Some random questions about the Enchanted Princess…

MsK64

A friend and I are booked on the Enchanted, sailing from Brooklyn at the end of August. It’s been at least two decades since my last cruise with Princess, having done cruises with NCL and RCL in the interim, so I have a few questions about what Princess is like now and I’m pretty confident I can get my answers here on Cruise Critic. Thanks in advance.

1-on my last cruise with NCL, you had to make reservations for almost every kind of show; not for a particular reserved seat, but just a reservation to be able to get into the auditorium or one of the smaller venues. I remember being advised to hurry to the room where one made those reservations before I did anything else on embarkation day. Is anything like that necessary on Princess, or is it more of a ‘show up early to the performance and sit wherever you can?’

2-we’re picking up our medallions at the pier. I’m assuming there will be some indication of which line we should stand in; is it by color or does it literally say ‘pick up your medallions here’? And given that we have to wait to get our medallions, how early do you advise we get there? We both live in Brooklyn, so we can arrive pretty much whenever we want. I was figuring around 10 AM, just to be on the safe side. Does that seem about right?

3-I vaguely remember reading somewhere on Cruise Critic that one of the dining rooms on the Enchanted is open for lunch on embarkation day, but I don’t remember which one. Can anyone confirm that—and tell me which dining room is the one that’s open?

4-what time does the retreat pool open in the morning? Is that earlier or later than the main pool?

5-neither of us are getting the Wi-Fi, so I’m a little confused as to exactly what medallion features would still work even without it. I know it will open your cabin door as you get within a few feet of it, and I’ve heard that it can help you to locate any traveling companion that’s in your cabin, by holding it up to some kind of panels that are located all over the ship. Without a Wi-Fi package, is that about it? Or is it also in lieu of having a boarding pass for embarkation and if you get off the ship in any port?

6– I’ve saved the most important question for last: does Princess have a location where you can get free soft serve ice cream? On other cruise ships I’ve traveled on, it’s usually by the pool or in the buffet somewhere. Where would it be on the Enchanted? (and if the answer is ‘nowhere’, I might have to seriously rethink my future with Princess Cruise lines 😉

Thanks again to anyone who takes the time to answer. I know I could probably get answers to all of these questions within my first couple of hours on the ship, but it’s more fun doing it this way—it builds up the anticipation for the cruise. 20 days and counting, can’t wait! 

1) Princess doesn't do reservations for shows. First come first seated. If you don't care where you sit, 10-15 minutes prior is fine for most all shows.

2) if picking up medallion at Port, you're in BLUE LANE.  As shown on your app. That's the pick up medallion line. 

3) usually midship deck 6 dining room for lunch on embarkation day

4) 6am or so..

5) the app works via ships INTRANET, not the Internet. All the functions of the app should work fine without any wifi Internet package. Turn off cellular data, make sure Wi-Fi is on and connect to ship's Wi-Fi. 

6) soft serve available on Lido deck, usually 11am to 10pm or some such similar hours..

Enjoy 

49 minutes ago, MsK64 said:

A friend and I are booked on the Enchanted, sailing from Brooklyn at the end of August. It’s been at least two decades since my last cruise with Princess, having done cruises with NCL and RCL in the interim, so I have a few questions about what Princess is like now and I’m pretty confident I can get my answers here on Cruise Critic. Thanks in advance.

1-on my last cruise with NCL, you had to make reservations for almost every kind of show; not for a particular reserved seat, but just a reservation to be able to get into the auditorium or one of the smaller venues. I remember being advised to hurry to the room where one made those reservations before I did anything else on embarkation day. Is anything like that necessary on Princess, or is it more of a ‘show up early to the performance and sit wherever you can?’

No reservations for shows. Just show up early to get a seat.

2-we’re picking up our medallions at the pier. I’m assuming there will be some indication of which line we should stand in; is it by color or does it literally say ‘pick up your medallions here’? And given that we have to wait to get our medallions, how early do you advise we get there? We both live in Brooklyn, so we can arrive pretty much whenever we want. I was figuring around 10 AM, just to be on the safe side. Does that seem about right?

Yes, it will be marked in the terminal where to go to get your medallion.

3-I vaguely remember reading somewhere on Cruise Critic that one of the dining rooms on the Enchanted is open for lunch on embarkation day, but I don’t remember which one. Can anyone confirm that—and tell me which dining room is the one that’s open?

