Are you a maximalist cruise packer?

57 minutes ago, Bubbeh said:

In 2014 I bought two sets of QANTAS luggage, not cheap at the time but still serviceable and looking good after much travel and handling by baggage people.  I reckon I'll get at least another 5 or more years out of them.

With multiple overseas trips involving many flights and numerous domestic trips each year, the luggage handlers are not kind anywhere. Things get broken.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

I've read through all of the posts and honestly, I never thought about what other people pack on their trips. Interesting reading. I have seen couples with 4 pieces of luggage each (2 large, 2 small) plus a backpack each and they are going on a 4-day cruise. I have an opinion about it but to each their own. I'd have to say we are on the minimalist side. Certain things are a must for us, meds, certain toiletries, glasses, small electronics, etc. Anything else we can buy if we really need it. That rarely has happened. 

One thing to remember is that some people are doing more than a cruise. One time we were away in Europe for 8 weeks but did a 3 night cruise as one bit of the trip. We had a reasonable amount of luggage for the trip but far too much for a 3 night cruise.

Without knowing another's story, we shouldn't judge. Some would say we should never judge on anything.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We have had numerous bags over the years, none have lasted longer than 7 or so years without being damaged in some way, wheel, handle, zipper, casing, etc.

On our last trip to America my brand new suitcase had a wheel ripped off before we even got there!☹️ So if you can get 7 years out of a bag, you have my unmitigated envy.🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ceeceeDee said:

On our last trip to America my brand new suitcase had a wheel ripped off before we even got there!☹️ So if you can get 7 years out of a bag, you have my unmitigated envy.🙂

Some have lasted longer but they are large or very small cases which we rarely use as we tend to use the medium sized cases most.

44 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Without knowing another's story, we shouldn't judge. Some would say we should never judge on anything.

Good point but contrary to much human nature I'm afraid.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

With multiple overseas trips involving many flights and numerous domestic trips each year, the luggage handlers are not kind anywhere. Things get broken.

The trolley handle is #1. Even those that are made to be durable are susceptible to the handler that uses them as an easy way to swing the bag up onto a cart. They are only designed for pulling along. Wheels are another. Some are cheap & nasty, but even the more durable ones are exposed for heaps of unintended abuse. You could make them unbreakable, but you would only have 10kg of allowance left over for your stuff.

That is why carry-on bags last 5 times longer - the handlers are so much kinder to them.

I had a choice of work anniversary gift, so I have a nice expensive Samsonite case on top of the wardrobe waiting for a spin. While the parts are more serviceable than most, I don't expect it to be much more resistance to damage than a cheap imitation.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bubbeh said:
14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

We have had numerous bags over the years, none have lasted longer than 7 or so years without being damaged in some way, wheel, handle, zipper, casing, etc.

In 2014 I bought two sets of QANTAS luggage, not cheap at the time but still serviceable and looking good after much travel and handling by baggage people.  I reckon I'll get at least another 5 or more years out of them.

I've gone through many sets of luggage that died on me after airport luggage handling, but I bought a set from Aldi five years ago that is still going strong. It was called Business Traveller luggage, from memory - a soft sided wheeled suitcase and a matching carry-on size wheeled bag. It was not expensive, so I am amazed at how durable it has been.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, clairebearinaus said:

However, I like to read on a cruise. Real paper books, not from a device. So I tend to fill the extra space in my bag with books from the op shop and donate them to the ship's "library". 

I've recently discovered the joy of audiobooks while cruising.  Very lightweight - I only need my phone and earbuds which I'd be bringing anyway.  And there's just something very luxurious about lounging around, enjoying the sea view while someone reads you a story :).  Staying awake is the tricky part.

I think the beauty of being on a cruise, is you don't have to stay awake.😴 Pleasant dreams and when you wake, you're still on the cruise🛳️....win-win. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

You saw us?  Next time say g'day.

Sorry, I didn't recognize you with the sunglasses.😎 My bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

One thing to remember is that some people are doing more than a cruise. One time we were away in Europe for 8 weeks but did a 3 night cruise as one bit of the trip. We had a reasonable amount of luggage for the trip but far too much for a 3 night cruise.

Valid point.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JJK2008 said:

I think the beauty of being on a cruise, is you don't have to stay awake.😴 Pleasant dreams and when you wake, you're still on the cruise🛳️....win-win. 

I know, I know, but then I miss bits of the book. 

And then there's the risk of dribble...

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, clairebearinaus said:

I know, I know, but then I miss bits of the book. 

And then there's the risk of dribble...

Be grateful, my DW makes me wear a bib just for that reason.🤣

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

I've gone through many sets of luggage that died on me after airport luggage handling, but I bought a set from Aldi five years ago that is still going strong. It was called Business Traveller luggage, from memory - a soft sided wheeled suitcase and a matching carry-on size wheeled bag. It was not expensive, so I am amazed at how durable it has been.

Gotta love Aldi!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

We bought an Aldi set too, about that time.

