Chase Trip Insurance being discontinued?

Just got an email from chase stating new benefits will take effect on 10/1/2024.  The link to the new benefits brochure has no Trip Cancellation insurance anymore.  https://www.chasebenefits.com/visa1

I've called Chase several times.  They can't confirm or deny anything about this.  Does anyone know what's going on with that?  I've booked several future trips on that card.  Thanks.

18 hours ago, Winemaker_1 said:

Just got an email from chase stating new benefits will take effect on 10/1/2024.  The link to the new benefits brochure has no Trip Cancellation insurance anymore.  https://www.chasebenefits.com/visa1

I've called Chase several times.  They can't confirm or deny anything about this.  Does anyone know what's going on with that?  I've booked several future trips on that card.  Thanks.

I didn't even realize the Chase Visa Signature and Platinum cards offered that benefit.

So far I have not seen any change to the cancelation/interruption benefits to Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Sapphire Reserve.  I have the Preferred card and I have not yet seen any notice from Chase, nor is there any indication of a change when I log in.  That said, Chase occasionally offers me an "upgrade" to my current card with bonuses  But the upgraded card does not offer trip cancelation/interruption benefits.

I think folks need to take a deep breath.  Chase issues several different tiers of Visa and MC cards and what the OP references is not among the higher tier.   If Chase eliminates some benefits from a lower tier, folks can ask to be upgraded to the Sapphire Preferred or Reserve cards.  Yes, these cards are more expensive, do require a decent credit rating, but also offer a large slate of perks/benefits.

Hank

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

I think folks need to take a deep breath.  Chase issues several different tiers of Visa and MC cards and what the OP references is not among the higher tier.   If Chase eliminates some benefits from a lower tier, folks can ask to be upgraded to the Sapphire Preferred or Reserve cards.  Yes, these cards are more expensive, do require a decent credit rating, but also offer a large slate of perks/benefits.

Hank

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the sky is falling.  I just notice that in their new benefits brochure for my Chase Sapphire Preferred card (which Chase tells me is a Visa Signature card) travel cancellation insurance is not listed.  The new benefits are scheduled to take effect on 10/1/2024.  I've called three different times now for clarification on whether the trip cancellation insurance will continue for my Chase Sapphire card and all three times they told me they don't have information to confirm or deny that it will continue.   

Edited by Winemaker_1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Winemaker_1 said:

Just to be clear, I'm not saying the sky is falling.  I just notice that in their new benefits brochure for my Chase Sapphire card (which Chase tells me is a Visa Signature card) travel cancellation insurance is not listed.  The new benefits are scheduled to take effect on 10/1/2024.  I've called three different times now for clarification on whether the trip cancellation insurance will continue for my Chase Sapphire card and all three times they told me they don't have information to confirm or deny that it will continue.   

Interesting info.  I just looked on the Chase site (we have a Sapphire Reserve) and found the usual benefits with nothing said about changes in October.

Your Chase Credit Card Guide to Benefits (chasebenefits.com)

I imagine if they do rescind benefits, it would not be effective until the anniversary date of the current card, since changing mid-stream could be viewed as a breach of contract.  Given the high cost of the Reserve card, there would likely be a real stink if they eliminated that benefit.  We orginally got that Sapphire card because of their travel insurance benefits and the primary coverage for domestic rental cars.  I should mention, that over the years, we have filed two major claims for trip cancellation/interruption and collected on both.  Dealing with their claims adjustment folks (a sub-contractor) is no fun and does require a lot of patience.  I did also find a Points Guy article that Chase is switching their insurance administrator away from "eclaims."  Having dealt with those eclaims folks (on our two major claims) I do applaud that they are making a change although time will tell if things improve.

Chase to switch insurance benefits provider, improve protections and expand coverage - The Points Guy

I think it was because of this insurance benefit, that many AMEX Platinum folks switched (or added) a Chase Sapphire card.  Eventually, AMEX added a similar benefit to their Platinum benefits, but with a lower maximum ( I think it is $10,000 vs the higher $20,000 on the Sapphire card).

Hank

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We orginally got that Sapphire card because of their travel insurance benefits and the primary coverage for domestic rental cars....

Same here and I like the card.  I'm hopeful all benefits will continue, but without travel cancellation insurance the card is as useful to me as Fredo Corleone was to Michael.  I'll drop it for an AMEX Platinum.

On 8/9/2024 at 10:57 AM, Hlitner said:

Interesting info.  I just looked on the Chase site (we have a Sapphire Reserve) and found the usual benefits with nothing said about changes in October.

