What are the things that have changed about cruising since your first cruise?

6 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

It seems like all everybody talks about now is how expensive cruises have gotten, but it sounds like in the grand scheme of things they've actually gotten quite a bit cheaper. 

Though when I hear the stories of old, it does sound like the service was quite a bit better than it is today. 

The thing is that today we have a lot more choices in terms of the quality of cruise lines and the type of cabin.  One can cruise on MSC for less than $100 per person/day, if they book one of the lowest cost cabins/experiences.  On the other hand, folks can go on that same ship in a large suite within the Yacht Club and pay more than 5 times that cost.  

A majority of cruisers, today, have cabins with some kind of balcony.  Back in the 70s, nearly everyone had either an inside cabin or outside cabin.  Even the suites, on many ships, did not have a balcony.  

Was service better in the ole days?  Sometimes. but not always.  The best service we have ever experienced (in over 50 years of extensive cruising) was on our first MSC cruise (Divina) when we were in the Yacht Club.  The service was "over the top" with Concierges seemingly everywhere, taking us to shows and the dining room, etc.  Even when we disembarked, our Concierge guided us to a reserved elevator, through the hoards, and to the gangway.  Even on luxury lines (we have cruised a few) the service has never quite risen to that level.  

On the other hand, when we first cruised on RCCL (now RCI) back in the late 70s (Sun Viking) we had the usual waiter and assistant waiter at our assigned table.  The waiters wore white gloves, and served all the sides from silver containers.  When they had lobster night, our waiter (who later became our friend) served all the mains, brought the sides, opened each person's baked potato and spooned in the toppings, and later returned with a large platter full of more than a dozen large lobster tails for anyone who wanted more (he left the platter on the table).  And that was just on RCCL!    

These days, the cruise customers are different.  A majority of them want the Mega ships with all the bells and whistles It is a smaller group (like me) who prefer the small ships (I think 600 passengers are too many) without all the bells/whistles.  We have done some of the huge ships and enjoyed those cruises, but put me on a 450 passenger Seabourn ship and I am happy as a clam.

By the way, it is interesting (at least to me) that all the luxury cruise lines still use smaller ships.  Nobody has tried to build a mega luxury ship.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

The thing is that today we have a lot more choices in terms of the quality of cruise lines and the type of cabin.  One can cruise on MSC for less than $100 per person/day, if they book one of the lowest cost cabins/experiences.  On the other hand, folks can go on that same ship in a large suite within the Yacht Club and pay more than 5 times that cost.  

A majority of cruisers, today, have cabins with some kind of balcony.  Back in the 70s, nearly everyone had either an inside cabin or outside cabin.  Even the suites, on many ships, did not have a balcony.  

Was service better in the ole days?  Sometimes. but not always.  The best service we have ever experienced (in over 50 years of extensive cruising) was on our first MSC cruise (Divina) when we were in the Yacht Club.  The service was "over the top" with Concierges seemingly everywhere, taking us to shows and the dining room, etc.  Even when we disembarked, our Concierge guided us to a reserved elevator, through the hoards, and to the gangway.  Even on luxury lines (we have cruised a few) the service has never quite risen to that level.  

On the other hand, when we first cruised on RCCL (now RCI) back in the late 70s (Sun Viking) we had the usual waiter and assistant waiter at our assigned table.  The waiters wore white gloves, and served all the sides from silver containers.  When they had lobster night, our waiter (who later became our friend) served all the mains, brought the sides, opened each person's baked potato and spooned in the toppings, and later returned with a large platter full of more than a dozen large lobster tails for anyone who wanted more (he left the platter on the table).  And that was just on RCCL!    

These days, the cruise customers are different.  A majority of them want the Mega ships with all the bells and whistles It is a smaller group (like me) who prefer the small ships (I think 600 passengers are too many) without all the bells/whistles.  We have done some of the huge ships and enjoyed those cruises, but put me on a 450 passenger Seabourn ship and I am happy as a clam.

By the way, it is interesting (at least to me) that all the luxury cruise lines still use smaller ships.  Nobody has tried to build a mega luxury ship.

Hank

I appreciate your perspectives on things. 

The YC is our favorite suite experience but we haven't done a luxury line yet... We have young kids so the larger ships are better for them so the suites are a good compromise (though often more expensive than a room on a luxury ship would be).

I'm actually researching this now - we have an opportunity to do a 7 day cruise next July without the kids but there are no Caribbean sailings on the luxury lines in July and we don't have the time to go to Europe so I'm trying to decide between the Oceania Insignia out of NYC to Bermuda or a Great Lakes cruise.

Thanks again for sharing what you've seen!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

I appreciate your perspectives on things. 

The YC is our favorite suite experience but we haven't done a luxury line yet... We have young kids so the larger ships are better for them so the suites are a good compromise (though often more expensive than a room on a luxury ship would be).

I'm actually researching this now - we have an opportunity to do a 7 day cruise next July without the kids but there are no Caribbean sailings on the luxury lines in July and we don't have the time to go to Europe so I'm trying to decide between the Oceania Insignia out of NYC to Bermuda or a Great Lakes cruise.

Thanks again for sharing what you've seen!

I do get it!  We have two young grandsons (5 and 7) and would not even consider taking them on a luxury ship.  The YC would be a good option as would be some of the suite packages on a few other lines.   My wife's cousin recently took a Great Lakes cruise on Viking (they love this line) and enjoyed the experience.  As to the O Insignia, our own preference is to avoid those "R: ships because of the small cabin bathrooms.  That being said, we do think that O offers a decent product.

Hank

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I do get it!  We have two young grandsons (5 and 7) and would not even consider taking them on a luxury ship.  The YC would be a good option as would be some of the suite packages on a few other lines.   My wife's cousin recently took a Great Lakes cruise on Viking (they love this line) and enjoyed the experience.  As to the O Insignia, our own preference is to avoid those "R: ships because of the small cabin bathrooms.  That being said, we do think that O offers a decent product.

Hank

I read about some other complaining about the bathrooms. 

We care very little about the rooms (we book the suites for the amenities), but a small bathroom is worse than a small room. 

I think we're leaning in that direction (worried we'll be too young on Viking) but haven't made a decision. 

Happy sails!

6 hours ago, FamilyAtSea.travel said:

Looks like $700 in 1973 would be worth $5k today, which is right in the middle of what I'd expect to pay for a 7-day cruise today (you can be much cheaper on some lines or way higher on others or in suites).

We have two cruises currently booked.  Two weeks in a balcony and a two weeks in a mini suite. Both are less than what @lenquixote66 paid in 1973 dollars.  Cruise vacations are a good bargain in my view.  Of course, as discussed, they are not the same as they were back in the day.  

• Like 1

One of the differences between our earliest cruises, in the 1990s, and now, is the beds. Back then, we had to carefully study the deck plans - or trust a travel agent - to make sure we got our preferred double bed, not two singles. Cabins had one setup or the other; beds were not movable or reconfigurable.

Apart from that, yes, lots of differences as noted by others.  Set dining times and table, with other passengers. Dress codes followed without question: Formal night saw 100% of men in tuxedos; informal meant blue blazer.  If Casual on first and last night, dress shirt and long pants. And that was not just Cunard, it was what we experienced on HAL, Premier, and others.