JamieLogical's Live from the Enchanted Princess 8/10

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

The kitties don’t look too sure about the interloper…. EM

They were VERY skeptical of Skadey, the Official Cat of Curacao.

Edited by JamieLogical

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

We were supposed to meet up in the theater on Deck 6, since we had "Gold 6" luggage tags with our expected departure time being 8:55. Since we weren't in a rush, we waited by the elevators and were letting people go ahead of us as they could. Almost all the down elevators were completely full by the time they got to us on Deck 10. There were some frustrating moments, like when an older couple was waiting with us for a while. The gentleman had to walk with a cane. Then an elevator came and another couple who had JUST arrived raced over to the elevator and took the empty spots, while the older couple couldn't get there fast enough. At that time, I definitely made a comment about people having no common decency which may or may not have been overheard by another couple who was waiting at the time with two very large suitcases. That couple was waiting patiently as well and weren't trying to push onto any overcrowded elevators with their giant bags.

We continued to wait, but when it got to over 15 minutes, I started thinking we should really just take whatever the next elevator was that we could fit on. One came at the 18-minute mark and another couple who had JUST arrived raced over and they were closer than we were. I said something like "wait wait wait... we've been waiting for 18 minutes here, you can't just cut in front of us." From out of nowhere, the guy from the young couple with the large suitcases who had been waiting nearly as long as us just started screaming and cursing at me. I really could not understand what was happening, I was just so shocked. I don't think I even realized he was yelling at me until my husband started yelling back at him to defend me. All I really registered was a lot of F-bombs and something about my "loud mouth" or "loud voice"? I don't understand what I had done to offend him. I was trying to advocate for the people who had been waiting a long time, like him and his wife. It wasn't fair for people who had just arrived at the elevators to take up spots when others had been waiting over 15 minutes. As soon as my I registered what was happening, I told my husband not to engage and fortunately, we were on the elevator and whisked away. I did feel bad for that other couple who had cut us off and I had basically kicked off the elevator. They were stuck there waiting with that guy and who knows what he said/did once we were gone?

I'm sorry you had to deal with this.  I'll file this as reason #18 that I pack as little as I can and avoid such messes.  I will also add this to Elevator Horror Stories Digest #44.

Thanks again for giving us the ending to your story.

My final thoughts on this cruise are pretty simple. It was a great cruise! I was so happy to not have any of the issues with OceanNow orders that I had on my previous cruises (except extra towels that first day). Service was quick and good (except for that one MDR lunch). The crew were fantastic and it was impossible to only give commendations to five of them in the post-cruise survey. The itinerary was also fantastic! Despite the heat, we really had good weather at all of our port stops and thoroughly enjoyed all of them for different reasons. I was happy with our room and grateful we got the upgrade to the mini-suite so I had a larger desk area for working and the larger bathroom. The room location was great, very close to the mid-ship elevators, and we had a slightly larger balcony than a typical mini-suite. We took full advantage of our Princess Premier package using the multi-device wifi for my work and my husband's gadgets, two specialty dining meals, something like 18 meals at the casual dining venues, about 20 dorky photos, and of course ALL the drinks!

We don't have any future Princess cruises booked, but I don't think I would hesitate now to book another one on a Royal or Sphere class ship if the price and itinerary were right. For now, it's back to MSC for our next two sailings and Celebrity for the one after that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

The crew were fantastic and it was impossible to only give commendations to five of them in the post-cruise survey.

I use a workaround to be able to list everyone who I think needs a commendation:  I will click the dining room section (or bar, or steward), then list all the names, their titles/jobs, and sometimes their home countries if there is more than one person with the same name.  So it ends up being like:  James-head waiter MDR, Bob, asst waiter MDR, Joe, server MDR,  Mike, server buffet....etc.  That way I can list everyone including my daily breakfast room service person.

• Like 1

Questions:  If Crown Grill and O' Malley's are both  non-complimentary and entertainment venues. Is there any problem, outside of finding seats, in going for the music without eating? Is O'Malley's always full at showtime? 

Are production shows always full and do you reserve them?  

Is there much beer on tap at multiple bars or is it mainly bottles?  Any Guinness draft in O'Malley's? 

35 minutes ago, Maplemoose said:

Questions:  If Crown Grill and O' Malley's are both  non-complimentary and entertainment venues. Is there any problem, outside of finding seats, in going for the music without eating? Is O'Malley's always full at showtime? 

Are production shows always full and do you reserve them?  

Is there much beer on tap at multiple bars or is it mainly bottles?  Any Guinness draft in O'Malley's? 

Guinness was not on draft at O'Malley's, but there were a couple of beers on draft. At O'Malley's it is usually VERY packed when the live music is happening, but you do not need to eat there to listen to the music. Cron Grill Bar is a separate venue from the Crown Grill Restaurant. I am sure you can find videos online, but the bar/lounge area is outside of the restaurant. You would definitely be able to hear any music playing in the lounge while dining there, though.

The theater shows did tend to fill up. There is no reservation process, you just need to get there early to find a seat. If you have Princess Premier, there is a reserved section that they open up about 5 minutes before the show to everyone.

Sounds like a very chaotic ending to the cruise - what a shame! 

On our last cruise I was in a boot and using a knee scooter. I was pleasantly surprised at how kind and thoughtful fellow passengers were. Too bad the elevators brought out the worst in people for yours. Glad you didn't run into that guy again!

Thank you for a very enjoyable read! I HATE “elevator hogs.” I don’t understand how you can justify barging in front of people. Almost wish they’d put a ticket machine like at a deli

or bakery during peak times. You can enter the elevator when you’re the next #! A question: I am a solo cruiser now that my husband passed.  9 times out of 10 I stay on the ship all week as I’ve been to most islands and hesitate to go on my own. I actually enjoy just sitting and people watching! Where are the good areas to sit with my drink and watch the world go by!? 

