Princess/Carnival loyalty merger

mark316

52 minutes ago, Coral said:

I did not get that when I sailed on HAL. I know others haven't also. I think it is inconsistent.

I got that on HAL from sailing on Princess. I don’t recall a drink coupon but I got a ceramic tile and I believe lunch in a dining room on embarkation day. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Coral said:

Yes it definitely is getting shared between sister lines. I have received promos from Cunard with my Captain Circle number and referencing that I am a Princess cruiser and this promo is targeted towards me.

https://www.princess.com/en-us/legal/legal-privacy 

Your Princess and Cunard numbers are the same between the two cruiselines, so it is very likely. 

16 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I got that on HAL from sailing on Princess. I don’t recall a drink coupon but I got a ceramic tile and I believe lunch in a dining room on embarkation day. 

I didn't get anything. I was with friends who had sailed HAL previously and they all went to a repeater's lunch mid cruise. Not a big deal. I have friends who had similar experience as I did. I am guessing HAL is as consistent as Princess in how things work.

I used my agent who is a cruise only agent who has booked dozens of cruises for me so I am sure she coded everything correctly.

6 minutes ago, Coral said:

I didn't get anything. I was with friends who had sailed HAL previously and they all went to a repeater's lunch mid cruise. Not a big deal. I have friends who had similar experience as I did. I am guessing HAL is as consistent as Princess in how things work.

I used my agent who is a cruise only agent who has booked dozens of cruises for me so I am sure she coded everything correctly.

I have cruised on Princess, HAL, Carnival and Cunard.  Never really thought about their loyalty programs. They are not much. I will get free laundry on Princess after one more cruise. I never got the feeling that cruise passengers on those cruise lines were as obsessed with their points like passengers on Celebrity and RCI. I don’t think there will ever be a merged program Princess and Carnival like OP was asking about. The most that might happen would be a status match similar to Celebrity and RCI. It seems to work well for the Royal group and none of the lines would have to change how they award points. 

17 hours ago, mark316 said:

I’m sorry but I think I posted incorrectly. My intention was if you had 20 sailing days on carnival and 14 on princess, the next time you sailed on either line, they would acknowledge both. 34 days sailed no matter which line you sailed on.

Definitely never happen squared

3 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

I have cruised on Princess, HAL, Carnival and Cunard.  Never really thought about their loyalty programs. They are not much. I will get free laundry on Princess after one more cruise. I never got the feeling that cruise passengers on those cruise lines were as obsessed with their points like passengers on Celebrity and RCI. I don’t think there will ever be a merged program Princess and Carnival like OP was asking about. The most that might happen would be a status match similar to Celebrity and RCI. It seems to work well for the Royal group and none of the lines would have to change how they award points. 

I have cruised on multiple lines as well (though not Cunard). CCL (and lines) has resisted a match program for many years even though RCI has it. I just don't see them doing it.

I have been Elite with Princess since they started having the category "Elite". I really don't use any of the benefits. Maybe the mini bar setup but I exchange it all for water. So it costs Princess probably $2-3.

17 hours ago, SCX22 said:

I do see it being a problem for CCL because Princess also counts cruise segments.  Other brands under the CCL umbrella do not.  We all know some people plot ways to move up with Captain's Circle.  It was pretty evident in the thread about the loyalty acceleration thread.

The obvious answer here is to stop counting cruise segments. Carnival used to, but stopped.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

The obvious answer here is to stop counting cruise segments. Carnival used to, but stopped.

How many short cruises does CCL have? 

It will never happen under CCL umbrella. People have been wishing for years. All of a sudden, everyone will be a top tier and CCL doesn't have resources for that.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, 555 said:

Even if they did, most people that sail on Carnival probably think that Princess is much to tranquil for their taste. 😄 

Most, but not all.  Have 184 nights on Carnival and only 28 on Princess currently.  Have zero booked on Carnival and 77 booked on Princess.

As you mature so does your tastes and the Plus package is practically all inclusive and costs less than what Cheers costs on Carnival.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have cruised on multiple lines as well (though not Cunard). CCL (and lines) has resisted a match program for many years even though RCI has it. I just don't see them doing it.

I have been Elite with Princess since they started having the category "Elite". I really don't use any of the benefits. Maybe the mini bar setup but I exchange it all for water. So it costs Princess probably $2-3.

Priority boarding on tenders is a useful Elite perk and the Elite/Platinum daily lounge can be useful, depending on the ship.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Coral said:

How many short cruises does CCL have? 

It will never happen under CCL umbrella. People have been wishing for years. All of a sudden, everyone will be a top tier and CCL doesn't have resources for that.

