Done with Cunard

On 8/8/2024 at 7:32 AM, QuestionEverything said:

I was on the QM2 in June.

The "scones" were dry, pre-made and the "clotted cream" was something white/yellow thick paste.

Suffice it to say ourselves and our tablemates never returned to Afternoon Tea. A total disappointment.

You want a real Afternoon Tea - try Oceania - now that are ship made scones and real clotted cream and fabulous sandwiches and tortes etc.

Sorry to say this, but it is reality.

While we, on the other hand, had miserable experience with the mostly tasteless offerings on Oceania. Tried their afternoon tea twice on a 10-day transatlantic and it did not improve the second time. Can’t say that I remember their scones, but the cakes and sandwiches looked great and tasted bland. 

Point being that any line can screw things up (and so far all have) at least once. When it happens frequently, one needs to be concerned. 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 7:58 AM, exlondoner said:

We had tea a couple of times on QA in May. The scones had every appearance of being freshly made, and I think the cream was clotted. Scones do tend to be quite dry rather than moist like fruit cake, and I think clotted cream is a thick yellow paste. What exactly were you expecting?

Thanks for your post.

Our table agreed the scones were the exact same shape and had a round yellowish color on top giving them a mass made impression. 

I do remember the scones previously on QM2 as being irregular in shape, meaning each one looked different with width, height and shape, and much thicker making them easy to take apart.

That was our impression, we do not know if they are made a shore or on the QM2. Suffice it to say we were not impressed.

Glad to hear others were happy with their scones.

8 minutes ago, ExArkie said:

While we, on the other hand, had miserable experience with the mostly tasteless offerings on Oceania. Tried their afternoon tea twice on a 10-day transatlantic and it did not improve the second time. Can’t say that I remember their scones, but the cakes and sandwiches looked great and tasted bland. 

Point being that any line can screw things up (and so far all have) at least once. When it happens frequently, one needs to be concerned. 

Thanks for sharing! 

I have had the impression for some time that more and more food on ships are now mass market, pre-made, frozen and thawed - that includes Oceania.

I have notice this much more since covid - so I assume it is a cost savings move.

Sigh.

Keep well!

• Like 1

I'm forcing myself to endure afternoon tea in the Queens Room today, so I can report back on the state of Annie's scones.

I hope everyone appreciates the sacrifices I make for this board.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

19 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

Thanks for sharing! 

I have had the impression for some time that more and more food on ships are now mass market, pre-made, frozen and thawed - that includes Oceania.

I have notice this much more since covid - so I assume it is a cost savings move.

Sigh.

Keep well!

I should have thought the logistics of carrying dry ingredients rather than the complications of storing frozen stuff on board was one of several reasons why making stuff on board was the more attractive option.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

I should have thought the logistics of carrying dry ingredients rather than the complications of storing frozen stuff on board was one of several reasons why making stuff on board was the more attractive option.

That’s exactly what went through my mind. I highly doubt that they are using frozen pre-mades. When you consider that the dough is all cut using the same size cookie cutter and all placed in the same oven together, it is no big surprise that they are uniform. That is the goal!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

I'm forcing myself to endure afternoon tea in the Queens Room today,

Enjoy!! Would love a report on the variety of tea(s) served. I'm wondering if herbal is offered or if I should pick up teabags in King's Court and ask for hot water?

Edited by RK-NC
correction

39 minutes ago, QuestionEverything said:

Thanks for your post.

Our table agreed the scones were the exact same shape and had a round yellowish color on top giving them a mass made impression. 

I do remember the scones previously on QM2 as being irregular in shape, meaning each one looked different with width, height and shape, and much thicker making them easy to take apart.

That was our impression, we do not know if they are made a shore or on the QM2. Suffice it to say we were not impressed.

Glad to hear others were happy with their scones.

I was actually quite surprised by the scones when we first cruised Cunard. I really thought they must buy little frozen rounds in and bake them off.(I realise they would fill a whole freezer though🤣) They all looked exactly the same, thin, not chunky yummy ones that we are used to. They taste okay-ish, but I very rarely have one nowadays, whereas at home I love a nice scone out, particularly freshly homemade ones, and would choose one over the myriad of other tasty treats. However they are becoming few and far between to find these days. Oh, and I have just with butter, preferably a thick layer! My husband enjoys the Cunard ones though, I would rather have 3 pieces of Battenburg cake!

Posted (edited)

I'm happy to report the scone was delicious, and served with clotted cream, not whipped. The scone was a little moister than those I make at home, which is what I'm always striving for. No big air pockets but a general lightness. I could have eaten twice as much clotted cream, though!

DSC_1835.thumb.JPG.14b25b43e7a24997ea9a984f14f27130.JPG

Edited by Clewgarnet
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

I'm happy to report the scone was delicious, and served with clotted cream, not whiped. The scone was aDSC_1835.thumb.JPG.14b25b43e7a24997ea9a984f14f27130.JPG little moister than those I make at home, which is what I'm always striving for. No big air pockets but a general lightness. I could have eaten twice as much clotted cream, though!

