Is shipboard credit shareable between two in a cabin?

edgee

Through a combination of sources my wife and I have $400 each in shipboard credit (not to be confused with SM excursion credit) for an upcoming cruise. Is this treated by Oceania as $800 for the cabin,or can each of us only spend our own $400? For example, if she purchases a $550 spa services package for the cruise, can she draw from our $800 combination of credits, or would she be charged on the credit card the $150 difference in excess being spent over her $400. Reason I ask is that I know that SM excursion credit cannot be shared between cabin occupants..wondering if it is the same for "regular" non refundable credit.

7 minutes ago, edgee said:

Through a combination of sources my wife and I have $400 each in shipboard credit (not to be confused with SM excursion credit) for an upcoming cruise. Is this treated by Oceania as $800 for the cabin,or can each of us only spend our own $400? For example, if she purchases a $550 spa services package for the cruise, can she draw from our $800 combination of credits, or would she be charged on the credit card the $150 difference in excess being spent over her $400. Reason I ask is that I know that SM excursion credit cannot be shared between cabin occupants..wondering if it is the same for "regular" non refundable credit.

Non-tour SBC is usually for the cabin but is often based on a per person allocation tied to your O Club status (and you’ll see it displayed that way on the O invoice). Unless you’ve made some arrangement for separate CC onboard billing, that SBC is treated as a single amount of $ credit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Agree, if you use two credit cards (one for each) the credit will be as one.  However if you both set up credit with a card, the charges will be whoever signs the bill.

Keep in mind that:

"All onboard purchases and services will be billed to your onboard account. You will simply present your [O] World Card whenever purchases are made. ... [O] will issue you an [O] World Card. This card will serve as your boarding card, stateroom door key and onboard account charge card. Your World Card also serves as your shipboard security ID and as the ID required to embark and disembark the ship."

You can see your respective balances on the TV monitor daily and you'll each get a "Preliminary Statement" printout before the end. And you can each then get a final "Statement".

How you use your individual World Cards will affect who is charged for what.

So, she could use her World Card to pay for $550 in Spa charges but you could also charge $400 to her card and $150 to your card. My wife and I prefer to stay on top of who is getting charged for what to balance out the amounts during the cruise rather than any reconciliation at the end. But that's us. (Must be my MBA and her being a Dental Hygienist? We like to track things carefully.)

Pulled out one of my old Preliminary and final Statements. See on 11/25/22 we both were charged $113.40 at a Boutique. I think this was for something my wife wanted.

I believe we are starting to make an easy situation confusing.

In over 15 years and over 30 cruises on O we’ve always used whichever card was convenient. It always works out and balances out in the end. Don’t over think it. 

• Like 10

Though during the cruise IF you go to the TV menu and look at your statement, you'll be seeing YOUR statement and HER/HIS statement, two different statements, tied to how each is using their own World Card. You don't see just one statement tied to your room. It is good to keep in mind that IF you want to, you can use the World Cards in a way that works best for you as a couple so you feel comfortable each day with your then current statement.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Though during the cruise IF you go to the TV menu and look at your statement, you'll be seeing YOUR statement and HER/HIS statement, two different statements, tied to how each is using their own World Card. You don't see just one statement tied to your room. It is good to keep in mind that IF you want to, you can use the World Cards in a way that works best for you as a couple so you feel comfortable each day with your then current statement.

If that works for you fine. I do know how the system works. It’s always balanced out, no matter who uses their card wherever. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Keep in mind that:

"All onboard purchases and services will be billed to your onboard account. You will simply present your [O] World Card whenever purchases are made. ... [O] will issue you an [O] World Card. This card will serve as your boarding card, stateroom door key and onboard account charge card. Your World Card also serves as your shipboard security ID and as the ID required to embark and disembark the ship."

You can see your respective balances on the TV monitor daily and you'll each get a "Preliminary Statement" printout before the end. And you can each then get a final "Statement".

How you use your individual World Cards will affect who is charged for what.

So, she could use her World Card to pay for $550 in Spa charges but you could also charge $400 to her card and $150 to your card. My wife and I prefer to stay on top of who is getting charged for what to balance out the amounts during the cruise rather than any reconciliation at the end. But that's us. (Must be my MBA and her being a Dental Hygienist? We like to track things carefully.)

Pulled out one of my old Preliminary and final Statements. See on 11/25/22 we both were charged $113.40 at a Boutique. I think this was for something my wife wanted.

I can’t imagine my husband checking my charges on our cruise ship’s account or elsewhere, if it’s matter. But probably for someone who is much more financially concerned it sounds normal.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, osandomir said:

I can’t imagine my husband checking my charges on our cruise ship’s account or elsewhere, if it’s matter. But probably for someone who is much more financially concerned it sounds normal.

Really, so you don't look at the same TV monitor when you check your individual accounts during the cruise? You tell him to turn his back or leave the room? And please STOP pretending that you have one joint account. You don't. You get your own separate statements! So, couples can do what they want. (You might study the statistics on couples and finances. Those who have shared accounts, those who have individual accounts, those who have a mix of both. This is 2024. Not 1954. So wide variety of practices in regard to finances and financial activities.)

2 minutes ago, MEFIowa said:

Really, so you don't look at the same TV monitor when you check your individual accounts during the cruise? You tell him to turn his back or leave the room? And please STOP pretending that you have one joint account. You don't. You get your own separate statements! So, couples can do what they want. (You might study the statistics on couples and finances. Those who have shared accounts, those who have individual accounts, those who have a mix of both. This is 2024. Not 1954. So wide variety of practices in regard to finances and financial activities.)

Well, we don’t even pay attention to all details that you mentioned. I guess we have other better things to do on the vacation. And just curious - were you different in 1954 or 1974 than you are now?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I would swear that both of our charges show on the TV at the same time. I know we get one paper statement. There is only one credit card associated with our room, so maybe that's why.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, AMHuntFerry said:

I would swear that both of our charges show on the TV at the same time. I know we get one paper statement. There is only one credit card associated with our room, so maybe that's why.

This is our experience, too.

• Like 2

We have his, hers, and ours bank accounts and credit cards.  But for cruises, regardless of the purchases, we consider it ours.  So we both register the same joint card and both of our onboard charges show up on the same account display and on the single final bill.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, osandomir said:

We only have one account, ours. We used to have separate checking etc. but somewhere along the line that just didn't matter anymore. Now it's just us.

Let me edit this to say that we have multiple credit cards, some in my name, some in hers, but that's only to work the system, not to keep anything separate. 

4 hours ago, MEFIowa said:

Oh my. 

Edited by ORV
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, ORV said:

We only have one account, ours. We used to have separate checking etc. but somewhere along the line that just didn't matter anymore. Now it's just us.

Let me edit this to say that we have multiple credit cards, some in my name, some in hers, but that's only to work the system, not to keep anything separate. 

Oh my. 

We use our individual CC accounts where there are large purchases that are clearly personal to one or the other.  Otherwise it's balancing of points, miles, and other benefits that we use use them.  We like having a small individual checking accounts so we feel we can splurge once in a while on some special treat or need for ourselves.

Edited by 1985rz1

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Oh my. 

Really, Oh my-Oh my😂

5 hours ago, AMHuntFerry said:

And, of course, that makes the most sense. Use one partner’s CC for the onboard account. Easier to confirm purchases against a single account printout. Also, set aside one high limit card (with no balance due) in case you have to cover an emergency medical bill.

• Thanks 1