Has anyone received FOLDED laundry recently?

I was just on a Nieuw Statendam cruise that started on July 10 and ended on July 20. I sent laundry out three times to be done and checked off that I wanted my clothes returned folded. In all three cases, my laundry (except for socks) was returned on hangers. This was for t-shirts, shorts, and jeans. This was not what I wanted. I mentioned something to the cabin steward and he didn't know anything about it. I did not want to receive my clothes on hangers and actually found it annoying to fold everything and then put the clothes in drawers. In fact, on the cruise survey, I scored them a 5 for this and even commented about it. I have done laundry many times in the past and have no problem having ALL clothes returned folded in baskets. What gives?

• Haha 2

Never had a problem with requesting clothes folded or on hangers and have done both. Did you try the Navigator app? Asking Guest Services? Making a gigantic "Please fold!" note on your laundry slip? 

BTW, I like to fold my own laundry the way I like it, not that they don't take care in doing it though.

• Like 2

I sent out laundry several times on the NS in May and requested folded clothes. All but the last load came back folded as requested. Everything was on hangers the last time, which I thought was odd, but it didn’t really matter to me. I just put it down to a different person in the laundry room. 

I bet if you commented in the app, it would come back folded as requested thereafter. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, waiting2retire said:

I bet if you commented in the app, it would come back folded as requested thereafter. 

I never thought of using the app. Hopefully, my survey comment will be noticed. 

17 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Never had a problem with requesting clothes folded or on hangers and have done both. Did you try the Navigator app? Asking Guest Services? Making a gigantic "Please fold!" note on your laundry slip? 

Nope! It was just one of those small list of grievances that built up during the cruise (along with the lack of IPAs and inconsistent wifi). I tend to wait to complain until I'm really angry or seriously harmed. 

Carry a Sharpie marker and circle something if they miss your instructions. I try to be as nice as possible because it can't be fun doing laundry for hundreds of people. (I'm not wild about doing it at home and there are only two of us.)

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

For two days in May, the Nieuw Amsterdam laundry ran out of hangers and clothes were folded.  Room Stewards collected all the used ones from guests and hanger service was restored.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Carry a Sharpie marker and circle something if they miss your instructions. I try to be as nice as possible because it can't be fun doing laundry for hundreds of people. (I'm not wild about doing it at home and there are only two of us.)

True.

I was on the same cruise and requested my laundry to be folded and it came back on hangers.  I just figured it was easier for them and takes less time to put the clothes on hangers than folding each item.  The laundry staff work so hard to deliver clean clothes, often within less than 24 hours, that I certainly would not score them low because of clothes not being folded!  It took me a only a few minutes to fold and put away my clothes. Time well spent if it eases their work load.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, Lunar Dragon said:

I was on the same cruise and requested my laundry to be folded and it came back on hangers.  I just figured it was easier for them and takes less time to put the clothes on hangers than folding each item.  The laundry staff work so hard to deliver clean clothes, often within less than 24 hours, that I certainly would not score them low because of clothes not being folded!  It took me a only a few minutes to fold and put away my clothes. Time well spent if it eases their work load.

I see your point but if they are advertising folded clothes and they are returning them on hangers to everyone, that's really not good service. If they do not wish to do my laundry then they can tell me instead of being passive aggressive about it. 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I see your point but if they are advertising folded clothes and they are returning them on hangers to everyone, that's really not good service. If they do not wish to do my laundry then they can tell me instead of being passive aggressive about it. 

We will  just have to agree to disagree.  I think they provide an amazing service and I expect with a full ship they were just extremely busy. Perhaps HAL should just omit the option all together to make their lives easier.  Being home now, I would just  love to have clean laundry delivered folded or on hangers😁

• Like 12

23 minutes ago, Lunar Dragon said:

We will  just have to agree to disagree.  I think they provide an amazing service and I expect with a full ship they were just extremely busy. Perhaps HAL should just omit the option all together to make their lives easier.  Being home now, I would just  love to have clean laundry delivered folded or on hangers😁

Perhaps I am trying to find things to complain about now that I am home. I had a wonderful time on the cruise.

