SOUTHAMPTON TO HEATHROW

Down-Unders

29 minutes ago, Down-Unders said:

Getting off Queen Anne can we catch a 09.30 Coach  to Heathrow from Southampton Bus Terminal.

Probably as long as the ship is not late arriving and you self disembark.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Down-Unders said:

Getting off Queen Anne can we catch a 09.30 Coach  to Heathrow from Southampton Bus Terminal.

@david63 gave good information.  But it’s a long walk dragging cases etc., so a cab is probably preferred, not forgetting to book the Coach seat/s in advance

• Thanks 1

I suspect the factor there is that the National Express coach will arrive at Terminal 5 for 11:15 hrs, whereas the Cunard service is advertised for those departing at 14:00 hrs (their coach will actually arrive around midday). Some advertising suggests they check boarding passes to ensure that people have departures after this time - which as far as I can tell they don't actually do.

If it's Mayflower, and it may not be so, then the coach station is just over a mile from the terminal, 30 minutes will cover it if you have reasonable mobility. There are plenty of taxis, that will be around £7 fare before tips to the coach station. If on Fast Track, the very earliest you can plan to be in the Coach Station is 07:30 hrs, but it could be somewhat later for a long list of reasons. But 09:30 is usually safe in most circumstances but not guaranteed.

The other way I do this is rail to Woking and the RailAir bus from there to Heathrow.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hampshirelad said:

you are then their responsibility

Not sure that is true and if it is then it would only apply if it was a Cunard flight, which the OP has made no mention of.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pushpit said:

I suspect the factor there is that the National Express coach will arrive at Terminal 5 for 11:15 hrs, whereas the Cunard service is advertised for those departing at 14:00 hrs (their coach will actually arrive around midday). Some advertising suggests they check boarding passes to ensure that people have departures after this time - which as far as I can tell they don't actually do.

If it's Mayflower, and it may not be so, then the coach station is just over a mile from the terminal, 30 minutes will cover it if you have reasonable mobility. There are plenty of taxis, that will be around £7 fare before tips to the coach station. If on Fast Track, the very earliest you can plan to be in the Coach Station is 07:30 hrs, but it could be somewhat later for a long list of reasons. But 09:30 is usually safe in most circumstances but not guaranteed.

The other way I do this is rail to Woking and the RailAir bus from there to Heathrow.

There's a form to fill out that asks your airline and flight number so they can assign you to the bus that goes to your terminal. I guess you could lie about the flight number if your flight is before 1400, but that's a risky idea. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/29/2024 at 1:50 AM, Pushpit said:

Thank you all for your replies, decided on National Express 10.30, we wanted to get to Heathrow early as we are in the lounge,  do they have anywhere for plane spotting? Last time I was in the UK many many years ago we were allowed to go up to the viewing roof with all the plane spotters, what an experience! I suppose that is all gone. 

Thank you all for your replies, decided on National Express 10.30, we wanted to get to Heathrow early as we are in the lounge,  do they have anywhere for plane spotting? Last time I was in the UK many many years ago we were allowed to go up to the viewing roof with all the plane spotters, what an experience! I suppose that is all gone. 

You were probably at the Queen's Building which was demolished in 2009. Which terminal are you at? All the terminals apparently do have viewing areas.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

You were probably at the Queen's Building which was demolished in 2009. Which terminal are you at? All the terminals apparently do have viewing areas.

I believe it is terminal 3.

5 minutes ago, Down-Unders said:

Oh dear, Terminal 3 is the worst. The views from there are for a pay per entry lounge, so not good. But if you have ages you could go across to Termainl 2 which is close. Sorry.

• Terminal 2

From the Wondertree restaurant in the departure lounge, there are some incredible views out over the runway.

• Terminal 3

Enjoy panoramic runway views from the No.1 Traveller Lounge (a charge applies) and more intimate views from some of the departure gates.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

Oh dear, Terminal 3 is the worst. The views from there are for a pay per entry lounge, so not good. But if you have ages you could go across to Termainl 2 which is close. Sorry.

• Terminal 2

From the Wondertree restaurant in the departure lounge, there are some incredible views out over the runway.

• Terminal 3

Enjoy panoramic runway views from the No.1 Traveller Lounge (a charge applies) and more intimate views from some of the departure gates.

We are in our airlines Business lounge, will that help?

Cathay has a good view on to a section of the apron with the southern runway behind it. That's in both their Business and First lounges. In BA's First lounge only there is a view of the same apron as Cathay but not so much of the runway. Vigin's Clubhouse (also used by Delta) has a nice row of windows on to the apron, probably the best one overall at T3. Emirates also has a view, it's just down one side of the terminal though. AA and Qantas don't really have much of a view. T3 was poorly designed since it's actually in the heart of Heathrow, so the scope for a big sheet of glass and a great view is definitely there and definitely missed.

• Thanks 2