QM2 QG Dining Tables versus QE

e&mcruise

Hello Cunard experts.

Looking forward to our upcoming TA in QG on QM2. Having recently sailed in QG on QE we had a wonderful window table looking out on to the water. Our understanding is that window table on QM2 in QG overlooks the promenade deck. As we have no desire to be goldfish in the bowl for passers by, what area of QG would you recommend as being the most "intimate" for a table of 2? Or have we misunderstood the layout/set-up?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

18 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

Hello Cunard experts.

Looking forward to our upcoming TA in QG on QM2. Having recently sailed in QG on QE we had a wonderful window table looking out on to the water. Our understanding is that window table on QM2 in QG overlooks the promenade deck. As we have no desire to be goldfish in the bowl for passers by, what area of QG would you recommend as being the most "intimate" for a table of 2? Or have we misunderstood the layout/set-up?

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

I’d still choose to be next to the window if you can. A few people walking by are not a big deal, and I didn’t feel stared at when we had a window table. But the restaurant is on Deck 7, and doesn’t have the expansive views of those on the Vistas.

The seating at the window nearest the door, is given to Q1's, Q2's then Q3's.

We've had window seating on QV, QE and QM2. On QM2, you do get the odd person peering in, but it's not a big problem.

Further away from the door, the promenade deck is enclosed so there is no view whatsoever (apart from the walkers and runners).

Nobody books QG on QM2 for the view!

• Like 2

I would suggest, you wait for your allocated table, check out the restaurant and then talk to the maitre d' if you like to change tables. If you are allocated at a window and do not like it for sure somebody would like to switch for a window table. I usually have a window table on qm2 and ike it. The occasional bypasser does not bother me.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigMac1953 said:

Nobody books QG on QM2 for the view!

So no view at all from QG on QM2 as with QE? Would definitely prefer to be on the "inner" of the room then as have no desire to feel like an animal in the zoo during feeding time. 🙂

1 minute ago, e&mcruise said:

So no view at all from QG on QM2 as with QE? Would definitely prefer to be on the "inner" of the room then as have no desire to feel like an animal in the zoo during feeding time. 🙂

I don’t know why you would feel like an animal in the zoo. Even though the service has allegedly deteriorated, I don’t think the waiting staff will actually throw the food at you. There is a large and gloomy indent in the restaurant where some tables must be at least ten from the window. You should be all right there.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Odd... we did QM2 in QG back when it was in the original (and I think much nicer) decor and set-up. And Princess Grill in PG. Both times we had "window" seats and never once felt such concerns or experienced being "peered at".  Although last time on QM2, I did get to count off the laps of a few daily walkers at breakast over the course of 28 days so maybe you can think of "peering" at passersbys as a distraction. It guess it works both ways if you even think of it one way or another... we surely did not.   

The bigger distraction is the Verandah restaurant on QM2 which directly overlooks the outdoor smoker's corner.  Not an especially nice outlook if I may say.. and "they" get to look at a mostly deserted restaurant.

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Host Hattie said:

Photographs may help

IMG_20191117_135214_1.jpg

IMG_20191118_092301_1.jpg

Thanks Host Hattie. Very helpful. Definitely don't want a window seat based on these pics. Looks like a Vegas restaurant where people can lean over and ask what you're "eatin'? ". Realise they can't do this so please don't take me literally. 🙂 However it did happen to us in Vegas where a "lovely" couple leaned over our table adjoining an open walkway and said "Hey that looks good....can we try a piece?"......soooooo not real keen to repeat that sort of experience with someone possibly knocking on the window and playing charades with us to find out what we are eating. Find this set-up particularly odd. Almost like, "let's put the QG people on display so you lower classes can see how they dine in their natural habitat" which is either very Richard Attenborough or I have watched Titanic too many times!!! 🙂

Well, no matter how much Cunard is "Slouching towards Gomorrah" to some of we old regulars, dare we hope it, in any aspect, will ever deserve comparison with "Vegas".....

I cannot imagine you will experience that kind of behaviour on a Cunarder. Maybe in another decade, though...

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

Well, no matter how much Cunard is "Slouching towards Gomorrah" to some of we old regulars, dare we hope it, in any aspect, will ever deserve comparison with "Vegas".....

I cannot imagine you will experience that kind of behaviour on a Cunarder. Maybe in another decade, though...

Let's all pray to the Cunard gods it never gets to that but having seen thongs/flip flops and shorts in QG I think your decade estimate maybe a bit hopeful unfortunately. So I fear Vegas (attitudes) could be closer than you might think, hence our reticence for the fishbowl seating.

40 minutes ago, e&mcruise said:

Thanks Host Hattie. Very helpful. Definitely don't want a window seat based on these pics. Looks like a Vegas restaurant where people can lean over and ask what you're "eatin'? ". Realise they can't do this so please don't take me literally. 🙂 However it did happen to us in Vegas where a "lovely" couple leaned over our table adjoining an open walkway and said "Hey that looks good....can we try a piece?"......soooooo not real keen to repeat that sort of experience with someone possibly knocking on the window and playing charades with us to find out what we are eating. Find this set-up particularly odd. Almost like, "let's put the QG people on display so you lower classes can see how they dine in their natural habitat" which is either very Richard Attenborough or I have watched Titanic too many times!!! 🙂

All, I can say is that in reality, it is not remotely like you fear. However, if do end up by a window, I’m sure you will be overwhelmed by people in the deepest interior who wish to swap with you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

All, I can say is that in reality, it is not remotely like you fear. However, if do end up by a window, I’m sure you will be overwhelmed by people in the deepest interior who wish to swap with you.