I believe it's the aft one. Unless you are in a reserve collection mini suite or full suite, in which case it's deck 6 midship.

4-what time does the retreat pool open in the morning? Is that earlier or later than the main pool?

5-neither of us are getting the Wi-Fi, so I’m a little confused as to exactly what medallion features would still work even without it. I know it will open your cabin door as you get within a few feet of it, and I’ve heard that it can help you to locate any traveling companion that’s in your cabin, by holding it up to some kind of panels that are located all over the ship. Without a Wi-Fi package, is that about it? Or is it also in lieu of having a boarding pass for embarkation and if you get off the ship in any port?

Your medallion is your cruise card. You can also use the app without having internet access. You can use this to find your companion, order food to be delivered, etc.

6– I’ve saved the most important question for last: does Princess have a location where you can get free soft serve ice cream? On other cruise ships I’ve traveled on, it’s usually by the pool or in the buffet somewhere. Where would it be on the Enchanted? (and if the answer is ‘nowhere’, I might have to seriously rethink my future with Princess Cruise lines 😉

Up on the pool deck outside the buffet.

Thanks again to anyone who takes the time to answer. I know I could probably get answers to all of these questions within my first couple of hours on the ship, but it’s more fun doing it this way—it builds up the anticipation for the cruise. 20 days and counting, can’t wait! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MsK64 said:

1-on my last cruise with NCL, you had to make reservations for almost every kind of show; not for a particular reserved seat, but just a reservation to be able to get into the auditorium or one of the smaller venues. I remember being advised to hurry to the room where one made those reservations before I did anything else on embarkation day. Is anything like that necessary on Princess, or is it more of a ‘show up early to the performance and sit wherever you can?’ Show up early and sit wherever you can. It does vary depending on the passengers on the ship, but I would start with 1/2 hour minimum ahead of time and see how it goes.

2-we’re picking up our medallions at the pier. I’m assuming there will be some indication of which line we should stand in; is it by color or does it literally say ‘pick up your medallions here’? And given that we have to wait to get our medallions, how early do you advise we get there? We both live in Brooklyn, so we can arrive pretty much whenever we want. I was figuring around 10 AM, just to be on the safe side. Does that seem about right? Technically, it's called Blue Lane if you are picking up your medallion at the port. However, no one will ask you by that. They will just ask you if you have your medallion. Usually plenty of staff pointing you where to go. I've never gotten on in New York, so I have no inside knowledge. Other ports, we usually arrive around 10:30 or so.

Someone else will need to field this one for you.

4-what time does the retreat pool open in the morning? Is that earlier or later than the main pool? I think it varies.

You can also use things on the app.

6– I’ve saved the most important question for last: does Princess have a location where you can get free soft serve ice cream? On other cruise ships I’ve traveled on, it’s usually by the pool or in the buffet somewhere. Where would it be on the Enchanted? (and if the answer is ‘nowhere’, I might have to seriously rethink my future with Princess Cruise lines 😉Swirls-Deck 16 Lido

If you wish to dine in any of the specialty restaurants you may want to reserve them ahead of time.  The Catch by Rudy is very nice.  Also Enchanted has the 360 experience and is a little costly but well worth it.  Crown Grill and Sabatini's are also on Enchanted.   Sometimes you can go to these restaurants as a walk-in but no guarantee they will have a space for you.  Enchanted id a beautiful ship.  Enoy your cruise.

2 hours ago, candy4040 said:

If you wish to dine in any of the specialty restaurants you may want to reserve them ahead of time.  The Catch by Rudy is very nice.  Also Enchanted has the 360 experience and is a little costly but well worth it.  Crown Grill and Sabatini's are also on Enchanted.   Sometimes you can go to these restaurants as a walk-in but no guarantee they will have a space for you.  Enchanted id a beautiful ship.  Enoy your cruise.

Thanks for this info, but our only ‘perk’ was deciding to upgrade to a balcony room. Otherwise, no drinks package, no specialty restaurants – for us the amenities that come with a basic cruise fair were plenty. 

3 hours ago, reedprincess said:

1) Princess doesn't do reservations for shows. First come first seated. If you don't care where you sit, 10-15 minutes prior is fine for most all shows.

2) if picking up medallion at Port, you're in BLUE LANE.  As shown on your app. That's the pick up medallion line. 

4) 6am or so..

5) the app works via ships INTRANET, not the Internet. All the functions of the app should work fine without any wifi Internet package. Turn off cellular data, make sure Wi-Fi is on and connect to ship's Wi-Fi. 

