Non-refundable OBC - what can we spend it on?

It’s a nice problem to have I guess…

After payment our cruise price dropped $1,200 AUD. I asked for a price adjustment, which unsurprisingly they won’t do so we have OBC instead. It’s Autumnal Allure on Insignia in October out of Canada. We already upgraded the beverage package and paid for it in our final payment dammit. Apart from excursions, which we weren’t going to do a lot of, is there anything we can spend it on? I hate spending money for the sake of it but I’d rather not leave it on the table. 

The documentation shows it as $408 USD pp “gift order” with an asterisk, which says “… not refundable…”

Thanks!

I believe that Australians, like Europeans, have gratuities already included in the headline cruise price. If that's not accurate, then paying the gratuities would be the way to go.

You could think about a "splurge" on an expensive excursion as a particular treat.

I asked a similar question some while back, before Simply More came in and taking a credit was one of the possible "perks". My understanding from the responses then was that you could go shopping in the boutiques. Buy a nice watch, or something, as a souvenir of the cruise?

Yes gratuities are paid, sorry I should have said!

My husband is a lover of watches so he probably wouldn’t be sorry to do that! And we’ll have another look at the excursions. We aren’t keen on the ones where you sit on a bus and look out the window all day. 

Thanks

Mardi 

You can use the non-refundable SBC for the drink package even though you paid in advance. The advance payment will show up as a refundable credit on your shipboard account. When the account is settled at the end of the cruise, non-refundable SBC is used first, then refundable SBC (which includes your prepayment for the drink package) is used, then a credit card is charged. If there is leftover refundable SBC, you get a refund.

Hello @PoppyVelvet,

We once had this dilemma too.

We blew the credit easily on spa treatments, a wine tasting, a whisky tasting, and an Oceania teddy bear.

You could consider upgrading one of your Oceania excursions to the more expensive version with fewer people, if there is one.  Or take a cooking class or culinary tour.

When our Oceania rep was not able to refund the money to us, we kidded with him that we would buy a hundred Oceania caps.  We didn't.

I like @AMHuntFerry's logic.  

When we tried to sell some antique jewellery on consignment, I lamented that Oceania did not have a way I could do this (I did enquire one time), as the target audience would be on the ship.  The jeweller who arranged the consignment said that cruise line jewellery has a special designation in the trade, as being not considered to be anywhere close to as valuable as what people pay.  It rarely is taken on consignment or does well in auctions...or so she said.  This was not directed at Oceania, but it made me wary.  Just sayin'.

Cheers,

Greg from the WildWanderers

• Like 1

15 hours ago, PoppyVelvet said:

After payment our cruise price dropped $1,200 AUD. I asked for a price adjustment, which unsurprisingly they won’t do so we have OBC instead. It’s Autumnal Allure on Insignia in October out of Canada. We already upgraded the beverage package and paid for it in our final payment dammit. Apart from excursions, which we weren’t going to do a lot of, is there anything we can spend it on? I hate spending money for the sake of it but I’d rather not leave it on the table. 

The documentation shows it as $408 USD pp “gift order” with an asterisk, which says “… not refundable…”

Thanks!

You may be in luck!

Everything you’ve done with purchases, $ adjustments pre-cruise will transfer to your onboard account. So, all payments by credit card are then considered credit to your onboard account regardless of what they were originally used for. (You’ll see them as credits on your account and they are “refundable” dollars).

All charges like gratuities, booze purchases, spa stuff, will be seen as debits to your onboard account. So will non-refundable SBC like the non-refundable SBC you were given as a price adjustment.
The onboard accounting system recalculates the credits/debits not prioritized on the type of purchase. Rather it calculates it with prioritization based on the type of $$$ in the mix! At least, that’s the way it has worked for as long as I can remember (and we’ve done a ton of O cruises).

So, what should happen is the following: All your charges for extras (even pre-cruise) will first tap your non-refundable SBC balance (note that SM shore excursion credit will be first to be used for tours). Once that’s exhausted, your balance due will tap your refundable SBC (e.g., gifts from TAs). If you still “owe” $$$, the last money to be tapped will be any cash you had put into the deal (even if before the cruise and no matter what you originally used it for).