But were the others all identical, which would apparently be a bad thing? 😀 If I were there, I might have asked for a little more cream.

Edited by exlondoner
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But were the others all identical, which would apparently be a bad thing? 😀 If I were there, I might have asked for a little more cream.

Sadly, I didn't think to ask if I could measure the surrounding scones!

I'll have to go again tomorrow, so I can compare the photo to the new one. Not as scientific, I know.

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

I'll have to go again tomorrow

Perhaps take a tape measure and scales with you so that we can have a definitive answer - although that will not explain if they are "bought in" or "home made" - that will require a visit to the galley

It does not make sense to bring in scones. They have large rolling machines  for all kinds of dough and cookie cutters they probably cut at least 50 at a time, considering how many they are serving each day.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ratflinger said:

It does not make sense to bring in scones. They have large rolling machines  for all kinds of dough and cookie cutters they probably cut at least 50 at a time, considering how many they are serving each day.

Exactly. Thank you.

3 hours ago, Clewgarnet said:

Sadly, I didn't think to ask if I could measure the surrounding scones!

I'll have to go again tomorrow, so I can compare the photo to the new one. Not as scientific, I know.

You might stop by the buffet, where there will be plenty set out so that you have a reasonable sample for your research. 

1 hour ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

You might stop by the buffet, where there will be plenty set out so that you have a reasonable sample for your research. 

It's just a shame I didn't bring my laser measure with me for real accuracy in my measurements!

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Clewgarnet said:

It's just a shame I didn't bring my laser measure with me for real accuracy in my measurements!

Maybe you can buy one at the next port!

17 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

Maybe you can buy one at the next port!

Sadly, I'm disembarking at the next port. And, much as I would love to do a MylesS, I have to be in the office next week.

Also, I miss my horse. I don't think I could bring her with me, even on the QM2.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Clewgarnet said:

I'm happy to report the scone was delicious, and served with clotted cream, not whipped. The scone was a little moister than those I make at home, which is what I'm always striving for. No big air pockets but a general lightness. I could have eaten twice as much clotted cream, though!

What we had and saw was nothing like that. I'd describe it as quenelle shaped portions of a cross between a fresh and a butter cream. It didn't appear to melt easily, but certainly wasn't clotted.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Clewgarnet said:

That looks so much nicer than what I have had onboard in recent years. I might have to have another try.

On 8/9/2024 at 9:36 AM, Clewgarnet said:

Thanks for the photo.

Your scone and cream is very much not like what I was provided in June on QM2. Someone else has posted below that your serving was different than theirs.                  

Hummm

Your scone is taller, has a glaze that is obviously dripped down the sides, mine had 0. The cream is in a dish, mine was a tiny bit spooned on the side of the plate. Your cream is the color of butter, the cream served to me was a pale yellow with a greyish tinge.

Q - did the servers come aroud with a tea box so you could select your tea preference? Did not happen for me, the servers all had large steel pitchers and they poured the same tea for all.

Most interesting indeed.

Thanks for sharing, keeps this most interesting topic vibrant.

On 8/9/2024 at 5:20 PM, D&N said:

What we had and saw was nothing like that. I'd describe it as quenelle shaped portions of a cross between a fresh and a butter cream. It didn't appear to melt easily, but certainly wasn't clotted.

I know, I just posted my observations from my June QM2 crossing that the cream in the photo is 0 like I was served.

The mystery continues indeed.

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

Thanks for the photo.

Your scone and cream is very much not like what I was provided in June on QM2. Someone else has posted below that your serving was different than theirs.                  

Hummm

Your scone is taller, has a glaze that is obviously dripped down the sides, mine had 0. The cream is in a dish, mine was a tiny bit spooned on the side of the plate. Your cream is the color of butter, the cream served to me was a pale yellow with a greyish tinge.

Q - did the servers come aroud with a tea box so you could select your tea preference? Did not happen for me, the servers all had large steel pitchers and they poured the same tea for all.

Most interesting indeed.

I don’t think that cream is anything like the colour of butter, butter is yellow, that isn’t even yellowish, it is, er, cream coloured, or perhaps a very pale lemon yellow.

1 hour ago, QuestionEverything said:

Thanks for the photo.

Hummm

Most interesting indeed.

Where on QM2 did you go to tea? Were the scone and cream pre-plated, or they did they spoon the cream onto your plate from a larger container? I don't recall seeing scones pre-plated with the cream on the plate, but I suppose the buffet might do that. I have never been served tea from a large steel pitcher on Cunard. In the Queens Room, the waiters always carry china teapots (used to be Doulton, now Wedgewood). 

I have seen the box of tea bags brought around on other lines, but not on Cunard.