Scenic River (Europe) Cruise Questions

16 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Maybe people were having breakfast on their balconies, o n the little table and chairs out there.

I think that's the most likely option. As you'll see from the room service breakfast menu, it's just drinks and pastries.

image.thumb.png.e63e90b238519ea16fde682f7af3200a.png

16 hours ago, Kristelle said:

Pretty sure laundry one bag per trip was included for everyone

Not everyone, just one per cabin.

It is 1 kilo max and the laundry bag is very small, don't expect a hotel sized laundry bag. We managed to get 3 ladies tops and three men's shirts in the bag and then I managed to squeeze in 6 pairs of socks. 

Scenic Azure didn't have any tables for two in the dining room, only tables seating 4  and tables seating 6 .

The seating for Portobello's in the lounge had two tables for two, and a light  meal is served there at lunchtime

We have booked the Crystal for their 7 Oct. Amsterdam to Zurich. Before final payment, our travel agent and I have tried calling their customer service phone number with questions. We both tried several times. It is not easy to get a live person. Each time we finally did get a live person it was a woman and she was in Fiji. She had no answers to any of our questions. She said she has never been to the EU! She stated that we should send an email with our questions. Oh and no one answered the emails.  As we are traveling in the EU before this cruise and will continue traveling after the cruise, we wanted details before final booking payment. 

So we booked our own hotel in Amsterdam and our own flight out of Basel. Our own transfers. Why they are sending people to Zurich when the Basel airport is so much more convenient? We do like to know what to expect before our travels but we have decided that this is an adventure. Think positive, we expect a wow sailing. 

@zak477 Many people want to see Lucerne and Zurich before flying home, and for many US cities the flight selection from Zurich is better than from Basel.

There is very convenient train service from Basel to Lucerne and to the Zurich Airport (there is a train station right underneath the airport).

So my guess is that they have found that most passengers want to fly from Zurich.

7 hours ago, pontac said:

I think that's the most likely option. As you'll see from the room service breakfast menu, it's just drinks and pastries.

image.thumb.png.e63e90b238519ea16fde682f7af3200a.png

Not everyone, just one per cabin.

Yes, correction, one per cabin. - But I meant everyone, as in every level of cabin, not only top suites

Yes, much more options for breakfast i n the dining room - perhaps some people had an early  coffee and pastry first and then had 'real breakfast'  in the dining room too

• Like 1

I really cannot remember if the River Cafe is on the Scenic Azure but it is on Scenics other vessels it serves light meals all day and closes just before dinner. There are tables on the river cafe side and you can also eat in the forward section and outside. 

15 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

@zak477 Many people want to see Lucerne and Zurich before flying home, and for many US cities the flight selection from Zurich is better than from Basel.

There is very convenient train service from Basel to Lucerne and to the Zurich Airport (there is a train station right underneath the airport).

So my guess is that they have found that most passengers want to fly from Zurich.

Thank you for the added info. 

18 hours ago, zak477 said:

Our own transfers. Why they are sending people to Zurich when the Basel airport is so much more convenient?

In the UK the 7 Oct cruise is 8 day Rhine Highlights starting in Amsterdam and ending in Basel with flights from Basel. I assume for USA bookings Zurich offers flights to USA.

There should be UK people on board and if so there will be transport to Basel airport from the boat. 

I don't know about this itinerary but the Scenic Douro cruise had complimentary travel to a destination of passengers choice.

I'd suggest talking with the Cruise Director when you are onboard. If you cannot get complimentary travel to Basel Airport, then if flight times match may be you can ride with the Brits to the airport, otherwise get a taxi. It's got to be better than going on an unwanted bus ride to Zurich and then getting a train back.

2 minutes ago, pontac said:

In the UK the 7 Oct cruise is 8 day Rhine Highlights starting in Amsterdam and ending in Basel with flights from Basel. I assume for USA bookings Zurich offers flights to USA.

There should be UK people on board and if so there will be transport to Basel airport from the boat. 

I don't know about this itinerary but the Scenic Douro cruise had complimentary travel to a destination of passengers choice.

I'd suggest talking with the Cruise Director when you are onboard. If you cannot get complimentary travel to Basel Airport, then if flight times match may be you can ride with the Brits to the airport, otherwise get a taxi. It's got to be better than going on an unwanted bus ride to Zurich and then getting a train back.

We booked our own air out of Basel going to London. We will being continuing our travels aboard the Queen Anne. My TA did get at least a bit of info that if Scenic didn't book the air, no transfers. It was suggested that once onboard, Maybe, they will get us a taxi.  If not, I always can book myself with Blacklane. 

Curious - what is the travel time between Zurich airport and Basel where the ships dock? Looking at a sailing next year Basel to Amsterdam. Flying into Zurich from NY (USA) super convenient and direct 😉  

7 minutes ago, BobMartha said:

Curious - what is the travel time between Zurich airport and Basel where the ships dock? Looking at a sailing next year Basel to Amsterdam. Flying into Zurich from NY (USA) super convenient and direct 😉  

Are you planning on taking trains and will you be arriving in Basel the day your cruise departs?

1 minute ago, BobMartha said:

We would be flying in (overnight flight from US) into Zurich the morning of the sailing.

Scenic (I believe) provides transfer from airport?

I don't know about Scenic although I suspect they do offer a transfer service, which I would opt for if arriving at ZRH the day of the cruise.

Otherwise, you can take trains from ZRH to Basel.  Mostly, there is a change at Zurich main station although there are some direct to Basel train station.  It takes about 1 1/2 hours to get from ZRH to Basel train station.

https://www.sbb.ch/en

Presumably, you'd stay in an hotel for at least one night then take a taxi to the cruise dock(s).

3 hours ago, BobMartha said:

Curious - what is the travel time between Zurich airport and Basel where the ships dock?

Google maps show around 92km, 1h15 by car, so say 1.5h by coach. If Scenic booked your flight I'd expect them to meet you at arrivals and coach you to boat, but you can get that info from Scenic.

Thanks all - definitely would work to fly in and transfer to the ship day of...I know never ideal in case of delays/cancellations but juggling work schedules never easy 😉