But, just to be sure: once you’re onboard, doublecheck with Guest Relations that this priority is still in effect. You can even call O before hand (or have your TA do it) and see if the adjustment can be done now).

This has happened to us before with a big refund provided as non-refundable SBC. And our onboard account adjusted just as I have described it. So, we went home with a nice “chunk of change.”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Is refundable SBC given as cash onboard or refunded electronically ?

The refundable credit on your onboard account will be returned to your credit card on file by default. But it also was possible to request a cash refund at the reception desk on the last day of the cruise.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Tranquility Base said:

Is refundable SBC given as cash onboard or refunded electronically ?

I got cash back this past Tuesday. If you don't ask for it while on board, they will send you a check (rather quickly).

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Queen of DaNile said:

If you don't ask for it while on board, they will send you a check (rather quickly).

Thanks.

A growing number of countries no longer use cheques.

As long as cash or refund to card are options then that's fine.

Edited by Tranquility Base

4 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

A growing number of countries no longer use cheques.

As long as cash or refund to card are options then that's fine.

Our last cruise had a refund due. The letter we received 2 days before debarkation gave three versions of non-cash refund...credit card, check, or via TA (we were sent a check); the form of the refund depended on whether it was a US-booking or non-US-booking. There was also the option to get a cash refund by going to the Reception desk before early-morning on debarkation day.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

Our last cruise had a refund due. The letter we received 2 days before debarkation gave three versions of non-cash refund...credit card, check, or via TA (we were sent a check); the form of the refund depended on whether it was a US-booking or non-US-booking. There was also the option to get a cash refund by going to the Reception desk before early-morning on debarkation day.

They’ve always let us get it the day before. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

They’ve always let us get it the day before. 

Yes, sorry if my wording was unclear...I meant to indicate there was a deadline after which the cash option disappeared.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, a long time ago with an OBC (non-refundable), we purchased a world globe that turns with light.  Something we would have never in a life time purchase--today many, many yers later it's still turn in the family room.  Every time I see it I think about that cruise.  Oh and the "O" teddy bear in the bedroom, it's a back up, we purchased two for our dog-it's her favorite toy.😂Really!

• Like 4

On 7/18/2024 at 5:35 PM, PoppyVelvet said:

Thanks!

G’Day Poppy Velvet

I agree with the other posters that the extra funds that you paid for the upgraded beverage package from your credit card will be applied last on your onboard account.  If you check your account after boarding that amount should show as refundable OBC.   As an Aussie, I was always happy to collect the USD on the last day of the cruise.  In fact I booked extra tours and paid with my cc pre cruise and cancelled those extra tours after we were on board just to collect the USD for future use.   USD can be used in most countries.  The greedy banks charge too much for foreign currency.  

I feel I have a lot in common with you.   My gkids call me Mardi and I come from Canberra.   We both took a package at age 57 and have enjoyed our many cruises with Oceania.   Cheers Ros🙂

• Like 2

6 hours ago, aussietwo said:

G’Day Poppy Velvet

I agree with the other posters that the extra funds that you paid for the upgraded beverage package from your credit card will be applied last on your onboard account.  If you check your account after boarding that amount should show as refundable OBC.   As an Aussie, I was always happy to collect the USD on the last day of the cruise.  In fact I booked extra tours and paid with my cc pre cruise and cancelled those extra tours after we were on board just to collect the USD for future use.   USD can be used in most countries.  The greedy banks charge too much for foreign currency.  

I feel I have a lot in common with you.   My gkids call me Mardi and I come from Canberra.   We both took a package at age 57 and have enjoyed our many cruises with Oceania.   Cheers Ros🙂

G’day Ros! Nice to meet you! Thanks for your advice, that sounds like a plan since we are finishing up in New York and spending two weeks there post cruise 🙂

Are you still in canberra? I hear there is a monthly Canberra cruisers meet up but we haven’t made it to one yet, we’ve been on holiday every time! It’s a hard life lol

This is our first Oceania cruise and hopefully there’ll be many more. I’m 56 and was made redundant from my job on Friday last week so I’m now trying to work out if I can retire or I have to find another job for the next couple of years ugh. 