6) soft serve available on Lido deck, usually 11am to 10pm or some such similar hours..

Enjoy 

Thanks for taking the time to answer; I appreciate it! I’m still a little bit confused about the medallion and its relationship to the app, I did download the app on my phone and on my iPad—that’s how I made dinner reservations. But neither my app nor my iPad will be working during most of the cruise because I didn’t pay for Wi-Fi. Honestly, I assumed I would just lock my phone in the safe unless it was a port day and use my iPad just to read books I had downloaded at home. So I’m not sure that would be particularly helpful in terms of my medallion, or how much I would even use the app. 

3 hours ago, reedprincess said:

4) 6am or so..

Enjoy 

Thanks for taking the time to answer; I really appreciate it!

30 minutes ago, MsK64 said:

Thanks for taking the time to answer; I appreciate it! I’m still a little bit confused about the medallion and its relationship to the app, I did download the app on my phone and on my iPad—that’s how I made dinner reservations. But neither my app nor my iPad will be working during most of the cruise because I didn’t pay for Wi-Fi. Honestly, I assumed I would just lock my phone in the safe unless it was a port day and use my iPad just to read books I had downloaded at home. So I’m not sure that would be particularly helpful in terms of my medallion, or how much I would even use the app. 

Internet and Intranet are two different things.

WiFi - basically, wireless connection to either. 

Internet - World Wide Web. Browsing, social media, email, YouTube, etc. 

Intranet - internal closed contained network, not linked to WWW.

(Very basic general explanations, no not detailed or 100% accurate - basic lay terms and explanations). 

The app works via Wi-Fi on the Princess INTRANET. You do not have to connect to the Internet (www) at all - and you don't need any package to connect to the Intranet - it's free.

Easiest way to connect:

Put phone in airplane mode 

Turn on wifi

Connect to Princess intranet. 

Voila - use the app.  

You will not be able to access anything online, ie CruiseCritic or your emails or such, but the app itself.. 

It's very easy one aboard, and theirs the Ocean/Internet desk to help out if needed. 

@MsK64, think of the Medallion as a cruise card that allows tracking and touch less unlocking of your cabin door. The APP is used to check your folio, journey view for activities, port guides, using ocean now to order food or other, track shipmates, make change dining reservations, etc.

7 hours ago, MsK64 said:

Your app WILL work without internet- it connects to the free ship wifi, they WANT you to use the app and it will always be accessible, as will any medallion function.   What cruise are you on, we are doing our first Princess cruise on Aug 31, as well.  But I do know that all cruise lines will allow access for the app. So turn the phone on airplane mode, then turn wifi back on, connect to the ships wifi (probably something like "EnchantedGuestWifi" or close to that, and then you will have total access to your app and medallion with no additional charges. 

26 minutes ago, JGmf said:

@MsK64 The retreat pool area doesn't close, so go at 1am, 5am, 10am, or 4pm.  Doesn't matter.  Only the bar has limited hours. 

This is actually great news. I’m generally up every morning by 6 AM, whether I want to be or not. So knowing that I can get my morning exercise out of the way at that hour—and hopefully alone—is terrific. (FYI, the ‘alone’ part is not because I’m antisocial, but just because I’d rather not have an audience for my less than professional swimming style – not to mention my 10-year-old bathing suit! 😀)

4 hours ago, Scottdalfonso said:

Your app WILL work without internet- it connects to the free ship wifi, they WANT you to use the app and it will always be accessible, as will any medallion function.   What cruise are you on, we are doing our first Princess cruise on Aug 31, as well.  But I do know that all cruise lines will allow access for the app. So turn the phone on airplane mode, then turn wifi back on, connect to the ships wifi (probably something like "EnchantedGuestWifi" or close to that, and then you will have total access to your app and medallion with no additional charges. 

We are on the August 24th sailing to New England and Canada. I have to be back by Labor Day, because school here in NYC starts the next day and my principal wouldn’t take kindly to me not showing up to start teaching my classes. (although I’m guessing my students would love it!) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wallyj said:

@MsK64, think of the Medallion as a cruise card that allows tracking and touch less unlocking of your cabin door. The APP is used to check your folio, journey view for activities, port guides, using ocean now to order food or other, track shipmates, make change dining reservations, etc.

So…basically Big Brother at sea? 😉

10 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Internet and Intranet are two different things.

