Detailed (& long) review of Celebrity Millennium 12 Night Best of Japan 14-26th July

1 hour ago, villauk said:

Thank you for this as we intend to visit Miyajima 👍.

Visit Miyajima and Hiroshima Peace Garden is doable DIY. The hi speed ferry from Miyajima to Hiroshima Peace Park run is subject to tide level.  All Hiroshima tram stations have network map and timetable posted, so I don't need to use google map.

• Thanks 1

Luna - your dresses are all so lovely I especially like the black and white one.  Really enjoying your review.  We were supposed to do this cruise in  May, 2020 ( we all know how that turned out).  Booked again for May, 2021 but Japan still wouldn’t let foreigners in and finally gave up.

Whew! I was exhausted just reading you day in Kyoto!  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Lunastella said:

Day 6: Hiroshima

As we were not arriving in Hiroshima until 1pm we had a semi-sea day. I had a lie-in until 7.30am (yippee), and then I went to the gym for a warm up run and a workout. DS came with me for the first time, but all the treadmills were in use so she made a u-turn back to the cabin. At least she tried!

Back to the cabin via Spa Café to pick up a coffee to go. DS and DM wanted to go to the Oceanview Café for breakfast, so not wanting to break up the team again (and also secretly desiring some proper pastries not ‘heathy’ muffins), I went too. Lol and behold, what did I find….Bircher muesli….how did I miss this before!

It was very good, better than the one in the hotel in Tokyo which was very sweet (the ship’s one seems unsweetened, or at least not as sweetened as the one in Tokyo). I added fruits and seeds, and I was good to go. Oceanview was actually pretty quiet today. I guess people are taking advantage of the semi-sea day. I also had a boiled egg and some pastries (not shown, as you know what an egg looks like).

Can’t believe I am back in Oceanview

IMG_5345.thumb.jpg.824eaad16eed1cb2aca74e4d8078a90e.jpg

I spent most of the morning in the solarium enjoying the scenic cruising. I had no idea there would be scenic cruising on this trip so this was a very welcome surprise. Lying on a comfy lounger and watching these views float activated peak holiday mode. At some point I went out on deck to take some photos. Oh, and I went in the pool and the hot tub for the first time!

Did not expect this!!

IMG_5358.thumb.jpg.41a35aa86e467243e6ffe93595247140.jpg

IMG_5352.thumb.jpg.096da4aea6e672a0df7cdb40cdd44816.jpg

IMG_5355.thumb.jpg.199b0adf4028d9081ff20963e130eace.jpg

[SIDENOTE, the pool attendants were actually removing people’s stuff from the loungers (who were gone for ages), and asking teenagers in the hot tub how old they were. They didn’t ask me. I am mildly insulted.]

We decided to go to the MDR for lunch (it being a semi sea-day and all). I had salad, a panini, and chocolate mousse, just your everyday light lunch you know.

Panini…ok ok and fries

IMG_0611.thumb.JPG.3c624714333b57392a5bac8760ab844b.JPG

Chocolate mousse (very good!!!)

IMG_0612.thumb.JPG.c3e73d55f4e646080e9638741913cb07.JPG

As we had to do immigration at this port, everyone had to be off the ship by 2.30pm. But I assumed we could leave the ship at any point up to 2.30, but as soon as the ship docked just after 1.00, they started announcing that all passengers had to depart from deck 3. They kept announcing it, which led to much frantic eating in an attempt to finish lunch and get off the ship ASAP. It was not a very relaxing lunch!

Also, I had assumed we would do immigration in the terminal on the way out, but again, I was wrong (again), we did it on our way back in later in the afternoon. The information sheet was really not very clear, or maybe its just me.

Anway, once off the ship we took a shuttle bus from the pier to the train/tram station which took about 10 mins. Note to future self, take a note of the name of the train/tram station, this omission would prove almost fatal later in the day. Once at the station we were directed to a tram which went all the way to the Peace Park/Atomic Bomb Dome. But it’s a long way, took maybe 45-50 minutes.

I had worked out a whole self-guided walking tour for us which involved the Shukkeien gardens, Hiroshima castle, Gokoku shrine, Hiroshima Museum of Art, Atomic Bomb Dome, Peace Park, and Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum. We ended up doing the latter three. The heat and humidity finally got the better of DM. But in fairness, we did the most important ones. I won’t go into too much detail except to say that the exhibition rooms in the museum were really crowded and very loud, but as we moved through the exhibition, you could sense the mood change, and by the end, there was silence.