55 minutes ago, PoppyVelvet said:

I’m now trying to work out if I can retire

Work hard to make it happen. It'll be the best decision you make. I had the opportunity to apply for early retirement at 53  - no package and with just the pension entitlement I'd earned till then. Approval given and I was off within a few weeks - my new boss and I had a mutual disrespect for each other, so it was never going to be a problem . Never looked back - it comes up to 21 years in September.  

• Like 3

17 hours ago, PoppyVelvet said:

G’day Ros! Nice to meet you! Thanks for your advice, that sounds like a plan since we are finishing up in New York and spending two weeks there post cruise 🙂

Are you still in canberra? I hear there is a monthly Canberra cruisers meet up but we haven’t made it to one yet, we’ve been on holiday every time! It’s a hard life lol

This is our first Oceania cruise and hopefully there’ll be many more. I’m 56 and was made redundant from my job on Friday last week so I’m now trying to work out if I can retire or I have to find another job for the next couple of years ugh. 

Hi Mardi

Yes we are still in Canberra.  Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming Oceania event.  Strange but I don’t get notified of those events.  Oceania have invited me to a couple in Sydney.  We are platinum and have spent more than 400 days on board the seven different Oceania ships.  Happy for you to contact me if you wish.  
Cheers Ros🙂. rosmerleg at hotmail dot com - subject Oceania cruises 

Hi Ros, it isn’t an Oceania event, it’s a Canberra cruising group that meets monthly. There’s a Facebook group but I don’t spend much time on Facebook so I got my husband to join the group. We should be going to the August one but I’m not sure if it’s been scheduled yet. I think they’re usually at the yacht club. I’ll make a note to let you know when it is when I find out. 

Side note: when he was looking for the group he joined one with a similar type of name but it turned out to be a different type of cruising so he got out of it pretty quickly!

4 hours ago, aussietwo said:

Hi Mardi

Yes we are still in Canberra.  Thanks for the heads up on the upcoming Oceania event.  Strange but I don’t get notified of those events.  Oceania have invited me to a couple in Sydney.  We are platinum and have spent more than 400 days on board the seven different Oceania ships.  Happy for you to contact me if you wish.  
Cheers Ros🙂. rosmerleg at hotmail dot com - subject Oceania cruises 

Thanks for the encouragement! I am giving myself until January to get things sorted before I’ll look for a new job if I have to. Luckily in Australia we have mandated redundancy payments so I’ll be receiving a few weeks pay to keep me going. Now to work on a budget and talk to a financial planner…

21 hours ago, Harters said:

Work hard to make it happen. It'll be the best decision you make. I had the opportunity to apply for early retirement at 53  - no package and with just the pension entitlement I'd earned till then. Approval given and I was off within a few weeks - my new boss and I had a mutual disrespect for each other, so it was never going to be a problem . Never looked back - it comes up to 21 years in September.  

16 minutes ago, PoppyVelvet said:

Now to work on a budget and talk to a financial planner…

Perhaps oddly, it wasnt the money that concerned me most. It was actually what I would do with my new life. Once I had my head reasonably straight about that, making the application was plain sailing. My employer (a government agency) ran pre-retirement courses, with a financial planner, and I was able to get on one of those. Very useful two day course

I finished at the end of September and it felt weird until January or thereabouts. It felt sort of being on holiday and then realising that there wasnt a "back to work" date. I was a bit in limbo. Once Christmas was out of the way, I realised that I now felt "retired". Good luck with your plans.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2024 at 8:19 AM, Queen of DaNile said:

One or two Spa treatments would eat up that credit in a heartbeat! Enjoy.

Unfortunately, you are correct! The so prices are outrageous.

If you think you will have non-refundable OBC do not wait until the last few days to try to use it in the shop. I made that mistake once and it was like a swarm of locusts had already beat me to everything.