Nieuw Statendam or BUST !!

Countdown continues.    Couple of questions before my sailing.

1. Anyone just off Nieuw Statendam  that can give an update on her current condition ?   Wondering about staffing levels and food quality.   

2. We booked a cabin guarantee.  Does anyone know how soon they will assign us a cabin number or whether that will even occur before the day of embarkation ?

3. Sometimes HAL is not the best at foreign port check in organization.  Has anyone had a HAL/ Athens experience from this summer to share ?                      Any advice or tips for port day ?

Cheers !!

Rex

GTY assignments are discussed here often. They can be issued from 3 weeks prior to at the dock. General trend seems to be around 8 days out.

Food quality is totally subjective. But I never see people stating they lost weight on a cruise because the food was bad.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RClark6369@aol.com said:

1. Anyone just off Nieuw Statendam  that can give an update on her current condition ?   Wondering about staffing levels and food quality.   

2. We booked a cabin guarantee.  Does anyone know how soon they will assign us a cabin number or whether that will even occur before the day of embarkation ?

3. Sometimes HAL is not the best at foreign port check in organization.  Has anyone had a HAL/ Athens experience from this summer to share ?                      Any advice or tips for port day ?

Cheers !!

Rex

We too are counting down to our first cruise on the Nieuw Statendam - we board on the 24th of this month. We are also waiting for our cabin assignment - booked a balcony gty.  We've heard good things about the ship, and are really looking forward to BB Kings and the Rollingstone Lounge for live music.  

When is your cruise?

2 hours ago, RClark6369@aol.com said:

Cheers !!

Rex

What does your title of this thread supposed to mean.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lido deck main said:

What does your title of this thread supposed to mean.

I think he's just using a common vernacular to describe his anticipation of a vacation... much like in the good old days you might see a person hitch-hiking on the side of the road with a sign that says "VEGAS OR BUST" meaning they were on their way to Vegas. 🙂

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, nunuc2000 said:

...We've heard good things about the ship, and are really looking forward to BB Kings and the Rollingstone Lounge for live music.  

Don't forget about Grand Dutch Cafe. You're going on 1 of the 3 ships that has one.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

Don't forget about Grand Dutch Cafe. You're going on 1 of the 3 ships that has one.

Safe travels- enjoy your cruise!

Oh yes, thank you! I'd heard the Dutch Cafe was excellent too!! 🙂 

Thank you nunuc2000.    We dont board until Oct 5th.   We hope you will have time to post "almost live" updates while you are on board.  We would love to hear about your experiences about this great ship.   We also booked a balcony gty.

Thanks

Rex

On Nieuw Statendam now…food is excellent..best we’ve had on Hal and better imho than westerdam, oosterdam or roterdam and we’ve been on all in the past year) fish isn’t overcooked, lamb is pink, best “included” steak we’ve had on any cruise…excellent desserts.  You will gain weight 🙂

• Like 1

Thank you for the update ghstudio.   What about staffing ?   Do you have to wait at bars (lido primarily) or at various lounges to get your drink order ?

I agree with you, Statendam (for whatever reason) has the best food in the fleet.  I sailed on her in 2019 so I was hoping the same remained true today.

Is the music set in the lido still so awesome that you find yourself lingering after you have eaten just to hear the music ?   In was just an excellent mix on hits 60's - present when I want on her in 2019, but all the songs were "feel good" songs....

Thanks

rex