Atomic Bomb Dome

IMG_5361.thumb.jpg.59387755db036b465c6d004d9b6b24cb.jpg

Peace Park & Memorial Museum

IMG_5364.thumb.jpg.bd556e5959fdd9f04e63e51a0304e3f1.jpg

IMG_5368.thumb.jpg.a1535a2c62d1f0b2f01c0eb7e68215c6.jpg

IMG_5367.thumb.jpg.a19668299c15ff487c3f8161cd561b68.jpg

When we left the museum it started to rain, thank the rain gods, it brought much relief. To shelter, we went into a tourist shop called Rest House where I brought a t-shirt for my husband whose main benefit from all my travels is a very eclectic collection of t-shirts.

We headed back to the tram stop and that’s where the confusion started. We had assumed we would just jump on a tram on the opposite side back to the shuttle bus drop off point, maybe not! There were multiple trams….no problem, Google maps to the rescue, maybe not! Obviously in Google maps you need to enter the end point destination, but ,did we know the name of train/tram station where the shuttle bus left us off ??? No we did not. We tried ‘hiroshima port’ but that gave us all sorts of crazy routes. Maybe there is more than one port….is this the right port? I think we got too lassiez-faire in our ability to travel around Japan!

Think DS, think DS, what was the name of the station! No idea, me neither. However, brainwave, I remembered that I had copy and pasted all the information which another cruise critic member had kindly posted to the forum (@DaKuhna I think, thank you), which included information about each port. So I managed to find the Hiroshima file in my Dropbox, and found the elusive ‘Itsukaichi station’ listed as the pick up/drop off point for the shuttle buses. Great, lets go! We have a name! I Googled mapped Itsukaichi station, here we go, all will be clear!!! However, it was not clear. It was telling us to take a bus to Itsukaichi station, maybe I am losing my mind in this heat, but I was pretty sure we arrived by tram. This is very confusing.

Eventually we found a route which involved a tram. But we were not in the clear yet. We got on what we thought was the correct tram, but it terminated at Hiroshima train station. More Google mapping ensued, with DM getting increasingly …lets say stressed….that her daughters had no idea how to get back to the ship. We tried to maintain a cool, calm exterior, but we looking at each other with terror in our eyes. This has never happened to us before!

Anway, Google maps told us to take a train, so take a train we did. I didn’t recognise anywhere along the route, there were no other fellow cruisers on the train, only locals going home from work. I was getting increasingly anxious….maybe the shuttle bus went from Itsukaichi station back in April or May, but who knows if it’s the same place this time round!!! I was wondering how one could go about contacting Celebrity to ask them the location of the shuttle bus. DS was wondered if she could use her air tag to get the exact location of the ship….we were getting desperate, but we held out hope.

Even when we got off the train, we were not 100% convinced we were in the right place. To make matters worse when I tried to use my Suica card to leave the station, it wouldn’t work, cue the Japanese station master talking animatedly at me, I had no idea what he was saying…but eventually I figured out that I didn’t have enough money left on my card for the journey. DS and DM had already gone through so I was trying to call them back as they had all the cash! More confusion, but eventually we were able to pay in cash. Today, is not working out at all!

Then suddenly, we turned a corner, literally and figurately, and sighs of relief all around, no, it was not a shuttle bus, but it was a sign for the shuttle bus- we made it! Thank you CC, you saved us. Ok maybe I am being a bit dramatic, we probably could have taken a taxi….in retrospect, why didn’t we take a taxi….oh yes, that would be too easy.

Permanent record…the name of the train/tram stop!!!!

IMG_5370.thumb.jpg.6bce2c2d4986f385bb5abf1fb64086be.jpg

We had to wait a while for the shuttle, but after 10-15 minutes we were on the bus and almost home and dry….well apart from immigration, which didn’t take long at all, and then we were home and dry.

One for the economists

IMG_5371.thumb.jpg.217825f930804b844345791eb2afff2e.jpg

A quick turnaround was needed as DS wanted to go to the Sky Lounge to catch the sunset and have a cocktail before dinner after all that stress.

And catch the sunset we did, it was beautiful. The negronis were ok, not as good as the ones from the Martini bar or Celler Masters, tough life.

