MSC World America

Does MSC have yacht club cabins outside of the yacht club (like NCL does with Haven cabins)? I am asking because we are looking at the duplex, and it's on deck 16 / 18. The deck plans show interior cabins on deck 16, but they aren't labeled as yacht club interior. I realize it could just be incomplete deck plans, but I wanted to see if anyone knew before we booked. 

Yes there are inside cabins on the YC decks that are not YC. You can tell by the color on the deck plans. They appear to be pretty well walled off from the YC. EM

1 hour ago, Essiesmom said:

Yes there are inside cabins on the YC decks that are not YC. You can tell by the color on the deck plans. They appear to be pretty well walled off from the YC. EM

The following is from another CC member (Captain-John) on World Europa....

To the question about separation of YC from other areas of the ship, the entrance is tucked away behind the elevator bank and really quite discrete on deck 18. On Joy Haven the door was big, bold and in the stairwell area. I can look into this on the other floors in more detail later on. 

20231110_121411.thumb.jpg.c78c3240739c984ad0599d7974e8b2d0.jpg

20231110_121403.thumb.jpg.78094a234606fe5cbe699264c031e81c.jpg

The seperation on 19 is good in my opinion. An unmarked door provides access to the inside cabins and the YC entrance is grander, with key card control. 

20231110_151732.thumb.jpg.61420f1de373a1a65cf88fca1557b4a0.jpg

20231110_151749.thumb.jpg.fa8dc36e9d48951bc7552a9346563450.jpg

On 7/14/2024 at 6:13 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

The following is from another CC member (Captain-John) on World Europa....

To the question about separation of YC from other areas of the ship, the entrance is tucked away behind the elevator bank and really quite discrete on deck 18. On Joy Haven the door was big, bold and in the stairwell area. I can look into this on the other floors in more detail later on. 

20231110_121411.thumb.jpg.c78c3240739c984ad0599d7974e8b2d0.jpg

20231110_121403.thumb.jpg.78094a234606fe5cbe699264c031e81c.jpg

The seperation on 19 is good in my opinion. An unmarked door provides access to the inside cabins and the YC entrance is grander, with key card control. 

20231110_151732.thumb.jpg.61420f1de373a1a65cf88fca1557b4a0.jpg

20231110_151749.thumb.jpg.fa8dc36e9d48951bc7552a9346563450.jpg

I'm concerned that the the number of non-YC cabins in close proximity will greatly increase the number of interlopers into the YC areas.  

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, chrisgp999 said:

I'm concerned that the the number of non-YC cabins in close proximity will greatly increase the number of interlopers into the YC areas.  

No more than on any other MSC ships.  Meraviglia class all have doors from the YC area to the main elevator lobby on deck 14 that are frequently left open because there's a lot of staff/officers going to the bridge areas.

On all the ships there is a simple way to bypass those glass YC sliding doors and lots of people seem to know how.

You just have to trust the YC staff will weed them out.  But I do feel this will be harder on these ships with very large numbers of YC passengers. 

Edited by Até
Typo

6 minutes ago, chrisgp999 said:

It is possible especially since the increased number of actual Yacht Club guests makes it harder for the staff to remember names/faces.

Maybe additional screenings will be needed towards the restaurant, lounge, and sundeck. 😉

On 7/16/2024 at 5:01 PM, Two Wheels Only said:

It is possible especially since the increased number of actual Yacht Club guests makes it harder for the staff to remember names/faces.

Maybe additional screenings will be needed towards the restaurant, lounge, and sundeck. 😉

On the WORLD ships this problem is exacerbated by the fact that there are quite a few non-Yacht Club interior cabins (about 100 total by my count) located right in the middle of the YC cabin enclaves on decks 15-21. This will surely increase the non-Yacht Club passenger traffic near the YC entrances.  MSC is relying on locked walls and locked doors to keep unauthorized passengers out of the YC area.  Increased vigilance by YC staff and passengers will be required.

Posted (edited)

From what our butler told us the biggest interloper problem is coming from YCers giving their non YCer family and friends their wrist bands to access the YC venues and complimentary drinks. Staff have absolutely no hesitation catching and throwing out regular steerage interlopers. They all are hesitant and unwilling to confront a YCer about their friends and family being snuck in.

P.S. We had a great pool attendant last year on the Seascape who loved to catch interlopers on the One Pool Deck. To our dismay we haven't seen him since. No good deed goes unpunished. Complaints, even unfounded fabricated ones hurt staff more and forces them to look the other way in the future. Akin to whistle blowers.

Edited by morpheusofthesea

I saw this week on ebay the sale of the YC wristbands , My first thought was why would someone need this. Then realised these could quite easily worn by  interlopers without any problems in the YC. The staff in YC would hopefully know who is and who is not a genuine guest on that particular cruise . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dazse16 said:

I saw this week on ebay the sale of the YC wristbands , My first thought was why would someone need this. Then realised these could quite easily worn by  interlopers without any problems in the YC. The staff in YC would hopefully know who is and who is not a genuine guest on that particular cruise . 

This will be compounded with a larger Yacht Club on World America.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2024 at 5:12 PM, morpheusofthesea said:

Staff have absolutely no hesitation catching and throwing out regular steerage interlopers. 

Steerage - The part of a ship providing accommodations for passengers with the cheapest tickets.

Not every cabin outside of the Yacht Club is going to be the cheapest tickets, obviously. Cheaper, yes, but not cheapest. I get it that it's easier to use the term steerage, but after reading so many posts with that term, it begins to be offensive.

I don't sail in the YC, because I want to avoid stuck up, bratty, arrogant passengers. I imagine that the majority of the YC passengers do NOT have those negative character traits. Just like the majority of the passengers in the "normal cabins" aren't low life, cheap, obnoxious, uncivilized people.