WiFi - basically, wireless connection to either. 

Internet - World Wide Web. Browsing, social media, email, YouTube, etc. 

Intranet - internal closed contained network, not linked to WWW.

(Very basic general explanations, no not detailed or 100% accurate - basic lay terms and explanations). 

The app works via Wi-Fi on the Princess INTRANET. You do not have to connect to the Internet (www) at all - and you don't need any package to connect to the Intranet - it's free.

Easiest way to connect:

Put phone in airplane mode 

Turn on wifi

Connect to Princess intranet. 

Voila - use the app.  

You will not be able to access anything online, ie CruiseCritic or your emails or such, but the app itself.. 

It's very easy one aboard, and theirs the Ocean/Internet desk to help out if needed. 

Understood, and thanks! But the thing I was really asking about, was what the medallion itself did – which I now understand. And I’ll keep the medallion with me wherever I am. But as far as my phone is concerned, that’s a different story. As I said, I did download the app onto my phone and have used it already to make all my dining reservations. But it was not my plan to carry my phone around when I’m on the ship; it’s probably going to spend far more time locked up in the safe than anywhere else. That’s what I’ve always done in the past and it’s not been a big deal for me. I guess I’ll play this one by ear and see what happens.

1 hour ago, MsK64 said:

This is actually great news. I’m generally up every morning by 6 AM, whether I want to be or not. So knowing that I can get my morning exercise out of the way at that hour—and hopefully alone—is terrific. (FYI, the ‘alone’ part is not because I’m antisocial, but just because I’d rather not have an audience for my less than professional swimming style – not to mention my 10-year-old bathing suit! 😀)

The Retreat & other pools are not really big enough for exercise "swimming"...

6 minutes ago, vakamalua said:

The Retreat & other pools are not really big enough for exercise "swimming"...

Thanks for the info, but perhaps I mischaracterized my exercise routine and made you believe I needed the space to do some strenuous lap swimming. What I’m talking about is just some back-and-forth to just get my heart going a little and then a bunch of aerobic movements that get me to stretch my joints in a way I could not do on solid ground, thanks to my creaky knees. I’m guessing that any of the pools on Enchanted will do fine. My main concern was what hours would the pools be open, and knowing that they seem to be open 24 hours a day—at least according to an earlier answer— is a big help. 

You need to keep the medallion with you at all times. Even in the pool. It is your cruise card+ . They will give you a free lanyard or you can buy (Amazon or on the ship) any number of fancier wristbands, clips, necklaces etc. 

1 hour ago, MsK64 said:

We are on the August 24th sailing to New England and Canada. I have to be back by Labor Day, because school here in NYC starts the next day and my principal wouldn’t take kindly to me not showing up to start teaching my classes. (although I’m guessing my students would love it!) 

Oh ok, you get off when I get on, also going up to Boston\Canada. At least you start after Labor day, my kid starts the week before here in Philly, which is stupid because every time they do that, it's so hot they end up sending the kids home early all week, anyway! Old schools=no AC

6 minutes ago, Treasure Hunter said:

You need to keep the medallion with you at all times. Even in the pool. It is your cruise card+ . They will give you a free lanyard or you can buy (Amazon or on the ship) any number of fancier wristbands, clips, necklaces etc. 

I did already know about keeping the medallion with you all the time, but I wasn’t aware it was waterproof and that I didn’t have to take it off and hide it under my towel when I go in the pool. So thanks for that piece of information! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MsK64 said:

Thanks for the info, but perhaps I mischaracterized my exercise routine and made you believe I needed the space to do some strenuous lap swimming. What I’m talking about is just some back-and-forth to just get my heart going a little and then a bunch of aerobic movements that get me to stretch my joints in a way I could not do on solid ground, thanks to my creaky knees. I’m guessing that any of the pools on Enchanted will do fine. My main concern was what hours would the pools be open, and knowing that they seem to be open 24 hours a day—at least according to an earlier answer— is a big help. 

i taught Water Exercise for 20 years.  Any exercise is good exercise!  Have a great cruise!

You are going to have a great cruise. We never buy any packages and after taking this exact itinerary many times have found that excursions are not necessary. Walking from the dock for a lobster roll and window shopping is enough for us. Only difficult port is Boston but there is a hop on bus at the port. There is so much free food and much of it really good ( don't miss the pasta especially Alfredo) in the MDR and Princess has the best Pizza at sea. We love the Trivia and night time fun games.