Manhattan Cruise terminal: Newbie questions

Just booked a cruise on The CCL Venezia in November.  Flying into either JFK or Newark Liberty.  We want to come in a day or so early for a bit of sightseeing.  Is one airport better for easy access into New York for sightseeing?  Is it better to just grab a hotel by the cruise terminal and travel from there?  Never been to New York City; so I have no idea how easy it is to get around.... Any help appreciated including transportation to the cruise terminal from wherever you recommend......

Looking for easy peasy without breaking the bank.....

Cheers...

37 minutes ago, IGGY63 said:

Just booked a cruise on The CCL Venezia in November.  Flying into either JFK or Newark Liberty.  We want to come in a day or so early for a bit of sightseeing.  Is one airport better for easy access into New York for sightseeing?  Is it better to just grab a hotel by the cruise terminal and travel from there?  Never been to New York City; so I have no idea how easy it is to get around.... Any help appreciated including transportation to the cruise terminal from wherever you recommend......

Looking for easy peasy without breaking the bank.....

Cheers...

Choose the flight based on cost and convenience of schedule. If they're about equal it hardly matters which airport you choose as multiple transportation options to Manhattan are available from either.

Since you're coming in early to sightsee then by all means stay in Manhattan. First decide your priorities for sightseeing because if you're only staying for a night or two you may want to consider staying at a hotel not far from some of the attractions you want to visit. That having been said, it's very easy to get around in Manhattan via the subway system or by taxi or Uber. Don't be too concerned about travel to the cruise terminal on embarkation day either as it generally won't be all that expensive to get from your hotel to the cruise terminal by taxi or Uber.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

JFK. Newark is in New Jersey, across the river.

EWR is much closer to Manhattan than JFK. Depending on mode of transportation It can be quicker, faster and cheaper to get from EWR to Manhattan than from JFK to Manhattan, so the fact that EWR is in NJ and JFK is in New York isn't particularly meaningful.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

EWR is much closer to Manhattan than JFK. Depending on mode of transportation It can be quicker, faster and cheaper to get from EWR to Manhattan than from JFK to Manhattan, so the fact that EWR is in NJ and JFK is in New York isn't particularly meaningful.

I think jfk is a little longer, traffic on the day is hard to predict. It will probably be more expensive to Uber from Newark, JFK has a flat fee ($70) to manhattan, which is nice (looks like the trip now from jfk to manhattan is about 1 1/2 hours).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I think jfk is a little longer, traffic on the day is hard to predict. It will probably be more expensive to Uber from Newark, JFK has a flat fee ($70) to manhattan, which is nice (looks like the trip now from jfk to manhattan is about 1 1/2 hours).

I've checked Uber prices a couple of times this afternoon and fare from JFK to Manhattan was running about $20 more than fare from EWR to Manhattan. I can't say how much was due to current traffic conditions as opposed to normal pricing, but I checked Carmel Limo for a date a couple of weeks in the future and their fare from JFK was $5 or $6 higher than their fare from EWR so I think the greater distance from JFK is definitely in play.

The $70 taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan is just the base fare. There are a number of mandatory state and city surcharges that are tacked on, and when you add in a tip and possibly tolls a more realistic all in price is $90 or more.

1 hour ago, njhorseman said:

I've checked Uber prices a couple of times this afternoon and fare from JFK to Manhattan was running about $20 more than fare from EWR to Manhattan. I can't say how much was due to current traffic conditions as opposed to normal pricing, but I checked Carmel Limo for a date a couple of weeks in the future and their fare from JFK was $5 or $6 higher than their fare from EWR so I think the greater distance from JFK is definitely in play.

The $70 taxi fare from JFK to Manhattan is just the base fare. There are a number of mandatory state and city surcharges that are tacked on, and when you add in a tip and possibly tolls a more realistic all in price is $90 or more.

Appreciate the information! 

12 hours ago, njhorseman said:

My family members Uber between NJ and NYC sometimes instead of bus or train. We are 14 miles from the MCT, EWR is 17 miles. On average, uber is $100, but of course it depends on timing.

18 hours ago, njhorseman said:

With taxes, fees, and tip, the fare comes to just about $100.  We do this regularly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nitemare said:

With taxes, fees, and tip, the fare comes to just about $100.  We do this regularly.

So JFK is a given price, Uber who knows, although it’s always been $100+ for my kids (I think it would be more just because it’s airport pickup).

NJHorseman -

Totally off topic but I have a question that I hope you can answer for me. I’ve asked questions previously and your answers do not steer me in the wrong direction! I am sailing out of Cape Liberty 9/15/24 but staying in Manhattan to see a couple plays pre-cruise. What do you think is the best way for a solo female to travel from a Manhattan hotel to Cape Liberty? Uber? Taxi? Private service? If a private service, which do you recommend? 

