we enjoy walking. 

What did you think of the Hotel Rialto?

One of our favorite vaporetto rides is to go all the way out to Burano!  It is a long trip (more than 30 minutes) across the lagoon and its nice to escape the crowds of Venice, especially on a hot day.  Since that long vaporetto trip is included in the various day passes, it is a bargain kind of adventure.   While everything in the area would probably qualify as a tourist trap, Burano and Torcello are the least offensive :).

Hank

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jkbec101 said:

What did you think of the Hotel Rialto?

The location was perfect!  Our room was a good size and clean, service was great. The room itself was very dated and the shower was tiny. So small I didn’t even attempt to shave my legs.  The included breakfast was pretty standard and they even had Prosecco and juice sitting out to make mimosas.  It had A/C, and while I was comfortable, my husband said he was too hot to sleep well. There was a place to dock a water taxi right out front which was super convenient. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2024 at 8:50 AM, Hlitner said:

One of our favorite vaporetto rides is to go all the way out to Burano!  It is a long trip (more than 30 minutes) across the lagoon and its nice to escape the crowds of Venice, especially on a hot day.

I would agree.  As I recall, it was a 45 minute ride.  We stopped for lunch on this patio and here is our view from the table. Very picturesque and a good day out if you have the time. 

DSCN5277.JPG

DSCN5275.JPG

• Like 1

I have been to Venice four times, three one-week stays and one three-night visit.  After the first time, I've only used the vaporetto for trips to places I could not walk (Morano, Burano).  I can generally get where I'm going as fast (or faster) on foot, and it's just more interesting. 

I should note that I've never visited Venice in the summer, but twice in the fall, once in winter and once in spring. 

• Thanks 2