easy way to call family from ship

lovetosew

Here's a question: our plan has unlimited data use in US Canada and Mexico.  We will be on an Alaska cruise next June, Vancouver to Seward.  Some has recommended only using data in port, switching to airplane mode and wifi while the ship is sailing.

On an Alaska cruise, will we be that far out to sea for this to matter?  We sail on the eastern side of Vancouver Island, and will often be between islands.  In other words, how far out to sea do you have to be before you're outside the USA/Canada/Mexico zone?

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, sharkster77 said:

Here's a question: our plan has unlimited data use in US Canada and Mexico.  We will be on an Alaska cruise next June, Vancouver to Seward.  Some has recommended only using data in port, switching to airplane mode and wifi while the ship is sailing.

On an Alaska cruise, will we be that far out to sea for this to matter?  We sail on the eastern side of Vancouver Island, and will often be between islands.  In other words, how far out to sea do you have to be before you're outside the USA/Canada/Mexico zone?

Depends on the cell tower that pings your phone. The transmitters are directional and they try to design the cells so that they will mostly transmit to their own country. However this is not totally possible as there is no way to block a signal at the border. The theoretical range of a cell tower is in the 30 km range (18.6 miles) and has to do with the protocol not the physical properties of the transmitters.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne

Your phone might decide to connect to the ship instead of the land tower if the signal is interrupted by an island.  Large charges could ensue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dd57 said:

Your phone might decide to connect to the ship instead of the land tower if the signal is interrupted by an island.  Large charges could ensue.

Not if you keep it on airplane mode.  

On 7/16/2024 at 2:32 PM, MamaFej said:

You might want to check to see if your Verizon plan is eligible for the $10/month international calling add-on. We've been using it since late last year, and it has saved us quite a bit of money and hassles (acquiring SIMs).

When we had Verizon, it was $10 per 24-hr day, not per month.  Has that changed?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

When we had Verizon, it was $10 per 24-hr day, not per month.  Has that changed?

No. It depends on your plan. The low cost plans will pay the most for international coverage.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

No. It depends on your plan. The low cost plans will pay the most for international coverage.

So glad we switched to T-Mobile.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

So glad we switched to T-Mobile.

We switched from Verizon a couple of months ago when our bill went up 20% without notice. They started billing a 5G surcharge per line even though one of the phones is not 5G capable. 
Will be trying T-Mobile for the first time internationally in a couple of weeks.

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

We switched from Verizon a couple of months ago when our bill went up 20% without notice. They started billing a 5G surcharge per line even though one of the phones is not 5G capable. 
Will be trying T-Mobile for the first time internationally in a couple of weeks.

We're on the Magenta Max 55+ plan, which unfortunately no longer available for new subscribers.  This plan has unlimited calls, text, and 5G data (where available) in the US, Canada, and Mexico.  Internationally, we have unlimited texts,  5GB of high speed data per line per month , unlimited 256kbs after that, and 25 cents per call, for 256 countries.  We've used it in Canada, Argentina, and Chile and were very happy with the service.  And of course, it includes WiFi calling.  The newer version of our plan is more expensive, but provides a much higher data allowance in foreign countries.  We have a hot spot allowance, which we haven't used, but the newer plan has a much higher allowance.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

Yes. It used to be $10 a day on our plan, but they added the $10 a month last year. 

We've been with Verizon since it was LA Cellular in our area, and are grandfathered into a pretty low-cost plan. 

Not all offers are available to all users. but it's definitely worth asking about. My niece was able to add to $10 a month international service to her plan this summer, and she's on a different Verizon plan than we are. 

Good luck. 

We used the Verizon $10/day - max of $100 per month when we were in Europe in 2019 - now we are offered $10/day (with no max) or activate a plan that is $100/30 days. We will be gone 31 days - with first day travel in US, arriving next day in Rome. We will only use one phone. We had no extra charges on our Alaskan cruise. 

• Like 1

If your carrier international plan is expensive, I highly recommend Airalo. It's an app and service that adds an eSIM to your phone. Data plans are inexpensive and flexible: you get a number of GB data and can choose country or region. For example, we chose one for Europe for our River Cruise, and could use the phone while on all the excursions for maps, email etc. It does not provide phone calls, but you can use WhatsApp or FaceTime instead.  

Very easy to use, you can download the app from android or apple app stores, and buy the eSIM on the app and add it to your phone with the app. (its easier than it sounds). I am not affiliated, just a user. 

https://www.airalo.com

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, cmason said:

If your carrier international plan is expensive, I highly recommend Airalo. It's an app and service that adds an eSIM to your phone. Data plans are inexpensive and flexible: you get a number of GB data and can choose country or region. For example, we chose one for Europe for our River Cruise, and could use the phone while on all the excursions for maps, email etc. It does not provide phone calls, but you can use WhatsApp or FaceTime instead.  

Very easy to use, you can download the app from android or apple app stores, and buy the eSIM on the app and add it to your phone with the app. (its easier than it sounds). I am not affiliated, just a user. 

https://www.airalo.com

I concur. I started using Airalo after Verizon charged me $10 a DAY when I accidently turned on the phone and received a text message.

Very easy to use and you can buy the minimum amount of GBs. When you start running out it will notify you and you can buy more if needed.

We have used it in Europe and South America. You can get 30 days of coverage for $15 for 5GB. 

Edited by OneSixtyToOne
  • Like 2

Verizon has several options for international access (service in EU)and it is wise to check them out before you go if you plan to use your phone AT ALL. There is the $10 a day plan which is fine if you ensure your phone is OFF or AIRPLANE mode.  When I go to EU I'm usually there for 3 weeks at a time and I sign up for VER' international $100 for 30 days. At the present time that gives unlimited data & texts and 250 minutes.  It does NOT auto renew unless you ask for this, so I activate b4 a trip and am covered with no surprises.