A three case set, 1 large, medium and a carry on, they all store into each other.

Been good so far.🙏

Generally we stick to two large & two carry-on's, +a backpack & Hil's woman's carry everything, what did someone call it? a tote?? 

However, on world cruises we use a large van to get us to the ship, thank goodness we live only 15-20 min from the cruise terminal.😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bubbeh said:

Anyway, aren't you ever concerned that common use pillows (ship/hotel/motel etc) aren't properly sanitised?  I always imagine that they're crawling with bugs, skin cells and dandruff.  Have you ever removed the pillow slip and pillow protector and looked at the actual pillow? 

Further to the above, I have neck issues and suffer if I don't use a contour latex/memory foam pillow.  

No I'd never thought of that at all. I guess I just expected all would be clean 😮

7 hours ago, Kristelle said:

No, that doesn't bother me

Ive slept on other people's pillows in private houses, hotels, boats etc  for 6 decades - hasn't hurt me yet so not going to start worrying about it now

My thoughts also.

7 hours ago, Cbtours said:

I say “thanks” which should have a. Exclamation mark!!! I haven’t ever thought about anything crawling and what will I do now if I can’t think it 😣😣😣😣

Yes, now I'm concerned that I will think of Bubbeh's information every time I check in - once the point has been raised, very worried I will never be able to unthink it 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, arxcards said:

I like this type of case. It is hard to pick dimensions without scale, but I would think mine is a bit more elongated. We (or should I say baggage handlers) have busted some good cases over the years, but an el cheapo Caribee bag from Big W Has clocked up over 50 trips. The wheels are just about shot, but I have found some compatible replacements.

Sadly this model is no longer available - it was a Pacsafe and although a bit on the heavier side than new styles it was as solid as a rock. My case was blue and DH had a black one.We took them all over the world on planes, trains, ships over quite a few years. Sadly they did start to wear out so we had to buy new 55cm cases - Samsonite which I do not hold a lot of hope for their longevity but will do for some time I am sure. I quite like Rimowa but they can be heavy (not to mention expensive). 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, Ozwoody said:

How in the world do you get 2 weeks of travel clothes, shoes etc, into a 7kg limit for carry on?

When we travel for up to two weeks I take, change of underwear & socks for each day away plus pants & shirts for half the days away, then all the necessaries like, electronics (Tablet, power boards, shavers, tooth brushes, power charging cords), medications (sprays, antibiotics, etc), Paperwork (passports, insurance, itinerary, planed activities, etc), plus flasks etc.

For cruises longer than 14 days, basically 14 of all the day wear stuff.

No I'm definitely not an over packer.🤣

Our flights always have 10kg carry on. If we are getting close to that we often will check the bag in. We do laundry so never take the full amount of clothes/underwear. Three pairs of shoes for me is max - a pair to wear out and about, pair for dinners, one more day kind often. Usually only 2 outfits for formal night (though a bit over it now and so on the next cruise will probably have dinner in cabin or pizza restaurant). It is not so much the clothes but size and weight of the luggage that I find a trial - anything that is heavy and needs lifting or schlepping is a no no.

Edited by Aussieflyer
  • Like 2

8 years ago, we met a couple on the Paul Gauguin ship (10-day French Polynesia itinerary) who had a tiny backpack per person.  Since then, it's our target to pack that way for a cruise of any length (it helped us a lot on a few occasions with flexibility within flying issues).

• Like 3

15 hours ago, mr walker said:

Yes, now I'm concerned that I will think of Bubbeh's information every time I check in - once the point has been raised, very worried I will never be able to unthink it 🤣

Then my work here is done.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 7/16/2024 at 2:42 PM, Sparky74 said:

Oh, that takes me back! Growing up in Queensland in the late 70s and 80s they were always called "togs" or "swimming togs". DW is from NSW and calls them "bathers". These days we mostly call them "swimmers". 

DW gets cranky if I refer to "peanut paste" so I’ve learnt to call it "peanut butter" even though it still sounds American to me. 🤷‍♂️

Definitely togs here

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, onlyslightlymad said:

Oh, that takes me back! Growing up in Queensland in the late 70s and 80s they were always called "togs" or "swimming togs". DW is from NSW and calls them "bathers". These days we mostly call them "swimmers"

Definitely togs here

DW gets cranky if I refer to "peanut paste" so I’ve learnt to call it "peanut butter" even though it still sounds American to me. 🤷‍♂️

We say bathers although I grew up saying swimming costume.  The unfortunate legacy of 10 Pound Pom parents - quickly teased out of me at school swimming lessons.  

@onlyslightlymad Oh for a life where the only reason Grumpy got cranky was if I said paste instead of butter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bubbeh said:

Oh for a life where the only reason Grumpy got cranky was if I said paste instead of butter.

I never said it was the ONLY reason she gets cranky! 🤣

In fairness, I sometimes get cranky too. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
  • Haha 2