Classic Drinks Package - How does it work?

LAC91

Posted (edited)

Hello all, I’m so sorry if this has been answered already within the forum, I’ve looked but can’t find the answers I need.

We’ll be on our first cruise is August sailing with the Solstice and have the classic drinks package. We’ve seen the PDF document which outlines what’s included in our drinks package when it comes to the brands etc. and the price caps, but it’s difficult to find individual drink prices. I’ve also read comments that the Celebrity drink prices have changed, and therefore most of the cocktails now fall within the premium package. I’ve taken a look at certain bar drinks menu within the Celebrity app and I can’t find any cocktails $10 or under. 

A couple of questions:

1. Can we actually get cocktails within our classic drinks package and if so, I assume you just ask the bartender to make a certain cocktail, highlighting our classic package, and they then use the suitable liquors/bands?

2. Also, when ordering a type of Whiskey/Gin/Vodka etc. that falls within the classic drinks package, I’m assuming that’s for one straight measure at an estimate of $7. But if I wanted to add a mixer to the drink like Coke at an estimate of $5, would that then be classed as premium (as that would then be a total of $12), and therefore you would have to order a Whiskey and then the Coke separately? I know that might sound like a silly question but just trying to fully understand how it works.

Thanks for any info you can provide. 

Edited by LAC91
Spelling

Yes you can get plenty of standard cocktails in the Classic package.  If you want something more expensive you just pay the difference.  Sometimes upgrading to the Premium package is worth it if you like higher quality/more expensive wines and cocktails.  

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

The drink prices aren't listed as the packages, as indicated, are based on the brand levels of alcohol used in the drinks.  The price threshold for each package is a guideline based on the most common and typical drinks that would be made within each category based on the alcohol brands provided.  Should a given drink due to the complexity of the mix or brands that may be required to be used to make it exceed that threshold, you would be advised and, if ok, then charged the difference for that drink.

If  "well liquor" alcohol brands and the lower to mid level wines and more limited beer selections are suitable for you, then the classic package will be fine and you will likely never exceed the price threshold for your day to day selections.

The Premium package just expands both the variety of the types of alcohol and their level of quality by including most of the "top shelf" brands in the groups.  Virtually any drink using any specified brand of alcohol can be made with a higher price threshold.  We have never had a drink made with this package the exceeded this level.  Wine brands and selection as well as beer choices are significantly expanded and improved with this package. 

A simple example would be that with the Classic package, a vodka and tonic would be made with Smirnoff vodka as an option, whereas with the Premium package it would be made with Gray Goose as an option. And with the Classic package if you ordered it with Gray Goose you would be charged the difference.  That is when drink prices would come into play.

The key is don't try to focus on drink prices as that really is irrelevant, but instead study the brands and selection of alcohol offered in the Classic package to determine if there is enough variety with the cocktails you normally would consume to be acceptable to you with those brand selections.  If so, then that is the correct package for you.

And as mentioned, mixers are not broken out separately and are part of drink mixes as required.  Soda's, etc.., are shown as full cans are part of the choices you have to consume.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 3

Try not to overthink it. Just ask for what you want, rum & coke, gin and tonic, margarita on the rocks etc. Your drinks will be made with the included brands unless you specify otherwise. 

It confuses a lot of people because each bar has some specialty drinks listed on their table menus. It may appear that there’s not much included in the classic package. Again, just ask for what you’d like.

Exceptions are the Martini Bar and World Class Bar, where the drinks they prepare are quite specific.  I believe that the Martini bar can provide some martinis that are covered on the classic package because I believe that appletinis and cosmopolitans are available complimentary to Captains Club Elites and above during the 5:00-7:00 time frame.

• Like 1

The bartenders will know what drinks package you have from your seapass card. You do not have to order off the specialty menus at all bars. Just order the regular cocktail that you want and it will be made with the classic liquor unless otherwise specified. Martini and World Class bars are the exception as noted above. These only serve their menu drinks, with a few exceptions that can vary by ship. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, 39august said:

The bartenders will know what drinks package you have from your seapass card. You do not have to order off the specialty menus at all bars. Just order the regular cocktail that you want and it will be made with the classic liquor unless otherwise specified. Martini and World Class bars are the exception as noted above. These only serve their menu drinks, with a few exceptions that can vary by ship. 

I have always had success at the World Class Bar and Martini Bar of getting a liquor they serve on the rocks...Goose On the Rocks, etc...that said, I'm always rolling with the premium drinks...so that makes a difference on uncharges etc..

To the OP, if premium alcohol matters, watch your cruise planner for a "flash sale" on upgrading...I have seen it as low as $6.99 PPPD.  Sometimes you will see someone on these boards talking about these sales..think around US Holidays, etc...

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Thanks 2