A sunset!!!

IMG_5372.thumb.jpg.7e7afa8c131c91caa56627de085ce198.jpg

Me and the sunset!!!

IMG_5374.thumb.jpg.d6f25f06badbc604c2b7c099d8c3ad19.jpg

Me responding to DS telling me to look more interesting!!!

IMG_5379.thumb.jpg.7fbf6983ce550716cf141445899f2ec6.jpg

Dinner tonight was to be in Tuscan Grille, our first speciality restaurant of the cruise. Very excited!

It was excellent, but we definitely ordered too much. DS and I got the antipasti board and the carpaccio of beef to share.

Carpaccio

IMG_5386.thumb.jpg.764c1acfae05f7e093b43e32a086ef21.jpg

Antipasti

IMG_5387.thumb.jpg.0d6705a0c50972ae41202f1ee3758518.jpg

Best bread!

IMG_5385.thumb.jpg.9a512df2f16b20e64d9b9d3a81cfc499.jpg

Next, I had a half portion of the lobster rigatoni and the fillet steak, with broccoli and fries. The pasta dish was served at the same time as the steak, which was not ideal, I would have preferred to have the pasta first and then the steak. But in retrospect, this was a good idea as had I eaten all the pasta first, there was no-way I could have eaten any of the steak.

Lobster pasta

IMG_5389.thumb.jpg.598772aef384a921cce537c27da5d106.jpg

Steak

IMG_5388.thumb.jpg.fe2942c32fe138f5afa01998a42e2ffe.jpg

The steak was the beautiful,  so tender and flavoursome – it was up there with one of the best I have ever had, and I have eaten in some very good steak restaurants. However, I couldn’t finish it. DM and I should have ordered one to share, note to future self. That said, I still managed to eat my tiramisu!

Dessert

IMG_5390.thumb.jpg.986bfe4a5497cb4ba25f35d57e604785.jpg 

Our bottle of malbec made its way to Tuscan Grille without any problems. It did not last the whole meal, so another bottle of chianti was attained. But will it make its way back to MDR tomorrow???

DS looking very happy to finally make it to TG

IMG_5384.thumb.jpg.1d2535e81c37cd8ef1fbb1dadffa88e8.jpg

After dinner we collapsed…lucky it’s a sea day tomorrow!

Hiroshima.... the cruise into this region is breathtaking and very unexpected. Quite thought provoking knowing the tragic history of the region.

The midday arrival and short stopover were not the best so we selected a ship tour of Miyajima island and were pleased we did as we would have been rushed and possibly stressed doing the trip ourselves. We will definitely spend a few nights on Miyajima if we return to do a land tour of Japan as it was everything quintessentially Japan all in one small area. 

The website What's in Port helped me to decide whether we would explore alone, possibly use a ship shuttle bus or book a ship tour. Go With Guide was also a good resource to look for tour ideas and possibly book a qualified guide. 

Customs and immigration was annoying but mandatory....our stop after JeJu Island was Kagoshima and was advertised as a 9-5 stop but by the time we went through all the rigmarole and got a shuttle into the city it was 1130 so we really only had four hours in town...shame.

I'm loving reliving our trip through your posts... can't wait to be on my next Celebrity ship.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Shiba_Lover said:

They do list the port agent in the celebrity today and it is on the app.  On the app - if you click the "its a port day" - it will show up there.

Good tip! Thanks

16 hours ago, vickykay said:

Luna - your dresses are all so lovely I especially like the black and white one.  Really enjoying your review.  We were supposed to do this cruise in  May, 2020 ( we all know how that turned out).  Booked again for May, 2021 but Japan still wouldn’t let foreigners in and finally gave up.

Whew! I was exhausted just reading you day in Kyoto!  

Thank you! I think I got that one in the US years ago! I hope you make the Japan cruise at some point!

13 hours ago, Aussiepam1327 said:
20 hours ago, Lunastella said:

Hiroshima.... the cruise into this region is breathtaking and very unexpected. Quite thought provoking knowing the tragic history of the region.

Thank you for this tip we will definitely be on deck for sail in. We arrive at 9 am and depart at 6 pm, we are planning on doing Miyajima Island 1st and then Hiroshima all DIY.