56 minutes ago, Crusin Karen said:

Thank you for a very enjoyable read! I HATE “elevator hogs.” I don’t understand how you can justify barging in front of people. Almost wish they’d put a ticket machine like at a deli

or bakery during peak times. You can enter the elevator when you’re the next #! A question: I am a solo cruiser now that my husband passed.  9 times out of 10 I stay on the ship all week as I’ve been to most islands and hesitate to go on my own. I actually enjoy just sitting and people watching! Where are the good areas to sit with my drink and watch the world go by!? 

Crown Grill Bar, when it's open, makes for great people-watching because anyone needing to travel from the aft elevators needs to walk through there to get to any of the public, interior areas of the ship.... There is no way to get from the aft of the ship to midship on decks 5 or 6 because of the placement of the MDRs. Otherwise, you can get a drink from Good Spirits and sit anywhere in the Piazza area on Deck 5 to people-watch everyone in and around the piazza. I am sure there are good people-watching spots on deck around the main pool as well, but I didn't spend any time on deck during the daytime.

• Thanks 1

My favorite people-watching on the Enchanted was in the Crown Grill Bar on formal nights. I really love the huge variety of clothing... from tuxes and ballgowns to tank tops and gym shorts.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for doing this, you do an awesome job.  I travel solo, love people watching!  Cruise wear is always interesting and I get both sides of the story!  Times have changed, people!

I'm cruising mid-Oct. for 1st cruise since Covid, 2019, I'm more than ready.  On the Emerald, not Royal class but I like those ships, too!  Emerald is a fav of mine.  I don't repeat ships much but she is an exception!

Reading yours and other "live" threads, cruising seems to be doing fine.  There seems to be more than enough dining options, medallion working, plus/premier, like it or you don't!  I'm already glad I chose Plus, I drink specialty coffees, ice tea, wine (more than 1 or 2), water, margaritas, why wouldn't I get it???

Enjoy your MSC cruise, haven't sailed with them.  Do you do live posts with them, too?  

28 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

Thanks for doing this, you do an awesome job.  I travel solo, love people watching!  Cruise wear is always interesting and I get both sides of the story!  Times have changed, people!

I'm cruising mid-Oct. for 1st cruise since Covid, 2019, I'm more than ready.  On the Emerald, not Royal class but I like those ships, too!  Emerald is a fav of mine.  I don't repeat ships much but she is an exception!

Reading yours and other "live" threads, cruising seems to be doing fine.  There seems to be more than enough dining options, medallion working, plus/premier, like it or you don't!  I'm already glad I chose Plus, I drink specialty coffees, ice tea, wine (more than 1 or 2), water, margaritas, why wouldn't I get it???

Enjoy your MSC cruise, haven't sailed with them.  Do you do live posts with them, too?  

I am not usually offended by any dress on a cruise, with the two big exceptions being bare feet indoors on carpet and swimwear in any dining venue other than the buffet. I saw both of those on my Enchanted sailing... more than one person walking around barefoot in the interior public spaces or at indoor bars and multiple people wearing swimwear to meals at O'Malley's. I am a VERY casual dresser, but you have to draw the line somewhere!

I do liveblog my MSC sailings.  The links to all my past reviews and liveblogs are in my signature and I will try to remember to come back here and post a link to my liveblog for my Halloween cruise once I start it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JamieLogical said:

I am not usually offended by any dress on a cruise, with the two big exceptions being bare feet indoors on carpet and swimwear in any dining venue other than the buffet. I saw both of those on my Enchanted sailing... more than one person walking around barefoot in the interior public spaces or at indoor bars and multiple people wearing swimwear to meals at O'Malley's. I am a VERY casual dresser, but you have to draw the line somewhere!

I do liveblog my MSC sailings.  The links to all my past reviews and liveblogs are in my signature and I will try to remember to come back here and post a link to my liveblog for my Halloween cruise once I start it.

I agree and I usually don't care how people are dressed.  What has really bothered us lately is the bare feet, not only on the carpet, but on the furniture in public areas and on the back of the seat in front of them in the theatre (see attached photo).

IMG_5111.jpeg

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TAW1963 said:

I agree and I usually don't care how people are dressed.  What has really bothered us lately is the bare feet, not only on the carpet, but on the furniture in public areas and on the back of the seat in front of them in the theatre (see attached photo).

IMG_5111.jpeg

Feet up on the furniture, bare or not, is NOT okay!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JamieLogical said:

Feet up on the furniture, bare or not, is NOT okay!

But that's how they live at home. 🦶🦶 You can't expect them to be much different on vacation. 

6 hours ago, cruisinsince75 said:

We constantly have to tell our granddaughter not to put her feet on the sofa, but she is NINE!!! 😀

I put my feet up on my sofa or my coffee table all day long at my own house, but in a public place it is clearly NOT okay!

• Like 1

BATHING SUITS? In O’Maleys? No no no no. 😵‍💫🙄😣🥹 I remember being on island princess in 2005. DH wore nice khaki shorts, a nice button down shirt and topsiders to MDR. We were turned away-told DH he had to wear long pants. No problem. He changed and we were seated. 

1 hour ago, Crusin Karen said:

BATHING SUITS? In O’Maleys? No no no no. 😵‍💫🙄😣🥹 I remember being on island princess in 2005. DH wore nice khaki shorts, a nice button down shirt and topsiders to MDR. We were turned away-told DH he had to wear long pants. No problem. He changed and we were seated. 

Twice I saw women in swimsuits with mesh cover-ups in O'Malley's at mealtime. Multiple different women on two separate occasions.