Your Chase Credit Card Guide to Benefits (chasebenefits.com)

I imagine if they do rescind benefits, it would not be effective until the anniversary date of the current card, since changing mid-stream could be viewed as a breach of contract.  Given the high cost of the Reserve card, there would likely be a real stink if they eliminated that benefit.  We orginally got that Sapphire card because of their travel insurance benefits and the primary coverage for domestic rental cars.  I should mention, that over the years, we have filed two major claims for trip cancellation/interruption and collected on both.  Dealing with their claims adjustment folks (a sub-contractor) is no fun and does require a lot of patience.  I did also find a Points Guy article that Chase is switching their insurance administrator away from "eclaims."  Having dealt with those eclaims folks (on our two major claims) I do applaud that they are making a change although time will tell if things improve.

Chase to switch insurance benefits provider, improve protections and expand coverage - The Points Guy

I think it was because of this insurance benefit, that many AMEX Platinum folks switched (or added) a Chase Sapphire card.  Eventually, AMEX added a similar benefit to their Platinum benefits, but with a lower maximum ( I think it is $10,000 vs the higher $20,000 on the Sapphire card).

Hank

Agree that eclaims is a pain, but the travel insurance itself if the only reason we keep our Sapphire card.  If that goes away, there are other cards that offer different benefits that we will use and just buy a yearly travel insurance policy.  But if it suddenly goes away for travel already booked on the card that will be a pain.

2 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Agree that eclaims is a pain, but the travel insurance itself if the only reason we keep our Sapphire card.  If that goes away, there are other cards that offer different benefits that we will use and just buy a yearly travel insurance policy.  But if it suddenly goes away for travel already booked on the card that will be a pain.

You are preaching to the choir.  We have collected over $24,000 in claims through e-claims and that card.

Hank

Just got into this subject in depth. We previously had AMEX Plat and Chase Reserve (wife had Chase Preferred) and dumped the Plat and Reserve cards because of cost and retirement. We have 5 cruises booked and did want trip protection and thought of adding amex plat or Venture X which have cancellation insurance. Reading the fine insurance print of these cards you have to charge the entire trip to the respective card for insurance. Chase was always fantastic in that you used to only need to charge part of the trip. So since deposits are paid on other cards we likely would just use Preferred to pay balances. Had wanted to add a new Marriott Bonvoy but as far as I can tell no trip insurance.

Long story but hoping Preferred maintains its trip protection. We can buy evac very cheaply but trip cancellation (with evac) is averaging 275+ bucks per a one week 5k cruise. Not worth getting a new Marriott card with 3 free nights if we have to pay for the trip cancellation for 600-700 addtl.

As the poster indicated a total hassle getting fine print info on the card insurance plans. 

Just got off the phone with Chase once again.  This time I was referred to the "new" benefits team.  The person I spoke with confirmed that trip cancellation insurance will not be going away from Sapphire Preferred or Reserve cards.  She stated that it was missing from the brochure because it is being updated.  Few specifics were available to her as to what the updates will be except that it's expected to cover more family members and circumstances.

15 hours ago, Winemaker_1 said:

Just got off the phone with Chase once again.  This time I was referred to the "new" benefits team.  The person I spoke with confirmed that trip cancellation insurance will not be going away from Sapphire Preferred or Reserve cards.  She stated that it was missing from the brochure because it is being updated.  Few specifics were available to her as to what the updates will be except that it's expected to cover more family members and circumstances.

Thanks for posting on your findings.

I just received the email from Chase regarding my Sapphire Preferred card.  The good news is the Trip Cancellation and Interruption benefit is still there.  I have not read the new Guide to Benefits to see what terms and conditions may have changed, but I noticed that you still need to only charge a portion of your trip to the card to get coverage.

"The Covered Traveler is covered when You charge all or a portion of the cost of the Trip to Your Covered Card and/or use redeemable Rewards. Covered Travelers do not need to be
traveling with You for benefits to apply.
"

Here is an excerpt from my email:

We're always working to improve your benefits experience
To provide you with a more seamless experience, all of the travel and purchase protection benefits* that come with your Credit Card will now be available on one website for easier access.

We've also changed the Benefits Administrator and Underwriter for your benefits. For losses that occur on or after October 1, 2024, contact Virginia Surety Company, Inc., an Assurant company, to file a claim.

•    Info and online claims filing: chasecardbenefits.com
•    Phone: 1-800-350-0939

Any losses that occur prior to October 1, 2024, will be processed by the current Benefits Administrator. Please refer to your current Guide to Benefits.