• Like 1

Day 7: Sea day

I slept very well after all that food in Tuscan Grille….ok…and the wine. I woke about 7am (without an alarm!) and headed straight to the gym. I had only intended on doing a short warm up run before my main workout, but I ended up running 5km as it felt good this morning. Then I did my own ‘made up’ workout as my fitness app wasn’t working out at sea, far far away from land.

Usually when I get back to the cabin after the gym, DS and DM are up and ready to go, but this morning they were both still in bed. Indeed, DM didn’t even know I had left the cabin!  Definitely taking advantage of the sea day! I had a quick shower and I was ready for breakfast….can’t believe I am actually able to eat again after that meal last night!

I went to Oceanview with DM…I know, I know, who am I? But since discovering the Bircher muesli, I am more partial to it now. I had the usual muesli with fruit, but also a bagel with cream cheese. I needed the protein as I have a busy day of relaxing planned!

More Bircher muesli

IMG_5391.thumb.jpg.d9884e857ffd9130d88d96af34c6dae1.jpg

And indeed it turned into a very relaxing day, so I don’t have too much to report. I read, did some crosswords (DM getting very competitive about them), watched a downloaded episode of American Sweethearts (about the DCC cheerleaders), and wrote about our day in Hiroshima. I also got in the solarium pool but it was way to warm. I feel the solarium would benefit from some cold water therapy, like a plunge pool, or even a cold shower would do. It is very hot in here today.

For lunch we went to the MDR, not necessarily because were hungry, but because it’s a sea day and that’s just what we do on sea days. DS and I treated ourselves to a lunch time beverage (which we used to do in the good old days of a drinks package, but alas, not on this vacation). We had a Campari spritz (me) and Aperol spritz (DS) - they were particularly good ones, wonder where they come from….

IMG_5393.thumb.jpg.2a9cbb56d953a45824c078e3c454e423.jpg

For lunch, I had a salad, and DS and I shared another salad and a noodle dish. Dessert was a brownie and ice cream.

Salad

IMG_5394.thumb.jpg.9d6131cc2caaddf738fac93eaa0d3ba5.jpg

Noodles and prawns

IMG_5395.thumb.jpg.b683860430519815630a4842eba4617c.jpg

Brownie

IMG_5396.thumb.jpg.ec85e4e53ad5a4c716f3e7804e73b2c9.jpg

Then I went back to the solarium for more reading, podcast listening, and falling asleep.

It being a sea day and all, I went back to the gym at about 5.30pm to get more steps in. I did another 5km slow run. Then back to cabin to get ready for another formal night (or elegant chic night or whatever it is called night). It was still really bright at 6.45pm, I guess we are much further south now, hence a later sunset. Taking advantage of the daylight, we went up to deck 11 where we attempted to get some outdoor deck outfit posts, but it was so windy, it was ridiculous.  No photos incoming from that shoot.

There was a show on in the theatre, so we executed our now well-worked out plan - go to show, leave a bit early to get buzzer, rendezvous in the Rendezvous Lounge, then be buzzed for dinner. I have zero recollection of what the show was about, sorry, must be holiday fog brain setting in. But from the photos it involved some singing, some dancing and some acrobats (who are an amazing  husband and wife duo).

Dancers

IMG_5427.thumb.jpg.5806441f453285df758e6c314ecbec74.jpg

Acrobats

IMG_5429.thumb.jpg.4aad3d8808a5b6591ac9464dc5c87b90.jpg

I ordered a glass of white wine in the Rendezvous Lounge while waiting to be buzzed, but we were buzzed so quickly our wine hadn’t even been delivered yet…best buzzer time yet! 

Hardly had time for a non-outdoor non-sunset outfit post

IMG_5435.thumb.jpg.5bab53adad9a7c51459755c491cf5e04.jpg

Note to self, don’t go to MDR for lunch, and then expect to be hungry for dinner, will I ever learn! Although I did manage to eat (in the name of research and all). I tried to go lightly, and so avoided the chateaubriand with regret. I started with the mushroom vol au vont (how retro!), the roasted vegetable tart, and the pineapple upside down cake (adding to my dessert fruit repertoire). The mushroom and the cake were good but the tart was not what I expected, more a quiche with filo pastry – plus I had to send out a search party for the vegetables hidden in there. Typical, the one day I did not order extra vegetables!

