Tauck Rhine vs Scenic Danube - HELP!!

prepb18

Hi, friends! My husband and I are celebrating our 5 year anniversary in December and just found out about Christmas Market River cruises - it sounds too magical to pass up! We’re clearly very late to the game booking-wise and have 2 itineraries on hold: Tauck (rhine Christmas markets) and Scenic (Danube Christmas markets) for Dec 2024. Any insight on which to pick?  In an ideal world, we’d choose Tauck with the Danube route but it’s completely sold out. Prices are fairly similar so it’s really down to preference for line and itinerary. It’s our first River cruise (we’re avid ocean cruisers) and really want a memorable experience yet don’t have any bias towards one or the other. Any thoughts or guidance is so appreciated! 

This could be as they say a no brainer Tauck have a superb reputation but they are sold out! I’ve sailed with Scenic many times and they certainly provide an excellent product. Whichever you choose what a super way to celebrate an anniversary I’d say go for it and enjoy.

• Like 1

I have sailed with neither company, but assume both would supply a great experience, have sailed on the Main for the markets. I suggest you do some “googling” of the various Christmas Markets - there are websites that will give info re opening times and days and what to expect. Compare this with your itinerary - and one may suit you better.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Well, if you have narrowed down the year to 2024 and the  route to Danube and cruise lines to just two and one of those lines is fully booked I don't understand what the problem is.

Edited by pontac

2 hours ago, pontac said:

Well, if you have narrowed down the year to 2024 and the  route to Danube and cruise lines to just two and one of those lines is fully booked I don't understand what the problem is.

I should’ve mentioned that we have a reservation booked on Tauck (it’s saved until Aug 6) and was the last room available so I quickly grabbed it. We only have a day or so to make our decision between the 2 booked reservations…

6 hours ago, Canal archive said:

This could be as they say a no brainer Tauck have a superb reputation but they are sold out! I’ve sailed with Scenic many times and they certainly provide an excellent product. Whichever you choose what a super way to celebrate an anniversary I’d say go for it and enjoy.

We have the last room on Tauck reserved! But it’s for the Rhine itinerary. We have a scenic room on hold as well, but it’s for the Danube (which is slightly preferable I think?). 

3 hours ago, prepb18 said:

We have the last room on Tauck reserved! But it’s for the Rhine itinerary. We have a scenic room on hold as well, but it’s for the Danube (which is slightly preferable I think?)

I think this is something only you can decide. I've not travelled on Tauck, but I have on Scenic.

Book one for 2024 and if you like river cruising book the other for 2025. Problem solved. 🙂

Be aware that ocean cruising and river cruising are quite different. Don't expect to get an ocean cruise like experience but on a river.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, pontac said:

I think this is something only you can decide. I've not travelled on Tauck, but I have on Scenic.

Book one for 2024 and if you like river cruising book the other for 2025. Problem solved. 🙂

Be aware that ocean cruising and river cruising are quite different. Don't expect to get an ocean cruise like experience but on a river.

I wish it were that easy! We have a 1 year old and 3 year old so escaping for a week is a feat in itself 😂 Did you like scenic? Anything in particular that you felt was subpar? And yes - completely understand it’s a different beast than ocean cruising! We just want to pick the “better” of the options since price is approximately the same. 

2 minutes ago, prepb18 said:

We just want to pick the “better” of the options since price is approximately the same. 

Can there be a better of the two? 😉 I think I would give the Rhine a bit more preference but others prefer the Danube just a tiny bit more in winter. If both itineraries start after 1 December they should both have all Christmas markets open. There is a slight variation in opening times before that. If you have a preference for a town or city, go for that itinerary. Remember that it gets dark early. Check departure dates for the ports, for example "Passau 6pm". That gives you the market in the dark for about 30 minutes. All are good in daylight but better at night - and busier then mostly. Or it is a different crowd - until 4pm tourists, after 4pm locals (rule of thumb). Is one itinerary having an overnighter in a town? Then I would go for that.

