Transfers to and from Sydney Airport

We will be in Sydney in December 2024 for a Princess Cruise Tour.  Looking to get suggestions on most economical way to get from the Sydney International Airport to the Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney on December 13.  We don't mind doing a shared shuttle as we are not on a timeline the day we arrive.  I've heard about Redy2Go shuttle services.  Has anyone used them, and are they reliable?

Also looking for the best way to get from the Cruise Terminal when we arrive back at port on January 4.  The ship is supposed to dock at 6 a.m. but I don't know when they will let passengers off.  Our international flight leaves at 11:50 a.m. so instead of using the Princess transfer, we were thinking it might be safer to get a private transfer to airport.  Does anyone know how long it takes to get from Cruise Terminal to Sydney International Airport?   It's going to be on a Saturday.  It also appears that Redy2Go has private transfers as well.  And we would look to be using our credit card.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

1 hour ago, gators70 said:

We will be in Sydney in December 2024 for a Princess Cruise Tour.  Looking to get suggestions on most economical way to get from the Sydney International Airport to the Amora Hotel Jamison Sydney on December 13.  We don't mind doing a shared shuttle as we are not on a timeline the day we arrive.  I've heard about Redy2Go shuttle services.  Has anyone used them, and are they reliable?

Also looking for the best way to get from the Cruise Terminal when we arrive back at port on January 4.  The ship is supposed to dock at 6 a.m. but I don't know when they will let passengers off.  Our international flight leaves at 11:50 a.m. so instead of using the Princess transfer, we were thinking it might be safer to get a private transfer to airport.  Does anyone know how long it takes to get from Cruise Terminal to Sydney International Airport?   It's going to be on a Saturday.  It also appears that Redy2Go has private transfers as well.  And we would look to be using our credit card.  Any feedback would be appreciated.

How many people?

Shuttles don’t have a good reputation in Sydney,I would just get a taxi or Uber. It will cost around $50-$70 .

If you’re adventurous the train has a station under the airport and has a direct service to Wynyard station. But you will be tired.

Down load the app. https://transportnsw.info/apps/opal-travel

• Thanks 1

The train would be one option. Your hotel is close to Wynyard Station and the OPT is right by Circular Quay Station. However there is a hefty surcharge as the airport stations are privately owned. 

Have you considered Uber?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

The cheapest and easiest options are not the same, the train is likely cheapest.

Uber or a cab would be easiest as it is door to door.

When I priced it out, Uber was actually cheaper than the train for 2 people. 
YMMV

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

When I priced it out, Uber was actually cheaper than the train for 2 people. 
YMMV

It really depends on t he day and the time of day. Also finding the Uber pickup point can be a hassle.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's going to be tight connecting to an international flight. You need to allow at least 2.5 hours to check in. It's about 30 mins to the airport. You will want to be first off the ship, and pray arrival is not delayed. You don't have time to walk to the Circular Quay train. Take a taxi.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I recommend going by taxi (or maybe Uber) on both occasions. I have not found booked shuttles to be reliable. We have waited a long time for them, but having pre-paid we felt we were stuck. The other problem with taking a shuttle from the airport, is that it goes to several hotels etc dropping people off. We were going to the cruise terminal and were the last to be dropped off. The trip took probably twice as long as it would have in a taxi. Never again.

Edited by Aus Traveller
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

How many people?

Shuttles don’t have a good reputation in Sydney,I would just get a taxi or Uber. It will cost around $50-$70 .

If you’re adventurous the train has a station under the airport and has a direct service to Wynyard station. But you will be tired.

Down load the app. https://transportnsw.info/apps/opal-travel

Good to know.  Thanks so much for the feedback.  I'm now leaning towards just grabbing a taxi at the airport or ordering an uber when we get our bags. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sparky74 said:

The train would be one option. Your hotel is close to Wynyard Station and the OPT is right by Circular Quay Station. However there is a hefty surcharge as the airport stations are privately owned. 

Have you considered Uber?

What is the OPT (Oversees passenger terminal)?  Yes I am now considering Uber as a form of transportation.  You mention hefty surcharges.  I guess that is leaving the airport and also going to the airport for Uber drivers?  In that case, is it better to take a taxi, or do they also pay a surcharge.  The system probably has to whether you use a taxi or an uber.  I'm guessing the taxi drivers use contactless form of payment as well in Sydney?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, JJK2008 said:

We used Uber. Super easy, no hassles. 

Do you recall about how much the transfer was?  Just trying to work out our budget.  Was it from the airport to hotel or from the cruise terminal to airport?

12 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It really depends on t he day and the time of day. Also finding the Uber pickup point can be a hassle.

We will be needing transportation to our hotel on a Saturday morning.  Not sure how long it will take to get through customs in Australia.  Hopefully not long.  But our flight gets in around 9 a.m. so I guessing by 10 a.m. or 11 a.m.  Is there a "sweet spot so to speak" or a time that we should wait until so that we are not charged an excess fee for a busy time of the day on Saturday morning?

You mention the Uber pickup point can be a hassle.  Is this at the airport or the cruise terminal, or both.  Can you elaborate on this please.  I do tend to like Uber as you know who you've got and how much ahead of time. 

Are taxis in Sydney on a flat rate schedule, or do you know how that works going from and to the airport?

Thanks in advance everyone for your advice on this topic.  This is great information. 

12 hours ago, cruiser3775 said:

It's going to be tight connecting to an international flight. You need to allow at least 2.5 hours to check in. It's about 30 mins to the airport. You will want to be first off the ship, and pray arrival is not delayed. You don't have time to walk to the Circular Quay train. Take a taxi.

