Food on Viking Ocean

Lenbro1944

26 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

If you take a galley tour, you will see all the bread is baked on board - including those awful bagels.

Gosh, it takes real talent to home bake stuff that tastes factory made!! I was never 100% sure if the white sliced stuff at breakfast was supposed to be bread or cake……..so sweet!

Posted (edited)

There are indeed a number of Viking Food threads already in existence.

And again- this is like debating politics and wine.  Everyone has their own opinion, often quite strong, and listening to others doesn't much help if you don't yet have an opinion, as you really need to do a Viking cruise and see how YOU like it, or not.  What others think is not relevant.  It reminds me so much of people saying I hate Cabernet or another wine varietal and others saying they love it.  It all depends on your tastes, your mood, time of year, company you are with, what else you are doing, and much more.

But it certainly is entertaining to hear people's extreme opinions  🙂

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 7

48 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

including those awful bagels.

It's the water. They should be trucking it in from Brooklyn or Philadelphia if they want anything near a decent bagel -- and even then a good bagel is hard to duplicate.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

It's the water. They should be trucking it in from Brooklyn or Philadelphia if they want anything near a decent bagel -- and even then a good bagel is hard to duplicate.

You are no doubt correct!

We usually skip the breads, potatoes, and stuff we can get better at home and stick to the protein and salads (seafood, meat, sashimi, etc.) and especially the Dan Dan Noodles!   My expectation for bread and pastries on a cruise ship is low, so thus not too disappointed with the occasional item.   Now - most of the chef's do a really good Oatmeal cookie - if your style is soft and chewy rather than crispy.

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

That’s part of it - but I’ve had bagels in other parts of the US that run rings around Viking.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Squawkman said:

If you take a galley tour, you will see all the bread is baked on board - including those awful bagels.

But is the dough made on board?  Our galley tour said that everything is baked on board, but when I asked about croissants I was told they don’t make the dough on board, it’s bought frozen and baked off.

Edited by Mich3554

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CCWineLover said:

You are no doubt correct!

We usually skip the breads, potatoes, and stuff we can get better at home and stick to the protein and salads (seafood, meat, sashimi, etc.) and especially the Dan Dan Noodles!   My expectation for bread and pastries on a cruise ship is low, so thus not too disappointed with the occasional item.   Now - most of the chef's do a really good Oatmeal cookie - if your style is soft and chewy rather than crispy.

DH is addicted to the chocolate chocolate chip.  They had macadamia nut cookies on the last cruise, which became my fave but got replaced by the oatmeal ones halfway through.  They do a decent peanut butter cookie too, IMO.

I do have to mention that on the same last trip, they did a quite good Mac and cheese.  I mentioned it to one of the soy chefs as he put out a pan, and he said he had made it.  I asked him what cheese he used, only Parmesan.  I still need to try out what he told me.  

Edited by Mich3554

Posted (edited)

We just finished the British Isles Explorer on July 18th; having read numerous reports that service had declined since Covid, we were curious to see how we would find our cruise.

FOOD - as good or better than previous cruises, both ocean and river; the only caveats were:  a) we were unable to add any specialty restaurant reservations once we got on the ship, except for an offer for a 7:30pm spot on a 6-top (we declined); b) our servers in Manfredi's on our ONE dinner there (all we were able to get) made 4 glaring errors in service--I got the wrong entree, another diner never got his 1st course, desserts were all mixed up, diner got steak that was overcooked.

SERVICE - we found service on the ship to be easily as good as other cruises. Without exception, staff were cordial, friendly, helpful, and a pleasure.

I found the food in the Restaurant and World Cafe as good or better than previous cruises; I know others may disagree, but my wife and I found that the food quality was easily as good as our previous cruises.

Others' experiences may vary.

OF NOTE: The Dan Dan Noodles, served at the aft end of the ship, in World Cafe, is excellent; we had it almost every day for lunch.

Edited by longterm
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

...and especially the Dan Dan Noodles!   

You are correct! The Dan Dan Noodles are really delicious; I meant to get a copy of the recipe but I forgot...

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

But is the dough made on board?  Our galley tour said that everything is baked on board, but when I asked about croissants I was told they don’t make the dough on board, it’s bought frozen and baked off.