31 minutes ago, NayRN said:

NJHorseman -

Totally off topic but I have a question that I hope you can answer for me. I’ve asked questions previously and your answers do not steer me in the wrong direction! I am sailing out of Cape Liberty 9/15/24 but staying in Manhattan to see a couple plays pre-cruise. What do you think is the best way for a solo female to travel from a Manhattan hotel to Cape Liberty? Uber? Taxi? Private service? If a private service, which do you recommend? 

Taxi’s won’t take you, I’d suggest Uber or train/uber.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Taxi’s won’t take you, I’d suggest Uber or train/uber.

When you say train/uber - is that the subway? I’m from a state with very little mass-transit so I’m easily confused!🤪 Currently, I’m booked at the Westin near the Port Authority as well as at the Renaissance as it’s close to the theaters. Both hotels are similar in price - so I’m not attached to either one. So with that in mind, which would give me the best access to NJ if I were to choose train/uber?

OR would I be better off just taking an Uber to the theater and staying in another area that’s super walkable but easier to get to NJ?

I’m sorry I have so many questions - not new at all the NYC but I am new to sailing out of Cape Liberty…

Edited by NayRN
Typo

8 minutes ago, NayRN said:

When you say train/uber - is that the subway? I’m from a state with very little mass-transit so I’m easily confused!🤪 Currently, I’m booked at the Westin near the Port Authority as well as at the Renaissance as it’s close to the theaters. Both hotels are similar in price - so I’m not attached to either one. So with that in mind, which would give me the best access to NJ if I were to choose train/uber?

OR would I be better off just taking an Uber to the theater and staying in another area that’s super walkable but easier to get to NJ?

I’m sorry I have so many questions - not new at all the NYC but I am new to sailing out of Cape Liberty…

Uber is the same from both, I’d spend the extra $ and forget train (not subway) or bus from port authority, since an Uber will eventually be needed. Probably around $100. Check Lyft prices too, sometimes on is cheaper than the other. NY cabs can’t pick up passengers in NJ. NJ cabs can’t pick up passengers in NY, so even if they agreed to take you, the fare would be doubled.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mjkacmom said:

Uber is the same from both, I’d spend the extra $ and forget train (not subway) or bus from port authority, since an Uber will eventually be needed. Probably around $100. Check Lyft prices too, sometimes on is cheaper than the other. NY cabs can’t pick up passengers in NJ. NJ cabs can’t pick up passengers in NY, so even if they agreed to take you, the fare would be doubled.

YOU are the BEST!! Thank you!!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

On 7/20/2024 at 9:59 AM, NayRN said:

NJHorseman -

l’ve lived in Manhattan many years and when I travel to the airport I have always used Carmel Limo car service. Reliably on time and comfortable cars. I’d suggest you look into them. As a solo female I personally would not use Uber/Lyft, and I think you’ll find the rates comparable.

Edited by carol louise
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, carol louise said:

l’ve lived in Manhattan many years and when I travel to the airport I have always used Carmel Limo car service. Reliably on time and comfortable cars. I’d suggest you look into them. As a solo female I personally would not use Uber/Lyft, and I think you’ll find the rates comparable.

It might be an age thing, my 21, 23, and 27 year old daughters take Ubers alone a lot (especially the 23 year old who lives in Boston with no car). Coming back from the airport or train station it’s a treat.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

It might be an age thing, my 21, 23, and 27 year old daughters take Ubers alone a lot (especially the 23 year old who lives in Boston with no car). Coming back from the airport or train station it’s a treat.

Probably is — my stepdaughter (30) is a fan. Younger people are more adventurous! I just feel better dealing with a long established company rather than a random individual. Plus for years, until Lincoln stopped making them, Carmel always picked me up in a Towne Car. Nowadays other makes, but always nice. I would wonder how well an Uber driver is maintaining his car, too.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, carol louise said:

Probably is — my stepdaughter (30) is a fan. Younger people are more adventurous! I just feel better dealing with a long established company rather than a random individual. Plus for years, until Lincoln stopped making them, Carmel always picked me up in a Towne Car. Nowadays other makes, but always nice. I would wonder how well an Uber driver is maintaining his car, too.

It's not that unlikely that your Carmel driver will be someone else's Uber driver on their next trip. Both companies rely on independent contractors who may driver for several services...Carmel...Uber...Lyft...

If you dig down into the Carmel website looking for a description of the cars in their fleet they're called "our affiliated fleet".

• Like 1

14 hours ago, njhorseman said:

It's not that unlikely that your Carmel driver will be someone else's Uber driver on their next trip. Both companies rely on independent contractors who may driver for several services...Carmel...Uber...Lyft...

If you dig down into the Carmel website looking for a description of the cars in their fleet they're called "our affiliated fleet".

Maybe so. From my thirty years’ experience with them, however Carmel is run, I recommend them to NayRN as a reliable, comfortable transportation to the Bayonne cruise port from Manhattan.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Yes, same drivers for Uber, Lyft, and car services these days.