• Like 2

I was on the NS in May as well, used the laundry service several times and never had an issue.  I like my laundry folded as well and that's how it came....sorry you had a problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

How is putting your laundry on hangars and not folded being passive aggressive? And how is that suggesting they don't want to do your laundry. My suggestion, don't send your laundry out. Bring enough clothes so you don't have to.  I would think it's such a petty thing to complain about. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

38 minutes ago, vjblk said:

How is putting your laundry on hangars and not folded being passive aggressive? And how is that suggesting they don't want to do your laundry. My suggestion, don't send your laundry out. Bring enough clothes so you don't have to.  I would think it's such a petty thing to complain about. 

I agree completely. In fact, I was on this exact cruise and thought the laundry did a great job with the ONE time I used it. What I find most interesting about the OP is not just the pettiness of the complaint, but trying to figure out how or why someone needs to have their laundry done 3 times on a 10-day cruise.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

I agree completely. In fact, I was on this exact cruise and thought the laundry did a great job with the ONE time I used it. What I find most interesting about the OP is not just the pettiness of the complaint, but trying to figure out how or why someone needs to have their laundry done 3 times on a 10-day cruise.

Those who like to use carry ons only may leverage the laundry more often.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

Also, if you are traveling pre and post cruise, you may have more laundry to do.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ChinaShrek said:

I was just on a Nieuw Statendam cruise that started on July 10 and ended on July 20. I sent laundry out three times to be done and checked off that I wanted my clothes returned folded. In all three cases, my laundry (except for socks) was returned on hangers. This was for t-shirts, shorts, and jeans. This was not what I wanted. I mentioned something to the cabin steward and he didn't know anything about it. I did not want to receive my clothes on hangers and actually found it annoying to fold everything and then put the clothes in drawers. In fact, on the cruise survey, I scored them a 5 for this and even commented about it. I have done laundry many times in the past and have no problem having ALL clothes returned folded in baskets. What gives?

Had similar experience on first leg of a 28 day cruise. Mentioned it to room steward and he explained that the ship we were on now hang cloths unless the folded box is checked.  No issues rest of cruise (checked the folded box, and wife also wrote fold please on slip). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Getting hung up (pun intended) on my laundry being folded or put on hangers would be pretty low down on my list of complaints in life. How having laundry being put on hangers viewed as passive aggressive is just beyond me.

• Like 2

In 2023 on the Zuiderdam I marked "folded" clothes twice (I was on for 200 days so no comments about number of laundry orders, please). I always keep the pink carbon, and they send the original  form back with the clothes. The second time the original showed someone marked out folded and circled hanging -- not reflected on my pink copy. I showed it to my stateroom attendant and it didn't happen again. I normally would not care that much, but I was getting a suitcase ready for shipping home and preferred folded.

• Like 1

I usually check "folded".  A few times I've received the clothes back on hangers, but to me, it's such a non-issue.  I'm on an awesome vacation, being pampered like crazy, and NOT doing laundry.  I can always use an extra few hangers in the cabin anyway. ☺️

• Like 1

We have been in a Neptune suite 3 times in the last year.  We always get our laundry back folded and on hangers, a pressed as needed.  We got our laundry back within 24 hours, often twice in one day.  I suspect that our cabin steward made shore that the service was timely,

22 hours ago, vjblk said:

To be honest, what sparked me to post this thread was the survey category that asked me about laundry. I paid $105 for three pages of laundry. It listed folded clothes as an option. I did not receive what I expected. It is a small thing and that's why I didn't complain about it on the cruise. I am not expecting any sympathy or advice. I just wanted to to know if HAL had failed others in this area. I am not sure what I will do on my next cruise regarding laundry.

21 hours ago, MadManOfBethesda said:

I had $800 worth of non-refundable OBC to use.