Norweigen Cruise Liquid Ban - Title 3 ADA Violation?

2 hours ago, NightGuardianAngel said:

Thanks for clarifying this.  The CDC strongly discourages regular tap water to be used in CPAP machines.  I just never cruised with NCL before and I am glad they do deliver the distilled water for no extra charge.  This definitely puts them in compliance with ADA.  The ban on outside sodas, to my knowledge, does not violate ADA.

NCL does not have to comply with ADA. Period. 

40 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

NCL does not have to comply with ADA. Period. 

Incorrect.  See SCOTUS case "Spector v NCL".  Foreign flag cruise ships have to comply with some aspects of the ADA, but not all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

On 7/31/2024 at 6:36 PM, smallestdog said:

Thank you. That is the online form I used previously (and was trying to use now). It looks like there may have been changes to the form.

Previously I remember a checkbox for requesting distilled water, and NCL would then reply by email to confirm that this would be available on the ship. Now it looks like the checkbox on the form is to notify NCL that I will be bringing distilled water, which is something quite different. 

I will ask my PCC if she can make the request on my behalf.

NCLform.thumb.jpg.4cce67c00ddc07b282805f019f8fa410.jpg

I just check the Sleep Apnea and in the "Other" section at the bottom, I put "Request Distilled water in room for CPAP.    Been on 10 NCL cruises and always had the gallon jug waiting for me. 

• Like 1

On 8/17/2024 at 5:18 AM, chengkp75 said:

Incorrect.  See SCOTUS case "Spector v NCL".  Foreign flag cruise ships have to comply with some aspects of the ADA, but not all.

Thank you, Chief. 

Is NCL compelled to allow passengers to bring their own brand of sodas onboard because it is part of their normal diet?

6 hours ago, Triguy2009 said:

I just check the Sleep Apnea and in the "Other" section at the bottom, I put "Request Distilled water in room for CPAP.    Been on 10 NCL cruises and always had the gallon jug waiting for me. 

Thank you for the suggestion. I have done exactly this.

Excuse my ignorance please. What is the difference between DI Water and Distilled Water from a medical point of view. My wife uses distilled water in her CPAP machine, but I am not familiar with De-ionized water.

Thanks.

Doug

9 minutes ago, hallux said:

Thanks. I've never heard of DI until today. Who'd have thought CC would be so educational?😉

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Thanks. I've never heard of DI until today. Who'd have thought CC would be so educational?😉

In my experience, when people say they use "distilled water" for this and that most of the time what they actually use is DI water. Not always, but most of the time.

9 hours ago, Asawi said:

In my experience, when people say they use "distilled water" for this and that most of the time what they actually use is DI water. Not always, but most of the time.

I have a home distiller, so it's distilled water at home. Whatever they give me on the cruise has also been fine. 

Normal people would ask if NCL allows passengers to bring distilled water on board for a CPAP machine.  Terrible people go right to claiming NCL is violating their rights.  

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Liljo22 said:

Normal people would ask if NCL allows passengers to bring distilled water on board for a CPAP machine.  Terrible people go right to claiming NCL is violating their rights.  

Well, the OP didn't actually care about the CPAP users. They just want to bring their own drinks, from what I could gather. 

• Like 1

Sorry - there is no reason why you medically need SODA. No - that is not an ADA violation. Even for diabetics - there are other options available for quick acting sugar sources. Glucose tabs, skittles, you can even get orange juice from the dining room and put it in your fridge in case you need it during the night. We often brought food/beverages to our rooms. You can even get a beverage package that includes soda if you feel you need soda in particular.  

Regarding CPAP. Yes - distilled water is recommended for extending the life of the CPAP (hardwater mineral buildup needs to be avoided) - but technically - you can put ANY water in the machine. OR - not use water at all. Personally - I often didn't fill my humidifier. When I travelled with it - I used whatever bottled water I could get my hands on. And when I bought a travel size CPAP for hiking trips - I bought one that used humidification disks instead of water. My point is - There are other options. 

As for tap water - that should be use as a last resort due to possible contamination - however - as a last resort - it can be used. I have used it myself as a last result. BUT - only in places where they have "clean" water. I wouldn't risk it in lots of places. 

THAT said - sounds like Norwegian offers distilled water for CPAPs.... so no problems there. But if they didn't - they might operate similarly to airplanes - where you can get medical certification for the need of distilled water and carry it on a plane with you. However- always check with TSA/Airlines and Cruiselines directly instead of relying on people you don't know on public forums. 

• Like 1