OBC or cash off is better?

Docrox12

I have one travel agent offering $100/per person to take over a booking and another offering $250 each OBC. We have booked Viking Homelands 4/26. I'm not a spa person and we aren't big drinkers so we wouldn't use that much for alcohol. We could use it for gratuities.

Which one is better? Cash in hand or more total??? (I did search for this answer but didn't find it posted previously).

My experience is that OBC given to you by a TA is not refundable.  Some can be used before boarding for payment of optional shore excursions, and then transfers over to the ship if you don't use it all, but it is generally not refundable.

In my knowledge, TA's have the ability to ask Viking to make the amount available before boarding or after.  I would ask for before and then it works against any optional excursions you purchase.

If it is just onboard then apply it to your gratuities at the end.

Thanks everyone. I've asked the TA and he said it is refundable. He also said he could give me $100 of the total $500 before the cruise. It sounds like a great deal.

My TA also gives me refundable OBC.  In the case of $100 versus $250, it is a no brainer to me to take the higher amount, as gratuities always exceed $250. Besides, any excess will help pay for some optional excursions.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, millybess said:

OBC from our TA is also refundable.

So if you don't spend it onboard, you get a cheque from your TA?

43 minutes ago, CDNPolar said:

So if you don't spend it onboard, you get a cheque from your TA?

No we would get payment from Viking.  Once the money goes into our account, Viking manages it.  So if it isn't spent, Viking reimburses us, via our credit card, not our TA.  We usually use it for gratuities.

• Like 1

Just one more data point as you consider your options. It’s unclear how long your cruise is but the amount Viking allows a TA to reimburse is based on the length of the cruise. $250 per person isn’t the max allowed for any of the lengths so I suspect the TA you’ve gotten that offer from is holding at least $50/pp back. 

To maximize your value, you may want to find a travel agent that provides the maximum kickback of their commission that Viking allows-$150pp on cruises up to 7 nights, $300pp on 8-14 night cruises, and $500pp on cruises of 15 nights or more.

Like others have mentioned, some agents like the one we use provide this as refundable onboard credits-whatever we don’t use, we get in a check from Viking about two weeks after the cruise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Just one more data point as you consider your options. It’s unclear how long your cruise is but the amount Viking allows a TA to reimburse is based on the length of the cruise. $250 per person isn’t the max allowed for any of the lengths so I suspect the TA you’ve gotten that offer from is holding at least $50/pp back. 

To maximize your value, you may want to find a travel agent that provides the maximum kickback of their commission that Viking allows-$150pp on cruises up to 7 nights, $300pp on 8-14 night cruises, and $500pp on cruises of 15 nights or more.

Like others have mentioned, some agents like the one we use provide this as refundable onboard credits-whatever we don’t use, we get in a check from Viking about two weeks after the cruise. 

Kind of in line with this discussion, apparently Viking is also cracking down on some TA's who were discreetly giving a LOT more than Viking's allowed amount as a post-cruise check.  😞 

5 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Good to know. I'll keep that in mind for the next one.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zelker said:

Kind of in line with this discussion, apparently Viking is also cracking down on some TA's who were discreetly giving a LOT more than Viking's allowed amount as a post-cruise check.  😞 

OH NO !!!!   After our last 33 night VO sailing TA sent us a "Loyalty payment" check for $2k.  Just booked 43 days direct with Viking.  Let's see what TA offers us to transfer booking.

11 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

OH NO !!!!   After our last 33 night VO sailing TA sent us a "Loyalty payment" check for $2k.  Just booked 43 days direct with Viking.  Let's see what TA offers us to transfer booking.

Pls post back here … or email me at barb dot h at comcast dot net if you want to discuss offline.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zelker said:

Pls post back here … or email me at barb dot h at comcast dot net if you want to discuss offline.

Will post back after I speak with TA.  Didn't plan to transfer booking until next month to see if better deal emerges after FD724 expires.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Will post back after I speak with TA.  Didn't plan to transfer booking until next month to see if better deal emerges after FD724 expires.

There's a time limit for which to transfer direct V booking to a TA. When I last booked direct, with intent to transfer to TA, I remember it being 60 days.  Someone please correct me, if different. 

Cruise lines can and do change policies without notice.  Suggest you call in to find out.

I put a deposit on a river cruise March of 2024. Final payment hadn't been made yet. My TA asked Viking and was told "no" by two agents. On the third call he got one that said "yes".

13 hours ago, FetaCheese said:

There's a time limit for which to transfer direct V booking to a TA. When I last booked direct, with intent to transfer to TA, I remember it being 60 days.  Someone please correct me, if different. 

Cruise lines can and do change policies without notice.  Suggest you call in to find out.

This is accurate information.

• Thanks 1

On 7/18/2024 at 9:23 PM, FetaCheese said:

22 hours ago, Docrox12 said:

I put a deposit on a river cruise March of 2024. Final payment hadn't been made yet. My TA asked Viking and was told "no" by two agents. On the third call he got one that said "yes".

19 hours ago, exploretheworldkb77 said:

This is accurate information.

There is a time limit.

The first time you want to pass a reservation to a TA, you must do within 60 days of the booking date.

If you have previously booked with the same TA, you can pass that reservation over to that TA at any time as long as it is 30 days before departure.

This is direct from Viking.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

There is a time limit.

The first time you want to pass a reservation to a TA, you must do within 60 days of the booking date.

If you have previously booked with the same TA, you can pass that reservation over to that TA at any time as long as it is 30 days before departure.

This is direct from Viking.

That's good news.  I love my Viking agent but value the percs I receive from my TA.  Viking agent used to work for Viking Air so is able to assist if air complications arise.  Unfortunately once booking is transferred to TA she is taken out of the loop.  Delaying transfer to TA would be a help.