Disembark time from cruise ship

Lenbro1944

We oared scheduled on a Viking cruise to Iceland next summer that lists a disembark time in Reykjavik as 5 AM. How early and how quickly can you get off ship with your luggage in order to make a morning airline flight?

Viking will give you a form a few days prior to disembarkation. You will provide your flight time, and you can request Viking transportation to the airport. (If you used Viking Air, they already have that information.) The day prior to the cruise ending, all cabins will receive a list of disembarkation times, along with color coded luggage tags and details about leaving the ship.  Bags are usually collected the night before, by 10pm. Folks gather in the Atrium area and await their tag color and number to be called, then it is easy to leave through security. Viking seems to get you off the ship 3-4 hours prior to your flight. Your bags will be in the terminal area unless you elected to carry them yourself.  If you are not using Viking scheduled transportation, you can leave anytime. 

7 minutes ago, CDR2001 said:

If you are not using Viking scheduled transportation, you can leave anytime

I have an "on our own" extension at the end of our trip.  Check-in at our hotel is 2pm.  Can I stay on the ship until 1pm and have lunch aboard the ship?

11 minutes ago, RexMesiter said:

I have an "on our own" extension at the end of our trip.  Check-in at our hotel is 2pm.  Can I stay on the ship until 1pm and have lunch aboard the ship?

If you are disembarking on your own with your own transportation, then you MUST vacate your cabin by 8:00am.  The problem is that since you are disembarking on your own, you may or may not be able to have your luggage removed or held by Viking Crew.

You can generally stay until 11am, I believe but should be off the ship by then.  You may have to pull all your luggage around with you which will be inconvenient.

(For all those going on Viking extensions or to the airport, their luggage will be transferred to the cruise port central hall for collection.  If you are not going at a specific time, then your luggage is there unattended.)

If I were you, I would email tellus@vikingcruises.com and ask very specific questions about this situation.

1) Disembarking on own

2) What time to leave cabin?

3) To what time can I stay on the ship?

4) Can my luggage be stored until I want to leave?

We have done several independent hotel extensions. We have always been able to store luggage at the hotel prior to check in so we could start exploring. Ask your hotel about that. 

• Like 2

You must vacate your cabin by 8 am but you can have breakfast and head off the ship by 9 or 9:30. No staying until lunch time. Bags not a problem if embarking separately—you can either put them out the night before (and indicate on the sheet they give you a couple of days before that you are doing private transfer) or haul luggage off yourself in the morning.

3 hours ago, Lenbro1944 said:

We oared scheduled on a Viking cruise to Iceland next summer that lists a disembark time in Reykjavik as 5 AM. How early and how quickly can you get off ship with your luggage in order to make a morning airline flight?

I believe you will have to ask Viking if you are doing a very early flight. They usually inform you in documents not to schedule flights before a certain time—but if you’re booking flights far in advance, I’d check with them to confirm a safe time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lenbro1944 said:

Unless the processes at the airport have changed since 2021, leave yourself plenty of time to checkin and get through security.  We had Delta’s first flight back to JFK (11ish?) and spent three-four hours getting from the ship (prearranged taxi) to the gate and only had a few minutes to catch our breath before boarding. Not sure why but can’t seem to find the photo looking the other way, but this was the head of the line at the ticket counter and it extended at leave 150 people the other way.  Luckily we were able to use the Priority line so only took us about 30 minutes.  I suspect if we had been in the regular line it would have been at least twice as long. 

Hopefully, they have improved things since then-this was just after the world started to open up after the pandemic and I know everyone was short staffed. 
image.thumb.jpeg.86263495ce1e817866ff279f4dd0610a.jpeg

Posted (edited)

The time given on the itinerary for any port is the time the ship is scheduled to dock, not the time guests may begin to disembark for the day.  (And, the time shown for departure from port is the time scheduled for the ship to start pulling away from the dock not the time guests must be back on board).

