Jade engine issues delayed until Sunday

1 hour ago, Turtles06 said:

No bridge viewing room on the deck plan

There is a video tour on youtube that seems to show a bridge viewing room.  Looks like the same layout as the Jewel (but I have never been on the Jade).

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, KDebreuil said:

There is a video tour on youtube that seems to show a bridge viewing room.  Looks like the same layout as the Jewel (but I have never been on the Jade).

1 minute ago, StuckOnABoat said:

On deck 11, go all the way forward in the port hallway, there is a viewing room. Readout just said we were making 17kn 

Thanks for the info.  I suppose it's not the first time a deck plan was incorrect!   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have a cruise booked on the Jade in September...sure hope everything is up and running by then.  I was on the VIVA at Christmas in a Haven Suite so I am kinda spoiled~~~~

Edited by queenhcc

11 hours ago, Crownme02 said:

Welp we now arrive in peurto plata at 2pm and will leave DR at 9pm. Not sure what this means for our excursion 😡😡😡 ugh 

Thanks for the small updates, I appreciate it. Hopefully you guys get to hit the updated ports as planned with no further delays.

@Turtles06   Judith ... I didn't realize that the Jade also has the Bridge Viewing Room too, thought it was exclusive to the GEM ... then, learned about the Epic's BVR too and checked it out ourselves.  Did a search on ShipMate app and found pictures (2017 - 2018) of the viewing room, further confirming.  

As for the top speed of the Jewel class ships, it seemed they are certified to go at 24 kts and no faster than 25 kts.  - the fastest that we've experienced while onboard was just over 24 kts with a strong, huge tailwind while we're blasting our way thru a NorEaster on the GEM.   We saw the Jewel going as fast as 23.5 kts too.  Doubtful that the bridge will order the engine room to push these ships to max redline speed as that'll surely burn a lot more fuel, unless it's for emergency reasons and/or if to get around - out of harm's way.  

Breakaway is leading the way toward PP whereas the Jade is behind her, both under 20 kts at the moment. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, queenhcc said:

I have a cruise booked on the Jade in September

If they don't have the issue fixed before then they have some BIG problems.  That the ship seems to be sailing at typical speed seems to indicate they have the issue resolved.

UPDATE from a cruiser on the 7 turned 6 day cruise with only 2 port locations (D.R. And Bahamas)

For our port stop in Puerto Plata we are now due to get to the port at 3pm. Several excursions have been straight up cancelled. Our is fully cancelled and it’s disappointing. The ship is saying that because of this we will stay there later 3:30 to 10pm but I don’t want to be out super late , how is that ok. And I know they will have shops and stuff that actually close at a decent time. This late time is now due to a strong current and unfavorable winds . In other news the food onboard is great , we ate at Le Bistro the french restaurant wish I could eat there every night !!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Kortehgehn said:

I certainly could be wrong, though, and I'd definitely be curious to learn more about the exact details of the technical malfunction with the azipod in question.

It's probably a continuation of the issues that were brought up in the ABB lawsuit concerning the VO2300 azipods. I don't know for sure and we'll probably never know.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

It's probably a continuation of the issues that were brought up in the ABB lawsuit concerning the VO2300 azipods. I don't know for sure and we'll probably never know.

Didn't NCL get 160 million from the suit?

What a disappointment this is becoming, just checked CruiseMapper and she's still about 25 to 30+ nm from AC, speeding up to 20 kts.  Possibly another 90+ minutes before engines stopping at the Pier, isn't that going to later than 3:00 PM (1:45 PM EDT where I am)

3 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

The lawsuit was for the "representation" of the reliability of the azipods (i.e."the pod should not require major overhaul until the 5 year dry dock interval").  Now, if NCL did not adjust their maintenance schedule based on their own experience, that is on NCL.  I know that RCI has adjusted the interval on their Oasis class ships (that was the cause of the dry dock collapse in Freeport) to be less than the normal dry dock interval, based on their own fleet experience.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

My limited understanding of the matter was that ABB developed an emergency refit kit for the azipods in case of a winding failure in the brushless exciter stator that could convert the excitation system to brushed operation without drydock.  However, I don't believe this is a trivial modification.  If the azipod issue on the Jade were indeed due to a failure of the exciter winding, then I would not think they would have had enough time to perform the refit before departing port on Sunday.  That said, since the ship was making 19-20 knots, it seems that at least both azipods are partially functional, which would not be the case with an exciter winding failure.

Edited by Kortehgehn

22 minutes ago, Kortehgehn said:

My limited understanding of the matter was that ABB developed an emergency refit kit for the azipods in case of a winding failure in the brushless exciter stator that could convert the excitation system to brushed operation without drydock.  However, I don't believe this is a trivial modification.

It also didn't work since the first time that they tried it, it failed in 2 months. I don't know what the current fix is but it doesn't seem to have solved everything. 

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

Now, if NCL did not adjust their maintenance schedule based on their own experience, that is on NCL.

Could ABB work off the money owed by providing parts and maintenance for the life of the ship(s)? 😁 

5 minutes ago, Sailor75 said:

So, it's a cruise to Amber Cove and Great Stirrup Cay? Oh, what fun. Doesn't sound like much compensation for something that's Norwegian's fault.

We actually went to Taino bay, which was better then amber cove but only had a few hours there. Agree, it’s not enough compensation at all 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, dannyv23 said:

Thanks for the small updates, I appreciate it. Hopefully you guys get to hit the updated ports as planned with no further delays.

Several excursions cancelled. We enjoyed the port though but only for a few hours . 😔

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Crownme02 said:

Several excursions cancelled. We enjoyed the port though but only for a few hours . 😔

Damn that sucks. Sorry to hear. No more reported problems with the engines though? Seems like the ship is moving at a decent pace.

10 hours ago, Sailor75 said:

for something that's Norwegian's fault.

If they've done all the required maintenance at the required times is it REALLY NCL's fault?  Machines break down, every single day.  Is it unfortunate that this one did at this particular time and disrupted some vacations?  Absolutely.  Such is life...

Think about that statement next time your engine spins a bearing or throws a rod even though you've kept up with maintenance on it.  Yes, spinning a bearing or throwing a rod is a VERY uncommon occurrence in a properly maintained engine, but consider the amount of time these machines (cruise ships and their propulsion) are operating (and expected to operate) often at nearly maximum power without failure.  The MTBF is really astronomical when you think about it...

6 hours ago, dannyv23 said:

Damn that sucks. Sorry to hear. No more reported problems with the engines though? Seems like the ship is moving at a decent pace.

Thanks. The ship is moving fine but getting to Nassau at a decent hour is like racing to a red light. No one wanted to go to Nassau, it wasn’t on the original itinerary and we would of rather gotten to DR on time and been late for Nassau 

I'm not sure that there is anything to win by arguing about blame.  Cruisers can't go after ABB directly for the disappointing experience, so they should voice their concerns and displeasure to NCL.  

I suspect that the repairs are not yet complete, and that there are changes to the schedule to allow the ship to visit ports where they can get some more work done (I suspect this at Nassau).  

• Haha 1