That's how it used to be back in the day.  You originally needed 10 segments to achieve Platinum and now it's 70 nights.  There were many that were sitting on 8 segments that booked a 3/4 B2B that enabled them to make Platinum before the change from segments to nights took place.

14 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Priority boarding on tenders is a useful Elite perk and the Elite/Platinum daily lounge can be useful, depending on the ship.

Wouldn't the Elite/Platinum lounge hold less value since 75% on board would have purchased Plus or Premier?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeaFairy707 said:

If you've sailed on any of the other Carnival lines, Holland gives you one star when you book your first cruise in HAL rather than earning it after your first completed cruise on with them. That at least gets you a drink coupon, potential for extra OBC and the ceramic tile. 

And I now have a very nice set of HAL tile coasters! 🙂

• Like 1

Also remember that RCI and X are only 2 lines and their business are more a like than they are different.  The difference is really only the demographic.

CCL has many lines too many differing lines.  If P&O were, for example, to have reciprocal benefits with the other lines, it would be beneficial to the Brits who can book Princess.  It would not be beneficial to Americans because they really can't book P&O because there's only one agency has the rights to book Americans onto P&O.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Wouldn't the Elite/Platinum lounge hold less value since 75% on board would have purchased Plus or Premier?

Perhaps, does Plus or Premier get access to the E/P lounge?  I never buy the packages so honestly don't know.

21 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

It would not be beneficial to Americans because they really can't book P&O because there's only one agency has the rights to book Americans onto P&O.

Really?  Have never cruised on the other side of the pond, but the Arvia and Iona are based on the same platform as the Excel Class on Carnival and the Sphere Class on Princess.  They would be at the top of my list while doing research.  So, if there's no competitive agencies to provide perks and discounts like we're accustomed to having cruising in the Western Hemisphere, it sort of puts you in a corner and you're stuck accepting what the agency charges.

6 minutes ago, DCThunder said:

Perhaps, does Plus or Premier get access to the E/P lounge?  I never buy the packages so honestly don't know.

No, but the only purpose of going if you are Platinum or above and you can get your drinks through your paid package, all that would leave you with is some appetizers.  Unless of course you're a lush and the 15 drinks from your package isn't enough.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Really?  Have never cruised on the other side of the pond, but the Arvia and Iona are based on the same platform as the Excel Class on Carnival and the Sphere Class on Princess.  They would be at the top of my list while doing research.  So, if there's no competitive agencies to provide perks and discounts like we're accustomed to having cruising in the Western Hemisphere, it sort of puts you in a corner and you're stuck accepting what the agency charges.

Not sure what P&O's schtick about only allowing Brits onboard.  Another weird thing about P&O my British friends have told me is that travel insurance with P&O is mandatory.  If you don't purchase the travel insurance directly with P&O, you have to provide proof of 3rd party travel insurance covering a predetermined amount or you will be denied boarding.

3 minutes ago, SCX22 said:

Not sure what P&O's schtick about only allowing Brits onboard.  Another weird thing about P&O my British friends have told me is that travel insurance with P&O is mandatory.  If you don't purchase the travel insurance directly with P&O, you have to provide proof of 3rd party travel insurance covering a predetermined amount or you will be denied boarding.

A friend of mine cruised on the Iona to Norway.  I'll have to inquire who he booked things through and if he was forced to take travel insurance.  Mandatory things like that put a bad taste in my mouth.

52 minutes ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

A friend of mine cruised on the Iona to Norway.  I'll have to inquire who he booked things through and if he was forced to take travel insurance.  Mandatory things like that put a bad taste in my mouth.

This is not uncommon when visiting certain other countries. I have had to prove I had insurance, not necessarily travel insurance but insurance to cover me in case I am sick when I am in that country.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Coral said:

This is not uncommon when visiting certain other countries. I have had to prove I had insurance, not necessarily travel insurance but insurance to cover me in case I am sick when I am in that country.

That's another story.  We have an annual medical insurance policy that covers us outside the US.  I have never paid for cancellation or trip interruption insurance.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Retired-N-Happy said:

Less value? Eye of the beholder. Where did the 75% statistic come from?

Plus & Premier are separate entities.  The onboard - platinum , elite ,full Suite lounge -those passengers could be on standard fare. Some of course may be on plus or premier fare. If on standard fare the lounge (alcohol)drinks are $8. + gratuity. Not all PES patrons participate in alcohol.

There is snacks in that lounge.

On ships that have a concierge lounge- full suites may use that or the PES lounge.

Edited by arizonaperson