If you are booking your own flights, it should tell you on your Viking Guest Statement the earliest time to book your return flight. As Clay said, allow 3 hours at the airport plus an hour travel, after you have disembarked. The ship must be cleared by local authorities and gangway must be secured before disembarkation may begin. Usually takes an hour but there is never a guarantee on how long it will actually take.

If you book earlier than the time on the invoice, Viking cannot guarantee that you will be able to disembark in time to get to the airport, check-in, go through security and get to your gate.

In response to Clay, hopefully things have improved now that all Covid restrictions that we were dealing with in 2021 have been lifted and there is less paperwork that needs to be confirmed for each passenger (plus the arguments when there were issues).

Edited by Peregrina651

3 hours ago, CDNPolar said:

You can generally stay until 11am, I believe but should be off the ship by then.  You may have to pull all your luggage around with you which will be inconvenient.

That depends on the port regulations. Some ports require that a ship be completely cleared of all guests before they may begin boarding arriving guests.

If you’re not staying at a hotel, you might check the “Bounce” luggage storage app. We used this app to store our luggage for few hours after disembarking in Barcelona. Bounce contracts with local shops for short-term storage. We were able to view the locked room and received a photo of our stored luggage.

11 hours ago, RexMesiter said:

No.  They will have you out of your cabin at 8 AM.  They will tell you off the ship at 9 AM (they need to get it ready), but you could likely stretch it to 9:30 to 10:00.   I know because we just did this and we also had check in at 2 PM in Reykjavik.  We took a taxi service to the hotel at 10:00 and just checked in our bags at the hotel.

They will likely start going through and kicking you off at 10 AM.  Definitely NO LUNCH.

New people start boarding between 10 and 11 so there is definitely motivation for Viking to get you out of there.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

No.  They will have you out of your cabin at 8 AM.  They will tell you off the ship at 9 AM (they need to get it ready), but you could likely stretch it to 9:30 to 10:00.   I know because we just did this and we also had check in at 2 PM in Reykjavik.  We took a taxi service to the hotel at 10:00 and just checked in our bags at the hotel.

They will likely start going through and kicking you off at 10 AM.  Definitely NO LUNCH.

New people start boarding between 10 and 11 so there is definitely motivation for Viking to get you out of there.

On our February '24 Jupiter South America cruise, we were kicked off ship at 9:30 AM. We asked if we could extend to 10 (had a private tour scheduled to start at 10:30) and were very politely told no. 

2 hours ago, Moonlion said:

On our February '24 Jupiter South America cruise, we were kicked off ship at 9:30 AM. We asked if we could extend to 10 (had a private tour scheduled to start at 10:30) and were very politely told no. 

Yes, each ship/port/itinerary can be slightly different depending on circumstances.  We have also been told to leave at 9 AM sometimes, and other times managed to leave at 9:30-10:00 without hassle.  One can never know.  In Reykjavik last month we left at 10:00 AM with about 20 others as the last ones off the ship.   It all depends.

For the OP, absolutely allow 3 hours at the airport.  It's not very large, but not very efficient.  Add 45 minutes to get there from Reykjavik, and time to actually get off the ship, and you will not be able to catch an early morning flight.

2 hours ago, ljandgb said:

For the OP, absolutely allow 3 hours at the airport.  It's not very large, but not very efficient.  Add 45 minutes to get there from Reykjavik, and time to actually get off the ship, and you will not be able to catch an early morning flight.

Also for the OP, who wishes to go direct to KEF Airport, bypassing Reykjavik and its hotels . . .

On our departure from Reykjavik last month (from Hilton Nordica, which is not far from ship dock)...  

We had a 10:30 AM Departure on Iceland Air.

The front desk highly recommended we leave at 6:00 AM !!  They were right.  It was an hour and a half to the airport, and then lines were beyond belief to check in (see Clay's picture - no things have gotten worse since he took those).   Then the security lines, although more efficient than our trip in 2023, still long - another 30 to 45 minutes.  We did not have much time to spare.

If you truly can get off the ship at 5:30 AM and you are on your own, I wouldn't book a departure earlier than 10:00 AM then.