Thank you so much.  I think you are right about just grabbing a taxi that is already there.  Do you know if the taxis are allowed in the cruise terminal area when ships are arriving, or do you have to go outside the area to get a taxi?  And I'm assuming the taxi's would take credit cards?

12 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I recommend going by taxi (or maybe Uber) on both occasions. I have not found booked shuttles to be reliable. We have waited a long time for them, but having pre-paid we felt we were stuck. The other problem with taking a shuttle from the airport, is that it goes to several hotels etc dropping people off. We were going to the cruise terminal and were the last to be dropped off. The trip took probably twice as long as it would have in a taxi. Never again.

Good advice.  I'm rethinking all of our transportation needs after this wonderful response on this forum.  Thanks again.  

1 hour ago, gators70 said:

Do you recall about how much the transfer was?  Just trying to work out our budget.  Was it from the airport to hotel or from the cruise terminal to airport?

I don't recall the price, sorry. We used it from the airport to the hotel on arrival and then again when we finished our cruise to the airport. We had no issue, worked fine for us. Keep in mind that the charge is in AUD and NOT USD. The exchange rate is pretty favorable for Americans still today.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think when I looked recently it was about $22/person for the train from the airport to Circular Quay. An Uber from the Domestic Airport to Rendezvous Hotel (near the Overseas Passenger Terminal) looked to be about $40. All prices are Australian Dollars. YMMV

In my experience taxi drivers do accept tap n go. With Uber I’ve always paid via the app. 

Back in 2022 we took an Uber from the OPT to the Domestic Airport when we disembarked from our transPacific cruise. There was an Uber pickup area right outside the terminal building with plenty of drivers waiting. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, gators70 said:

We will be needing transportation to our hotel on a Saturday morning.  Not sure how long it will take to get through customs in Australia.  Hopefully not long.  But our flight gets in around 9 a.m. so I guessing by 10 a.m. or 11 a.m.  Is there a "sweet spot so to speak" or a time that we should wait until so that we are not charged an excess fee for a busy time of the day on Saturday morning?

You mention the Uber pickup point can be a hassle.  Is this at the airport or the cruise terminal, or both.  Can you elaborate on this please.  I do tend to like Uber as you know who you've got and how much ahead of time. 

Are taxis in Sydney on a flat rate schedule, or do you know how that works going from and to the airport?

Thanks in advance everyone for your advice on this topic.  This is great information. 

Arrival - Immigration may take anywhere to 5mins to an hour depending on how many other planes have come in and how many non Australians have been on them. Customs can be similar holdups due to many planes, just declare eveything on the form honestly and you should be fine.

Being a Saturday, you would have missed the early morning sweet spot but it should still be relatively  quick run. The Uber point has moved a few times, just ensure you go where the app tells you and you will be fine.

Taxis do not have a flat rate, so more traffic means higher price. Uber will give you the cost up front.

Departure - Uber and taxis are taken from just in front of the cruise terminal, Saturday morning should ensure a quick run without too much traffic (1/2 hour). If you can walk off yourself with your luggage, and ensure you are off by 7.30-8.30am, that will ensure enough time for the airport checkin. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taxi charges are calculated by the meter in the cab. Don't be worried about 'hefty' charges for taxis and Uber cars. It is AUD$5.45 (around US$3.60) for the vehicle (not per person).

I recommend that you get a taxi. There are always plenty of them at the airport and you won't have to wait as you would if you ordered an Uber or booked a shuttle bus.

• Like 1

Thank you so much.  I think you are right about just grabbing a taxi that is already there.  Do you know if the taxis are allowed in the cruise terminal area when ships are arriving, or do you have to go outside the area to get a taxi?  And I'm assuming the taxi's would take credit cards?

Taxis take credit cards, but in Australia some traders won't accept American Express because they have to pay a much higher fee than with Visa or Mastercard.

At the cruise terminal taxis can drop you very close to the door and for pick-ups, they are immediately outside. They are even closer than where the buses have to wait.

• Thanks 1

I personally think you may be pushing it to make a 11:50a.m international flight - everything has to go to plan for that to be possible, so make sure you have a plan B - just in case the cruise is hours late arriving back into Sydney or something

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

I personally think you may be pushing it to make a 11:50a.m international flight - everything has to go to plan for that to be possible, so make sure you have a plan B - just in case the cruise is hours late arriving back into Sydney or something

Thanks for the heads up.

12 minutes ago, gators70 said:

Thanks for the heads up.

We're on a cruise that docks in Sydney 26 December and our preferred flight was 11:45am.... and there is a 90% chance we could make that flight, but for piece of mind we chose a later flight

We used Redy 2 go in 2018 to get from Sydney Airport to the hotel and they were fine for us, but yes they do have pretty bad reviews online.

As others have said the Train would be fine and we plan to take the train in December when we arrive in Sydney for our cruise

I've heard the Princess Transfer leaves at 0800 or 0830 and if that's the case then you should be at the airport by 0900 and be in plenty of time to make the flight - providing there are no issues with the ship docking

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/3/2024 at 3:44 AM, gators70 said:

I loathe Redy2Go!  Unreliable, especially at night.  My son and I stayed at the Amora Jamison Street pre cruise.  Loved  it!  Walked to the ship the next morning, dropped bags early and spent the day exploring.  Just use Uber.  Almost as cheap for two people anyway.

• Thanks 2