Plus, we're updating your Auto Rental Coverage benefit.
•    Your coverage will now include more vehicles; you'll receive up to $60,000 in coverage for eligible vehicles with an MSRP of $125,000 or less.
•    Extending the notification period from 60 days to 100 days.

The effective date of this change is October 1, 2024.

For more details, including updated terms, conditions and limitations, please see your new Guide to Benefits. New York residents should review the New York specific coverage terms and limitations for Purchase Protection and if applicable: Lost Luggage Reimbursement and Auto Rental Coverage. Thank you for being a Chase cardmember.

• Like 2

Also received my Chase Preferred benefits and pleased the program is essentially unchanged. They link to a summary guide which I download and is a great reference. After a bunch of research it appears that the Chase Hyatt card (which we have) and IHG card do have travel insurance where other Chase cards like Marriott do not. Am considering adding an IHG card with 5 night sign up bonus but am completely underwhelmed by available IHG props especially those that require under 60k points. 
Thinking of just charging everything to Preffered for our 2025 3 cruises and likely investigate a new card with insurance and sign up bonus for 26 cruises.

Would have considered AMEX Plat or Venture X but they require complete payment to effect coverage.

Glad to see this Insurance topic on boards as I had never previously noticed and it is a critical topic for all cruisers.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, chisoxfan said:

After a bunch of research it appears that the Chase Hyatt card (which we have) and IHG card do have travel insurance where other Chase cards like Marriott do not.

There are so many versions of the Chase cards.  My Marriott Chase card has the travel cancellation/interruption benefit.

Added

As I said on a previous post, Chase occasionally tries to get me to "upgrade" to another Chase Marriott Bonvoy card.  They offer me bonus points and a few improved benefits.  But the "upgraded" card does not include travel cancellation/interruptionbenefits.

Edited by Jersey42
added

3 minutes ago, Jersey42 said:

There are so many versions of the Chase cards.  My Marriott Chase card has the travel cancellation/interruption benefit.

Guessing you have Bonvoy Premier...

Although the legacy Marriott Bonvoy Premier Chase card is no longer available for new applicants, existing cardmembers can still enjoy its benefits that include travel cancellation insurance. 

In my research no Chase  Marriott card including new 250 Bountiful offered cancellation insurance. I am speaking of current Marriott  consumer cards (not business). The closed to new users Ritz also had it. My older  Bonvoy card used to have it but no longer does while 95 dollar preferred Sapphire and Hyatt still retain it. IHG 99 dollar card also has it. Not questioning you at all but I know in my case I want to have insurance coverage and terms in writing if I am relying on it. 

Not offering this with any specific expertise and am frankly more than frustrated by how difficult it is to definitevely access the insurance protections. Would love to hear of currently available Chase Marriott mainstream card with travel cancellation since (as stated earlier) Chase insurance seems less restrictive than AMEX or Cap 1.

On 8/13/2024 at 10:10 AM, Jersey42 said:

I just received the email from Chase regarding my Sapphire Preferred card.  The good news is the Trip Cancellation and Interruption benefit is still there.  I have not read the new Guide to Benefits to see what terms and conditions may have changed, but I noticed that you still need to only charge a portion of your trip to the card to get coverage.

"The Covered Traveler is covered when You charge all or a portion of the cost of the Trip to Your Covered Card and/or use redeemable Rewards. Covered Travelers do not need to be
traveling with You for benefits to apply.
"

Here is an excerpt from my email:

We're always working to improve your benefits experience
To provide you with a more seamless experience, all of the travel and purchase protection benefits* that come with your Credit Card will now be available on one website for easier access.

We've also changed the Benefits Administrator and Underwriter for your benefits. For losses that occur on or after October 1, 2024, contact Virginia Surety Company, Inc., an Assurant company, to file a claim.

•    Info and online claims filing: chasecardbenefits.com
•    Phone: 1-800-350-0939

Any losses that occur prior to October 1, 2024, will be processed by the current Benefits Administrator. Please refer to your current Guide to Benefits.

Plus, we're updating your Auto Rental Coverage benefit.
•    Your coverage will now include more vehicles; you'll receive up to $60,000 in coverage for eligible vehicles with an MSRP of $125,000 or less.
•    Extending the notification period from 60 days to 100 days.

The effective date of this change is October 1, 2024.

For more details, including updated terms, conditions and limitations, please see your new Guide to Benefits. New York residents should review the New York specific coverage terms and limitations for Purchase Protection and if applicable: Lost Luggage Reimbursement and Auto Rental Coverage. Thank you for being a Chase cardmember.

I don’t see this in the old brochure  ( my highlights):

IMG_3674.jpeg

1 hour ago, Suzanne123 said:

I don’t see this in the old brochure  ( my highlights):

The wording is two paragraphs below your highlights.

