Birthday on Cunard Cruise

sonoma03

I will be boarding my first Cunard cruise on my birthday, and I was wondering if Cunard does anything special (complimentary, not a birthday package we have to order) for a birthday.  On my previous cruises on other cruise lines, the waiter would bring a special dessert if you were celebrating a birthday or anniversary, although sometimes the special dessert wasn't as good as the desserts on the regular dining room menu.  Just curious if Cunard does something like that or not.

• Like 1

They used to bring a cake to your table, but now you have to order and pay for it....unless you are in the Grills and are well known.

I was surprised by a cake two years ago on my birthday.

You get a mention on the entertainment today tv broadcast in the morning by the entertainment director, and a birthday card in your cabin signed by the captain and a couple of senior officers. Not sure if this happens on embarkation day though as I’m sure all staff busy getting everyone settled in. I have just celebrated my birthday in grills - no cake - that said other than putting my cards up in the cabin I don’t draw attention to it.

• Like 2

In 2023 on QE (the only occasion either Mrs. sfred or I have ever been aboard on our birthdays), I got a card (unsigned) on the day, delivered to our PG cabin.  No cake, drink, or other recognition, which was fine as I'm not a birthday sort of person.  Although I wouldn't have said no to a glass of champers in the Grills lounge or beer in the Lion.

• Like 1

My birthday was on the day of disembarkation from QM2 (July 2024) and so I didn't expect anything. However the previous evening I received a card signed by the captain, and at dinner a group of waiters gathered round my table and sang happy birthday. The Maitre'd presented me with a small cake which we shared with adjacent tables. 

3 hours ago, sonoma03 said:

I will be boarding my first Cunard cruise on my birthday, and I was wondering if Cunard does anything special (complimentary, not a birthday package we have to order) for a birthday.  On my previous cruises on other cruise lines, the waiter would bring a special dessert if you were celebrating a birthday or anniversary, although sometimes the special dessert wasn't as good as the desserts on the regular dining room menu.  Just curious if Cunard does something like that or not.

The only complimentary gesture I or my daughter have  had is a birthday card. If you are travelling in Grills there may be some other gestures  but sorry for non grills there is nothing else offered. With the vast amount of passengers sailing with birthdays

or anniversaries they have to limit the complimentary items

There's nothing more cringeworthy than a bunch of strangers (I.e. waiters) gather around your table to sing "Happy birthday ". Seems to be especially happening on American ships and towards the end of a cruise.... A lot of people seem to have birthday on the last night.

😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In QG recently, the wait staff sang HB, I received the signed card in our room, got a not small and very delicious cake that also shared with our neighbors, and our butler decorated our bed with roses. I too  am not a bday person but I thought the gestures from the staff was genuine for my 60th. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NE John said:

In QG recently, the wait staff sang HB, I received the signed card in our room, got a not small and very delicious cake that also shared with our neighbors, and our butler decorated our bed with roses. I too  am not a bday person but I thought the gestures from the staff was genuine for my 60th. 

And this was a complete surprise?

30 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

And this was a complete surprise?

The roses certainly were a surprise; I thought we jumped directly to Valentine’s Day.

I booked directly with Cunard this time and when I called directly with questions, each rep said something in the line of “I see you’re traveling with us on your 60th”. I was not expecting a cake (and this was a gorgeous cake) and I too can do without the sung HB, but the crew seemed to enjoy the production so - - All good!

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

My partner had a birthday on embarkation day two years ago. I ordered a cake for our room, but they weren't able to deliver it until the following day. I knew that ahead of time, and it was no problem. He got a nice card signed by the captain, like others have mentioned. It was understated and really nice. Edited to add that it was our first ever cruise, so no high level tier or anything. 

Edited by PNW_Travlr
  • Like 1

I have been on for my 60th in 2014, 65th in 2019 and for my 70th in January this year (disembarkation day)  On each occasion I received a card from Cunard signed by the captain and a mention from the Cruise Director on their morning show.  I travel Britannia.   I am  booked to be on Queen Anne on my birthday next January.   

DH will be celebrating his 80th birthday whilst we are on board the Queen Anne.  However, this is a port day with an overnight stay in Copenhagen and we may well not dine on board that evening.  If anything had been planned by Cunard, eg singing waiters and a cake, what would happen?  Obviously there'd be no singing but would a cake still appear the following day?

We will be informing our table companions not to expect us that night so that they are not sitting waiting for us.  Should we perhaps (on this occasion) mention it to the maitre d' ?

We are not desperate for a cake, but it seems a shame to miss out.

2 hours ago, babs135 said:

DH will be celebrating his 80th birthday whilst we are on board the Queen Anne.  However, this is a port day with an overnight stay in Copenhagen and we may well not dine on board that evening.  If anything had been planned by Cunard, eg singing waiters and a cake, what would happen?  Obviously there'd be no singing but would a cake still appear the following day?

We will be informing our table companions not to expect us that night so that they are not sitting waiting for us.  Should we perhaps (on this occasion) mention it to the maitre d' ?

We are not desperate for a cake, but it seems a shame to miss out.

You will only receive a card in your cabin. Cakes are only provided for non grills if they are ordered and paid for beforehand. Waiters only sing if thy know on the night they won’t do otherwise. I don’t like fuss nor do my daughters so we say nothing and then don’t have singing waiters or other guests. 

• Like 2

Singing waiters used to be rare / non existent on Cunard. But over the last year or so it's become more common. I had 2 full renditions and 1 half rendition last night in QM2 Britannia. The recipients got something that looked like an iced sponge cake.

9 hours ago, Pushpit said:

Singing waiters used to be rare / non existent on Cunard. But over the last year or so it's become more common. I had 2 full renditions and 1 half rendition last night in QM2 Britannia. The recipients got something that looked like an iced sponge cake.

Oh dear. I would pay extra not to get that. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

All I got for my birthday today was a voucher for 30% off rubies, addressed to somebody else!

So I can confirm you absolutely won't be embarrassed by singing waiters unless you ask for them!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2