Could we please stop using the term "steerage" to broadly lump all of the cabins outside the YC? Thank you for reading and considering my request!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

Could we please stop using the term "steerage" to broadly lump all of the cabins outside the YC? Thank you for reading and considering my request!

I love to use the word "steerage". It conveys so much. I do it for the entertainment and to get just such a response as yours. Just as the word "snowflake"  "term for someone who is overly emotional, easily offended, or unable to handle opposing opinions." These terms stimulate discussion. I love the word "interloper" instead of hoi polloi or great unwashed. "I" think that with all the upgrade bidding that most all cruise lines now are all steerage. Noticed that on our recent Regent Grandeur cruise. Don't take offense, I love your posts.

P.S. "The term steerage was used to refer to the lowest category of accommodation, usually not including proper sleeping accommodation. In the United Kingdom, it was often referred to as third class, but there were instances where steerage was effectively fourth-class. In time, the designation came to refer to the lowest category in general, and in modern times is sometimes used sarcastically to refer to any uncomfortable accommodation in an airliner, ship or train.[1][2]"

download.jpg

Edited by morpheusofthesea
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

You have the freedom to not use that word just as others have the freedom to use that word (usually in a light-hearted and joking manner).

Guests (even Bella) aren't staying in the actual inner workings areas of the ship where the steering is done so the term is obviously not meant to be taken literally.

8 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I love the word "interloper" instead of hoi polloi or great unwashed.

Interloper (chapter 17) is also a level of a very popular and highly regarded video game named Half-Life. The fact that MSC ships don't have a deck 17 is just a coincidence. 😉

• Thanks 1

It's ALL Steerage. Shorts in the dining rooms, ball caps as well while dining, bare feet on the upholstery, chair hogging, butting in line at buffet, not using tongs, not washing hands, coughing and sneezing without covering one's mouth, discarding soiled glasses and dishes all over the ship and in corridors instead of calling room service to pick up. I will go on and on. I have photos galore of the lack of etiquette throughout the many ships. This is not limited to just MSC, it is endemic in the cruise industry.  

I once thought that these behaviors were only found in the steerage classes on trains, planes and cruise lines. But I am taking photos of lowlife not only outside the Yacht Club venue but inside the YC as well. Have not been on a ship in years (since covid) outside Miami to Miami closed loop. But does MSC have to notify guests in 6 languages about inappropriate behavior on their other ships world wide or just US sailings? This is really what I am referring to, one expects this behavior from the lowest prices in the cruise industry, attracting the lowest class guest in steerage, but now with upgrade bidding Bella experiencers are getting into the Yacht Club as well. Sure not every steerage passenger is lowlife, the great majority of us (I traveled exclusively in steerage for 50 years) and are decent well behaved individuals.

452629117_501492098908468_1076946781664708893_n.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, morpheusofthesea said:

I love to use the word "steerage". It conveys so much. I do it for the entertainment and to get just such a response as yours. Just as the word "snowflake"  "term for someone who is overly emotional, easily offended, or unable to handle opposing opinions." These terms stimulate discussion. I love the word "interloper" instead of hoi polloi or great unwashed. "I" think that with all the upgrade bidding that most all cruise lines now are all steerage. Noticed that on our recent Regent Grandeur cruise. Don't take offense, I love your posts.

P.S. "The term steerage was used to refer to the lowest category of accommodation, usually not including proper sleeping accommodation. In the United Kingdom, it was often referred to as third class, but there were instances where steerage was effectively fourth-class. In time, the designation came to refer to the lowest category in general, and in modern times is sometimes used sarcastically to refer to any uncomfortable accommodation in an airliner, ship or train.[1][2]"

download.jpg

Okay, maybe I was having a snowflake moment 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, TheBeardedCruiser said:

Steerage - The part of a ship providing accommodations for passengers with the cheapest tickets.

Not every cabin outside of the Yacht Club is going to be the cheapest tickets, obviously. Cheaper, yes, but not cheapest. I get it that it's easier to use the term steerage, but after reading so many posts with that term, it begins to be offensive.

I don't sail in the YC, because I want to avoid stuck up, bratty, arrogant passengers. I imagine that the majority of the YC passengers do NOT have those negative character traits. Just like the majority of the passengers in the "normal cabins" aren't low life, cheap, obnoxious, uncivilized people.

a lot of people use gen pop instead of steerage these days, at least on MSC forums

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, morpheusofthesea said:

It's ALL Steerage. Shorts in the dining rooms, ball caps as well while dining, bare feet on the upholstery, chair hogging, butting in line at buffet, not using tongs, not washing hands, coughing and sneezing without covering one's mouth, discarding soiled glasses and dishes all over the ship and in corridors instead of calling room service to pick up. I will go on and on. I have photos galore of the lack of etiquette throughout the many ships. This is not limited to just MSC, it is endemic in the cruise industry.  

I once thought that these behaviors were only found in the steerage classes on trains, planes and cruise lines. But I am taking photos of lowlife not only outside the Yacht Club venue but inside the YC as well. Have not been on a ship in years (since covid) outside Miami to Miami closed loop. But does MSC have to notify guests in 6 languages about inappropriate behavior on their other ships world wide or just US sailings? This is really what I am referring to, one expects this behavior from the lowest prices in the cruise industry, attracting the lowest class guest in steerage, but now with upgrade bidding Bella experiencers are getting into the Yacht Club as well. Sure not every steerage passenger is lowlife, the great majority of us (I traveled exclusively in steerage for 50 years) and are decent well behaved individuals.

452629117_501492098908468_1076946781664708893_n.jpg

Bravo!!

Could not have stated it better myself.

• Thanks 1

On 7/25/2024 at 10:39 AM, TheBeardedCruiser said:

I prefer Gen Pop

• Thanks 1