Distilled Water

I ordered distilled water from room service and it was delivered in less than 5 minutes and cost about $4.00.  I had brought an extension cord, but the cabin attendant provided one without me even asking.  He said they have a “few” of them available.

43 minutes ago, ragethjj23 said:

And you have to bring your own extension cord. Fairly inconvenient considering cruise lines like Royal provide both free of charge. 

The steward provided me with an extension cord.

2 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

The steward provided me with an extension cord.

Per the carnival website, you are to bring your own. You can’t count on them having one provided for you. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ragethjj23 said:

Per the carnival website, you are to bring your own. You can’t count on them having one provided for you. 

I wouldn't be surprised if many, if not most of the extension cords the stewards have were left behind by previous passengers.  I understand that hotels often have a drawer phone chargers  for guests' use for the same reason.

4 minutes ago, staceyglow said:

I wouldn't be surprised if many, if not most of the extension cords the stewards have were left behind by previous passengers.  I understand that hotels often have a drawer phone chargers  for guests' use for the same reason.

Ok…but that doesn’t change the fact that you still need to pack one to ensure you have one as opposed to other lines that provide them. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ragethjj23 said:

Ok…but that doesn’t change the fact that you still need to pack one to ensure you have one as opposed to other lines that provide them. 

Why would you trust your CPAP machine on an electrical cord from a box of used cords?  

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

Why would you trust your CPAP machine on an electrical cord from a box of used cords?  

Been on plenty of cruises on lines that provided heavy duty cords without issue. I don’t know why you feel a cruise line would provide a faulty cord that would pose a risk. 

20 minutes ago, ragethjj23 said:

Been on plenty of cruises on lines that provided heavy duty cords without issue. I don’t know why you feel a cruise line would provide a faulty cord that would pose a risk. 

Because the cords provided are the ones left behind. They don't test them.  

2 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

Because the cords provided are the ones left behind. They don't test them.  

Yaaa you’re probably right, they take away power strips if they might be a surge protector, but they’ll risk an extension cord that might be a fire risk. 

the cord I was leant on Royal recently was heavy duty and looked brand spanken new. It was nice not having to worry about packing one and they provided distilled water!

7 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

There's not much danger that an extension cord can pose that cannot be determined by a visual inspection and a 30 second test with a meter.  I would be surprised if any "left behind" cords that were reused were not inspected before being issued.  An extension cord generally does not present a danger by itself, the danger is caused by what is plugged into that cord.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There's not much danger that an extension cord can pose that cannot be determined by a visual inspection and a 30 second test with a meter.  I would be surprised if any "left behind" cords that were reused were not inspected before being issued.  An extension cord generally does not present a danger by itself, the danger is caused by what is plugged into that cord.

Here's a secret about housekeeping (and dining room) teams worldwide.  You keep a secret stash of items regularly requested by guests so should your guest (and tip source)request such an item, you can be the hero and not need to be the first person to the official supply.  A left behind extension cord would go into your stash.  They would not be privy as to  why the guest left it,,forgot, a short, got soaked in water, etc. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, ragethjj23 said:

Yaaa you’re probably right, they take away power strips if they might be a surge protector, but they’ll risk an extension cord that might be a fire risk. 

the cord I was leant on Royal recently was heavy duty and looked brand spanken new. It was nice not having to worry about packing one and they provided distilled water!

One look tells you if the power strip is surge protected and there are many, many reports of surge strips not taken, being used in full view of room attendants.  Sounds like Royal is a better fit for you

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

One look tells you if the power strip is surge protected and there are many, many reports of surge strips not taken, being used in full view of room attendants.  Sounds like Royal is a better fit for you

And I’ve had non surge protected cubes/strips taken. It’s ok to want for more from carnival. No need to get defensive. 

I wouldnt take the risk of them not having one. 

Already bought one for upcoming cruise, as well as magnetic hooks to run it across the ceiling rather than worry about tripping over it (saw suggestion on a board). It's got 3 plugs on it so I'll also be able to read my tablet in bed while charging.

Even if you don't have CPAP I'd suggest taking an extension cord.

• Like 1

Typically extension cords only pose a danger if the sheathing and insulation are damaged enough where the wires are exposed to either cause a short or shock if touched. The biggest risk for cords in good condition is a tripping hazard or people exceeding the amperage rating, which should be unlikely for what you would use them for on a cruise since I doubt they will let you bring your table saw onboard.😁

To the OP, you do not need distilled water, ships tap water is just fine and, in some cases, better than distilled. I have used a cpap on cruises for over 20 years. It's just fine. Why buy a gallon of water when most of it will be poured down the drain at the end of the cruise? But thats just me so...

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ragethjj23 said:

And you have to bring your own extension cord. Fairly inconvenient considering cruise lines like Royal provide both free of charge. 

Edited by Jeafl

2 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Here's a secret about housekeeping (and dining room) teams worldwide.  You keep a secret stash of items regularly requested by guests so should your guest (and tip source)request such an item, you can be the hero and not need to be the first person to the official supply.  A left behind extension cord would go into your stash.  They would not be privy as to  why the guest left it,,forgot, a short, got soaked in water, etc. 

Okaaay.  Maybe on land.  Even the dumbest housekeeping staff would see a damaged cord, which is the major danger of a cord in itself, and on a ship where the crew is dependent on the passengers' goodwill, they would not give out a defective cord, which could result in complaints and loss of income. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Pyrate13 said:

in some cases, better than distilled.

Much as I'll defend ship's water, no, this is never the case.  Distilled water that you buy is distilled, so essentially pure water.  While the ships do make distilled water, it is almost always mixed with either shore water or RO water (which is nowhere near distilled), and even if the ship only made distilled water, they then add chlorine and calcium carbonate, so the water is no longer distilled.  You cannot get "better than distilled".  You can get "better than bottled", but not distilled.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Chief, I defer to your experience as it's always great advice and info. I have read in other places that there are different ways some ships treat their water and it is purer than distilled. Either way, I still stand by my statement that ships water is fine during a cruise. I'm still here without any issues from using it.