Jade engine issues delayed until Sunday

On Jade at the moment, announced this morning one azipod is out so delayed until 7.00am Sunday and berthing at different terminal as we left so chaos incoming. Communication on ship is woeful, we are getting a 10% FCC but feel bad for folks having to move flights after todays issues

• Like 1

Someone posted this earlier from my 8/10 sailing group. I was waiting for confirmation but was hoping it was fake news lol.

Sorry for all the people that are having their vacation disrupted.

Will be waiting to see what will be happening going forward. We have already had itinerary changes so not looking forward to any more or even worse cancellations☹️

For those curious of the itinerary change, details below.

- Notification Time:Less than 24 hours before check-in. Talk about a last-minute surprise!
- Shortened Cruise:By one whole day. (Because who needs that extra day of relaxation, right?)
- Port of Call Casualties:Goodbye Tortola and San Juan. We were especially looking forward to Tortola. 🏝️

NCL’s compensation

- 20% Future Cruise Credit: Like a rain check on a future party – nice to have, but doesn’t quite make up for the missed celebration.

- Pro-rated Refund for One Day Lost: A decent gesture, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

- $100 credit to stateroom

Thoughts on from those impacted on the compensation? And those not impacted - what would you have considered fair given the details above?

2 minutes ago, Cruiser8087 said:

- Notification Time:Less than 24 hours before check-in. Talk about a last-minute surprise!
- Shortened Cruise:By one whole day. (Because who needs that extra day of relaxation, right?)
- Port of Call Casualties:Goodbye Tortola and San Juan. We were especially looking forward to Tortola. 🏝️

NCL’s compensation

- 20% Future Cruise Credit: Like a rain check on a future party – nice to have, but doesn’t quite make up for the missed celebration.

- Pro-rated Refund for One Day Lost: A decent gesture, but still leaves a lot to be desired.

Thoughts on from those impacted on the compensation? And those not impacted - what would you have considered fair given the details above?

Welcome to CC.  From past experience, any credit on fare will be the lowest number, one you will never be able to figure out.  Will not include port fees or taxes.

Posted (edited)

If I read the previous posts correctly, the cruise now departs tomorrow instead of today?

If so, that means people need to stay in a hotel an extra night. That blows...

Edited by schmoopie17

32 minutes ago, schmoopie17 said:

If I read the previous posts correctly, the cruise now departs tomorrow instead of today?

If so, that means people need to stay in a hotel an extra night. That blows...

Maybe this could be the schoompie cruise.

It does blow from having it happen.  We had it happen going out of SFO.  Luckily for many of us, despite a Sci fi convention, hotels had room.  Unfortunately, reimbursement for extra costs for many of us was 18 months.  No joke.

For anyone who is on the ship, what time/day will you be disembarking? I see the ship is close to Port Canaveral so unsure if they will debark when they pull in or wait until tomorrow, 7/21

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cruiser8087 said:

NCL’s compensation

Considering that the changes are due to an equipment failure, the compensation is more than fair. If the ship can’t make speed it can’t get south to PR and the BVI. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Considering that the changes are due to an equipment failure, the compensation is more than fair. If the ship can’t make speed it can’t get south to PR and the BVI. 

I feel like your logic is backwards. 

It would be generous if it was weather or something beyond their control.   Mechanical issues aew 100% their responsibility and they should reimburse all expenses incured by their delayed departure. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Cruiser8087 said:

Would you like for them to plan future mechanical failures better?

4 hours ago, Cruiser8087 said:

NCL’s compensation

So they're giving you 20% off the fare of a future cruise, around 20% back on your current cruise (maybe 15%?) and $100 to spend on board?  Seems generous.

32 minutes ago, Yesimapirate said:

It would be generous if it was weather or something beyond their control.   Mechanical issues aew 100% their responsibility and they should reimburse all expenses incured by their delayed departure.

When was the last time you accurately anticipated the breakdown of a 20 year-old vehicle that had otherwise been meticulously maintained?  These things are machines built and maintained by humans, they could do everything right and yet things can still fail.

I watched a CruiseTuber's video earlier - this actually couldn't have happened at a WORSE time.  With the Crowdsrike failure Friday that cause all those cancelled flights, some of the people on board apparently may not get flights home until Wed because of all the re-booked airline passengers cascading.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, hallux said:

So they're giving you 20% off the fare of a future cruise, around 20% back on your current cruise (maybe 15%?) and $100 to spend on board?  Seems generous.

When was the last time you accurately anticipated the breakdown of a 20 year-old vehicle that had otherwise been meticulously maintained?  These things are machines built and maintained by humans, they could do everything right and yet things can still fail.

I watched a CruiseTuber's video earlier - this actually couldn't have happened at a WORSE time.  With the Crowdsrike failure Friday that cause all those cancelled flights, some of the people on board apparently may not get flights home until Wed because of all the re-booked airline passengers cascading.

I hope they can get flights home by Wednesday. I have heard that Delta alone has 300,000 passengers who missed flights that they have to somehow accommodate, and they clearly don’t have that much extra capacity sitting around idle. 

1 hour ago, hallux said:

did I mention anywhere that they should plan for mechanical failures - it’s how they respond to a failure of an asset they are using to charge customers $$$ - thought that was obvious (apparently not.) And to your point on predicting failures - I run a business and when my asset fails to deliver its value to my customers I more than make up for it. I can’t predict when exactly my asset will fail, but I do know it will fail at some point so I build contingency in both my budget and pricing. Basic business sense to maintain a strong customer experience. 

In any business it’s the response to an issue or failure that drives customer experience. If you run a business on assets that can fail unexpectedly then most businesses make up for the failure if/when that failure occurs. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Cruiser8087 said:

NCL’s compensation

Can you post a screenshot of the letter with the original vs new itinerary? Thanks. 

So, if it’s Saturday at 7pm and the Jade is still not in Port Canaveral, how can they fix the ship’s mechanical issue and clean and prepare it to ship out tomorrow? When will they let us know that it might be Monday and change our itinerary again? I’m not sure we even want to take this cruise now. Kind of scary!

1 hour ago, CbowSFarm2024 said:

So, if it’s Saturday at 7pm and the Jade is still not in Port Canaveral, how can they fix the ship’s mechanical issue and clean and prepare it to ship out tomorrow? When will they let us know that it might be Monday and change our itinerary again? I’m not sure we even want to take this cruise now. Kind of scary!

I would also be concerned about the mechanical issue. They won't have any issues getting the ship cleared and cleaned in time. We had a significant mechanical issue when we were on the Jewel in October 2016. We ended up being stuck at the port of Puerto Vallarta overnight and for an extended time the following day which resulted in us missing the ports of Cabo San Lucas and Mazatlán. It was really frustrating as they updated us and thought we would not have to stay overnight but once the divers were involved, it took longer than was initially anticipated. We did get a refund and FCC for missing two of the three ports.

Hopefully it is a quick fix but I am sorry you will all miss Tortola and San Juan with the itinerary changes. I hope you get to the other ports.  I hope you can have a good time with the cruise even if it is an altered itinerary. 

2 hours ago, Cruiser8087 said:

did I mention anywhere that they should plan for mechanical failures

Your first sentence that I quoted made it seem like you were unhappy with the amount of notice given.

1 hour ago, Aussie Jeep said:

Im sure if they couldn’t fix the problem they would have advised us by now. 

Very doubtful. The ship can still sail, it just can’t make the speed needed for its original itineraries. 

• Like 1