You are not covered for any amounts not charged to the card (or redeemable rewards). The difference between the Chase card and some other cards is that you do not need to charge the entire trip to your card to get ANY coverage.  For example with some other cards if you charged most of the trip to the card but charged the airfare or the deposit to a different card your claims would most likely be denied. 

For example, the AMEX Platinum card requires that "the Eligible Traveler charges the full amount of the cost of transportation by Common Carrier(s) to your Eligible Card". 

Common Carrier means any land, water, or air conveyance operating under a valid license for the transportation of passengers for hire and for which a ticket must be purchased prior to commencing travel. Common Carrier does not include taxis, limousine services, commuter rail or commuter bus lines, personal automobiles, or rental vehicles.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Suzanne123 said:

Yes, but that extra line is new, probably for clarification.
This is last year’s brochure:

I looked at my older benefit brochure and I agree that the new policy terms now restrict any losses to the amount charged. I am pretty certain under the old plan you could charge a 99 dollar deposit and be covered for the entire trip. This always struck me as extremely liberal and hard to believe that Chase was so 'generous' with the coverage. It must have been an interesting challenge if you made a 'related' charge on a cruise such as cabin upgrade, drink package, grats, etc. I think these would offer coverage on the full trip under old terms. While not as attractive, the new policy offers clear guidelines and also allows you to be covered even if you paid for some of the trip with another card.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

I looked at my older benefit brochure and I agree that the new policy terms now restrict any losses to the amount charged. I am pretty certain under the old plan you could charge a 99 dollar deposit and be covered for the entire trip. This always struck me as extremely liberal and hard to believe that Chase was so 'generous' with the coverage. It must have been an interesting challenge if you made a 'related' charge on a cruise such as cabin upgrade, drink package, grats, etc. I think these would offer coverage on the full trip under old terms. While not as attractive, the new policy offers clear guidelines and also allows you to be covered even if you paid for some of the trip with another card.

We always get independent third-party travel insurance (and have collected more times than we would have wished, but alway without any nonsense). So I have never taken the time to ferret through ALL of the terms and conditions of any charge card travel insurance coverage.

But I have often made note of comments, mostly here on CC (and also a few elsewhere), about charge card coverage that *seemed* to require only paying for "anything cruise related/etc." to get coverage for the entire cruise.

Has anyone actually had a claim that was paid for a large sum (e.g., full cruise fare) when they only used the relevant charge card to buy a small trip related <whatever>?

I guess I always assumed that in the proverbial fine print, there was something like "... reimburse for any charges actually *charged* to the card..."  That was really not a restriction before!?

GC

11 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

We always get independent third-party travel insurance (and have collected more times than we would have wished, but alway without any nonsense). So I have never taken the time to ferret through ALL of the terms and conditions of any charge card travel insurance coverage.

But I have often made note of comments, mostly here on CC (and also a few elsewhere), about charge card coverage that *seemed* to require only paying for "anything cruise related/etc." to get coverage for the entire cruise.

Has anyone actually had a claim that was paid for a large sum (e.g., full cruise fare) when they only used the relevant charge card to buy a small trip related <whatever>?

I guess I always assumed that in the proverbial fine print, there was something like "... reimburse for any charges actually *charged* to the card..."  That was really not a restriction before!?

GC

Hard to speak directly to insurance payoffs and customer satisfaction as they obviously can vary between insurance company and individual trip circumstance. I personally have just rebelled at the cost of comprehensive cruise insurance . The coverage we have had through CC's on past cruises is great and 'free'.

Our concern was always med evacuation and this is necessary and relatively cheap (we booked a one week cruise last year with 500k evac at 17 bucks and quotes for upcoming week cruises (without extensive research are around 65 a week). I am reminded at the purpose for insurance...to protect against a financial setback that would be debilitating. I would hate to lose 5-15k on a cruise cancel but it would not impact us. Any taxes and port fees would also be refunded in a cancellation.

While perhaps getting more restrictive I still think the CC coverage of Chase is a tremendous benefit and I am confident, if needed, will suffice.JMHO

7 minutes ago, chisoxfan said:

The coverage we have had through CC's on past cruises is great and 'free'.

Okay, but my question was:

"...Has anyone actually had a claim that was paid for a large sum (e.g., full cruise fare) when they only used the relevant charge card to buy a small trip related <whatever>?..."

So you *used* the CC travel insurance through a charge card in the past, and recovered more than what you had charged on the card?  (Especially of interest would be coverage for large losses, when only some minor expense was charged to the relevant card.)

Thanks.

GC