Very difficult to decide. Perhaps also try this: look at Strasbourg and when the ship is there (daytime/duration), look at Budapest and how much time you have there. I mean the description and the photos online in winter. Strasbourg: the area is home to the Christmas tree, Budapest is "just" a fabulous large city and one of my favourites now.

Nota bene: winter photos are taken over several years by photographers. You know, there may be no snow whatsoever on your particular cruise.

notamermaid

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, prepb18 said:

Did you like scenic? Anything in particular that you felt was subpar?

I've been on 2 Scenic cruises, they were quite different and the boats were different designs, and the ones on the Rhine & Danube will be different too.

Scenic are OK overall, but I rate Viking higher.  My biggest bugbear with Scenic is their over hype. ' Ultra Luxury'  what's that? It's not having table cloths in their restaurant, it is having toiletries in refillable dispensers screwed to bathroom walls. Neither say 'luxury' to me, let alone 'ultra luxury'. 'Totally fully inclusive' no, it's not. They over promise, Viking over deliver because they don't make the boasts that Scenic do. OTOH, Scenic include gratuities to guides and coach drivers, Viking doesn't even on their gratuities included package. 

I am going on my third Scenic cruise tomorrow, on the Rhine from Amsterdam to Basel so I'm hoping I'll come back with a better impression.

I've heard that Tauck really is luxury. That may be hype, but if they were the same price then I'd try Tauck.

But really, all the river cruise lines offer much the same. Each offer something the others don't. But whichever you pick, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

Can there be a better of the two? 😉 

notamermaid

You hit the nail on the head - I’m so appreciative! This was the insider comment I was hoping for. I could give you a hug right through the screen 😂 You’ve helped tipped the scales which is exactly what we needed. Appreciate you beyond!

5 minutes ago, pontac said:

I've been on 2 Scenic cruises, they were quite different and the boats were different designs, and the ones on the Rhine & Danube will be different too.

But really, all the river cruise lines offer much the same. Each offer something the others don't. But whichever you pick, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

THIS!! This. Thank you so much! This insider info has helped tipped the scales - exactly what I was hoping for. I read your scenic cruise reviews as well, helped immensely. Thank you again! Safe travels tomorrow!

5 minutes ago, prepb18 said:

You hit the nail on the head - I’m so appreciative! This was the insider comment I was hoping for. I could give you a hug right through the screen 😂 You’ve helped tipped the scales which is exactly what we needed. Appreciate you beyond!

Well hooray, I am pleased I have been of help. But puzzled as to where the scales are now tipped to.

12 minutes ago, pontac said:

Yes, I would say a first river cruiser (if it is the holiday type for them) will enjoy the cruise immensely regardless of it being Viking, Scenic or Tauck (or another). They are all normally good ships full of comfy beds, food and drink.😊

notamermaid

• Like 1

We've never done Christmas market cruises, but have sailed both the Rhine and Danube. Both rivers are beautiful, and to me, well worth seeing. I would suggest checking out which itinerary has the most markets available - however you may find that you get to much of a good thing. I personally would go for one that has a mix, and if you enjoy it....start planning for the next trip on the other river. 🙂

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pontac said:

No, the options are Tauck on the Rhine or Scenic on the Danube.

• Like 1

I don’t expect this potentially being your first river cruise that your worried about the interior layout of the vessel your about to travel in just that it will be comfortable and that the crew are attentive and helpful. I admit to only having cruised with Scenic and as I’ve found they change itineraries from year to year at my age it’s wonderful to walk on board and immediately feel at home and relaxed. You can board and not have to open your wallet the only extras you may encounter are in the spa, extra laundry, that little something from the on board shop or some way over the top alcohol and in that area what they offer as regular is definitely not (their Scotch selection is really good). Use your butler, morning tea or coffee in your cabin for instance, just ask and it magically continues throughout your cruise. Want a few relaxing away moments but don’t fancy what’s in your cabin refrigerator call for a Cocktail. As I said before enjoy and if you go with Tauck please let us know what it was like ❤️ 

• Like 1