I n think it is, but not 100% sure.

1 hour ago, Mich3554 said:

I 100% believe that.

The Viking wait staff insists that all bread onboard is freshly baked daily. Based upon previous experience, I believe that. The expedition ships have a very open corner of the world cafe that shows the bakers doing their thing.

The croissants though, I have never seen the bakers working on that dough. It's really not a big deal to me, but I would quietly suspect that all of the croissants are brought in frozen and baked onboard. They're simply too consistent shaped and that would be challenging to do by hand. The cookies, too, I can see coming in frozen and baked onboard. TBH, I'm a bakery snob, and I place zero faults in Viking for doing things this way. I would do the same even if this were RSSC or higher.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/20/2024 at 12:00 PM, CCWineLover said:

Now - most of the chef's do a really good Oatmeal cookie - if your style is soft and chewy rather than crispy.

We love the oatmeal raisin cookies. We sometimes skip dessert in the restaurant and go up to the buffet for a dish of ice cream and an oatmeal raisin cookie. Now that I think of it, you could probably ask for that for your dessert in the restaurant.

That's one of the things that we like about Viking, that they don't let requests like that faze them, especially something that is easy to do to make the guests happy and feel well cared for.

Edited by AZ_Tim
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, AZ_Tim said:

That's one of the things that we like about Viking, that they don't let requests like that faze them, especially something that is easy to do to make the guests happy and feel well cared for.

On our last cruise, I commented to the chef that I missed the chocolate raspberry mousse from the previous evening. When we later retired to our stateroom, we found two servings on the desk. 

image.thumb.jpeg.f1823ec82fa16ba3885273e5fc3c15a2.jpeg

• Like 8

On 7/20/2024 at 11:02 AM, Groovybusybee said:

Gosh, it takes real talent to home bake stuff that tastes factory made!! I was never 100% sure if the white sliced stuff at breakfast was supposed to be bread or cake……..so sweet!

If it’s not near the toaster it’s brioche. I learned the hard way that it’s not near the toaster because it burns very quickly. I thought it was delicious. I could live on bread and bakery items (though not for very long!) and I never found anything I didn’t like. I avoid bagels pretty much everywhere though.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 12:40 PM, Mike07 said:

I 100% believe that.

The Viking wait staff insists that all bread onboard is freshly baked daily. Based upon previous experience, I believe that. The expedition ships have a very open corner of the world cafe that shows the bakers doing their thing.

The croissants though, I have never seen the bakers working on that dough. It's really not a big deal to me, but I would quietly suspect that all of the croissants are brought in frozen and baked onboard. They're simply too consistent shaped and that would be challenging to do by hand. The cookies, too, I can see coming in frozen and baked onboard. TBH, I'm a bakery snob, and I place zero faults in Viking for doing things this way. I would do the same even if this were RSSC or higher.

I’ve seen the croissants being hand made on the expedition ship where the bakery is in an open area of the world cafe.

One more thing… on one of the cruises, while on a galley tour, the executive chef did mention that all the flour used on board was sourced from France.

Bon apetit.

On 7/20/2024 at 3:40 PM, Mike07 said:

The Viking wait staff insists that all bread onboard is freshly baked daily.

The statement is true; it is the question that is wrong. Just because the baking of the dough takes place on the ship does not mean that that all of the steps prior to baking were necessarily done on the ship.

The question to ask is if the dough is made from scratch on board the ship or is the dough frozen and ready to bake.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

The statement is true; it is the question that is wrong. Just because the baking of the dough takes place on the ship does not mean that that all of the steps prior to baking were necessarily done on the ship.

The question to ask is if the dough is made from scratch on board the ship or is the dough frozen and ready to bake.

Pizza Hut bakes everything fresh too but the dough is frozen.

On 7/10/2024 at 7:35 PM, Lenbro1944 said:

Just booked our 1st Viking cruise….Let’s hear what your opinion of the food is.

Welcome to Viking!

We are pescatarians who eat fish and vegetarian food. With that in mind, we find the food to be outstanding.

Our last cruise on the Jupiter, there was only one dish that was a miss- undercooked sea bass. That is pretty impressive. Fresh fruits and vegetables are always available. The only complaints we’re heard were over the meat which is challenging to get just right.