Vol au Vont

IMG_5436.thumb.jpg.ccabe594492a91c5ca856eee4230e4f3.jpg

Vegetable tart

IMG_5437.thumb.jpg.3c20e7d41bedd764e5a6757128eefe0b.jpg

Upside down cake

IMG_5439.thumb.jpg.3382d0e84d476dc6112d287b5db2a423.jpg

For the last few days we have been seated in the same area for dinner, so it’s nice to get to know our waiters, plus we got a window seat!!! Also, our Chianti successful made the trip from Tuscan Grille to the MDR. Success! DS ordered a cheeseboard to share, which went very well with the Chianti.

During dinner, DS spotted a lovely full moon, so after dinner we went out on deck to enjoy the view.

View

IMG_5440.thumb.jpg.1a9b28e397efc8bc0dfc229a55144c89.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Provence55always said:

we are planning on doing Miyajima Island 1st

We were there at low tide so you could walk out to the tori gate. 

IMG_1849.thumb.JPG.d8e5de30fbf0cba02dc654d1a404aedd.JPG

The deer are very friendly.  Watch your food they will try and steal it. 

IMG_1852.thumb.JPG.4b85e0c9148c7bff376e6461f991c8c3.JPG

• Like 4

Just read all 8 pages of your trip report, so informative and entertaining!  Love the humor.  We are going in April 2026, so hopefully no sweltering temperatures for us.  We actually have an overnight in Osaka, so our first day I plan on going to Nara Park, back to Kyoto in the afternoon and evening,  I've been reading a lot about the transportation and watching You tube vlogs, but I think taxis will definitely be utilized!

6 minutes ago, Provence55always said:

Beautiful photo, I wonder does low tide effect the hi speed Ferry…..I will have to keep an eye on that!

The hi speed ferry suspend service during high and low tide. The fare is 2200/pp, 48 min travel time. Plan B is ferry back to the mainland and ride the train (not tram) and taxi/tram to peace park.

3 minutes ago, monkey@cruise said:

The hi speed ferry suspend service during high and low tide. The fare is 2200/pp, 48 min travel time. Plan B is ferry back to the mainland and ride the train (not tram) and taxi/tram to peace park.

Thank you. Is it better to do the Peace Park 1st? Or does it matter.

4 hours ago, Provence55always said:

Thank you. Is it better to do the Peace Park 1st? Or does it matter.

My August Japan cruise will visit Hiroshima on 5th September, Will post the how-to details when return home in late September. Your port time is 9am-6pm and Japan exit immigration when reboard the ship to South Korea, so you plan to have lunch in Hiroshima city or in Miyajima?

8 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

We were there at low tide so you could walk out to the tori gate. 

I also checked and if I recall correctly, the hightide for Miyajima last month was around midnight or 1 am, so definitely out of the question.  For souvenir, I took a picture of the torii gate at high tide from a poster haung in the cabin of the high speed ferry.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

My August Japan cruise will visit Hiroshima on 5th September, Will post the how-to details when return home in late September. Your port time is 9am-6pm and Japan exit immigration when reboard the ship to South Korea, so you plan to have lunch in Hiroshima city or in Miyajima?

That would be great….no decision yet re lunch maybe you will have some recommendations after your return.

5 hours ago, monkey@cruise said:

If you stay in Japan's Hawaii - Okinawa.

We bought a big spray called Skin Vape (Google for a picture of it) in a Japanese chemist type store (an amazing experience just shopping in this store)..we brought it home having not needing to use it while on holiday but it's really good. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Provence55always said:

That would be great….no decision yet re lunch maybe you will have some recommendations after your return.

We are on the same cruise. 😁

22 hours ago, jabrown40 said:

Just read all 8 pages of your trip report, so informative and entertaining!  Love the humor.  We are going in April 2026, so hopefully no sweltering temperatures for us.  We actually have an overnight in Osaka, so our first day I plan on going to Nara Park, back to Kyoto in the afternoon and evening,  I've been reading a lot about the transportation and watching You tube vlogs, but I think taxis will definitely be utilized!

Thank you! It is very long....and more to come....

The weather should be perfect in April!

20 hours ago, villauk said:

@Lunastella do we need to take bug repellent? Packing now so thought I’d  double check 😉.

DM got 2 bites while in the Bamboo forest in Kyoto, but DS and I escaped. I did bring some with me, but never used it. 

• Thanks 1