Could work out perfectly then 🙂

Posted (edited)

@e&mcruise  Let me join in with some recent experience in both QG on QE and PG on QM2 (same layout as QG). 
Don’t worry about this issue on QM2. I thought the same thing and all for nothing. 

Remember that the Kings Court buffet has window tables and Prom Deck strollers can look in on those buffet diners too. Granted those tables don’t have an orchid…

Seriously, we had a nice table in PG on QM2 about five tables in from the front entrance and one table away from the window and it’s was very pleasant. The couple sitting by the window were on a 35 night cruise and I asked if they had problems with peekers and they had none. No one cared or noticed. We saw nice sunsets and the changing colors of the ocean during dinner. 

Edited by NE John
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, e&mcruise said:

..."let's put the QG people on display so you lower classes can see how they dine in their natural habitat"...

Trust me- those of us in the 'lower classes' could not give a fig how you dine. I mean, if I really had to guess I would assume it involved crockery, cutlery, linen and some food...somewhat like everywhere else onboard- yes, even in the buffet!

My life (with a multitude of Brittania, Club, Princess and Queen's Grill equivalent experiences) has shown me that people are often most interested in themselves and/or the person/people they are dining with.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, WantedOnVoyage said:

I cannot imagine you will experience that kind of behaviour on/or by) a Cunarder.

We agree with our fellow Cruise Critic.

My DW and I during our sailing on a 14 day Canada/New England in September 2022 on the QM2 occupied a Table for 2 by a window in the Princess Grill and loved it! The same exposure as you would experience in the Queens Grill.

We did experience the enclosed walkway that is in front of and ran the length of the Princess Grill restaurant and found no negative effects during any of our meals. And we did attend most of our meals in the restaurant except a few.

It was a requested location on booking and was extremely happy to be assigned it. We knew where we were asking to be located.

We did not experience any interference from those passing the window and there were few to many. But we concentrated on our meals being served to us. Passengers that were strolling were all heading to the rear of the ship, so they were never attempting to look in.

We never had a thought to ask for the table to be changed. 

Edited by BklynBoy8
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Cruisin'allovertheworld said:

Trust me- those of us in the 'lower classes' could not give a fig how you dine.

Not suggesting for a second anyone is interested in us, more the QG food, and as mentioned this is only coming from a previous bad experience so please as a fellow Aussie recognise an attempt at light hearted humour. 🙂

As a Britannia restaurant guest and regular deck walker I have no interest whatsoever in looking in either of the grills restaurants at either the guests or their food or the general set up. I am perfectly happy with what I am served and have no desire to see if the grass is greener. I would never be so rude as to stare in to see what others are doing in either the grills or the buffet. 

I book in all grades, and I've got past and future bookings in grades from Oceanview through Club, through PG and on to QG. I certainly wouldn't stare in, but unlike Winifred I do discreetly check what the Grills are getting. One aspect of army life is honing one's powers of peripheral vision! So I know that when it comes to lunch, those in Grills invariably order whatever is on offer in Britannia, and the menus are fairly closely aligned, nearly identical, for that meal. At breakfast the Grills tend to have lighter options (though the menus are fairly similar). There are some differences at dinner, but often the most popular beef then chicken dish tends to be selected in both Britannia and Grills. So some interesting Venn diagrams here.

But that's by the bye, even though I know what I do, I would still be happy to have a window seat in QM2 Grills, PG or QG. However I have also learned over the years that particularly when near land it's sometimes a little better to be a table or two aside from the window, such that you can see out of 2 windows easily. It's a wider perspective there. But nothing to do with people on the promenade. However also note that the super-structure of the vessel means that some windows have a lot of metal just outside, which is another reason to sit a short distance away from the glass.

We're happy with a window seat on QM2 - other than feeling a little guilty when we see runners speed past the window while we are indulging! Agree with Techteach above about the window providing a useful spot for a handbag! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DaisyUK said:

We're happy with a window seat on QM2 - other than feeling a little guilty when we see runners speed past the window while we are indulging! Agree with Techteach above about the window providing a useful spot for a handbag! 

I always feel the opposite: how lucky I am to be sitting enjoying a delicious, nutritious meal, while those poor people feel compelled to do sweaty and unpleasant exercise, wearing out their joints.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

As a Britannia restaurant guest and regular deck walker I have no interest whatsoever in looking in either of the grills restaurants at either the guests or their food or the general set up. I am perfectly happy with what I am served and have no desire to see if the grass is greener. I would never be so rude as to stare in to see what others are doing in either the grills or the buffet. 

I agree! I’m currently onboard QM2 and can see that the window area of the grills restaurant is only a small part of the promenade deck. Also it appears that the windows are not fully clear, perhaps mirrored in some way like the Kings Court windows are, so if I were in the grills I would not be worried about appearing in a goldfish bowl. 

• Like 2

Actually, they are not mirrored.... I do my boat deck laps, too, (nothing like the smell of real teak wood first thing in the morning... none of that horrible plastic of the VISTAs and QA!) and sure, I "peer" in and could see our lovely table all laid and ready. And feeling like kippers when I've reeled off enough laps.  Although I think I manage more mileage just getting to and from anything on QM2 as it is..

On 7/17/2024 at 1:06 PM, WantedOnVoyage said:

Actually, they are not mirrored.... I do my boat deck laps, too, (nothing like the smell of real teak wood first thing in the morning... none of that horrible plastic of the VISTAs and QA!) and sure, I "peer" in and could see our lovely table all laid and ready. And feeling like kippers when I've reeled off enough laps.  Although I think I manage more mileage just getting to and from anything on QM2 as it is..

Apologies, I stand corrected. I’d now say that the windows are “smoked” glass.