What is a Malt? Not the whisky sort!

elmsliebev

I'm browsing the menus for our Regatta cruise in October and I see Waves serves ice cream, milkshakes and Malts.

Please educate this Brit - what is a Malt? A milkshake with some sort of added malt powder? And which is the best one?

thank you

30 minutes ago, elmsliebev said:

I'm browsing the menus for our Regatta cruise in October and I see Waves serves ice cream, milkshakes and Malts.

Please educate this Brit - what is a Malt? A milkshake with some sort of added malt powder? And which is the best one?

thank you

As always, depends on personal preference. Malt powder adds some richness & depth to the flavor & is my choice. Try both a shake & malt side-by-side & find your favorite.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Unless they have Fox's U-Bet and siphon bottles for seltzer on board, it will not be a real egg cream. 🙂

So right.  Growing up in Brooklyn we had malts, shakes, egg creams, ice cream sodas and orange Julius.

And I remember Jahns kitchen sink   then we moved to Long Island and substituted Friendly's.

Just now, Woofa said:

So right.  Growing up in Brooklyn we had malts, shakes, egg creams, ice cream sodas and orange Julius.

And I remember Jahns kitchen sink   then we moved to Long Island and substituted Friendly's.

The Kitchen Sink shared after High School Basketball games. YUM

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, SATaxman said:

Unless they have Fox's U-Bet and siphon bottles for seltzer on board, it will not be a real egg cream. 🙂

The glorious egg cream!

Fox’s U-Bet Chocolate Syrup for authenticity along with seltzer (NOT club soda) and whole milk. The order in which you add ingredients depended a lot on which Brooklyn neighborhood. 
BTW: my first real summer job was working at Jentz Ice Cream Parlor at “the Junction” of Flatbush & Nostrand.

IMG_0768.jpeg

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 6

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

If the Lancashire(wo)man is familiar with a Knickerbocker Glory (s)he may explain it to the board.

She will. It's ice cream and jelly (jello not jam), chopped fruit (preferably tinned), whipped cream and sprinkles on top, all layered up in a tall sundae glass. Not to be confused with a 99 which is vanilla ice cream with a Cadbury's flake on top. 

Edited by elmsliebev
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The glorious egg cream!

Fox’s U-Bet Chocolate Syrup for authenticity along with seltzer (NOT club soda) and whole milk. The order in which you add ingredients depended a lot on which Brooklyn neighborhood. 
BTW: my first real summer job was working at Jentz Ice Cream Parlor at “the Junction” of Flatbush & Nostrand.

IMG_0768.jpeg

Oops! Forgot the other important “ingredient.”

IMG_0628.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The glorious egg cream!

Fox’s U-Bet Chocolate Syrup for authenticity along with seltzer (NOT club soda) and whole milk. The order in which you add ingredients depends on which Brooklyn neighborhood. 

I took the IRT from that corner everyday to college in Manhattan.

• Like 2

Knickerbocker Glory suggests it is original to New York/New Amsterdam but I have NEVER encountered the item in the Western Hemisphere. The 99 is new to me and I thank she for introducing us.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, elmsliebev said:

ok then, what's an egg cream? Does it actually contain egg? 

An egg cream has neither egg nor cream in it...other than the cream inherently present in whole milk .

Edited by njhorseman
  • Like 1

Back to malts and milkshakes on O. You can get them by Waves Grill. I personally don't like them at all. Many people do. I think it's the shelf stable milk, or whatever it's called that throws the taste off for me. I've tried them multiple times, every time was the same outcome. Blecch. 

I love ice cream, I love milkshakes, I love gelato, I love custard. Most of the ice creams on Oceania I like. I enjoy the Humphrey Slocumbe, but I think I liked the standard stuff they made onboard better. I haven't seen Rocky Road since the HS came around. 

I'd suggest trying the shakes or malts, you might like them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ORV said:

Back to malts and milkshakes on O. You can get them by Waves Grill. I personally don't like them at all. Many people do. I think it's the shelf stable milk, or whatever it's called that throws the taste off for me. I've tried them multiple times, every time was the same outcome. Blecch. 

I love ice cream, I love milkshakes, I love gelato, I love custard. Most of the ice creams on Oceania I like. I enjoy the Humphrey Slocumbe, but I think I liked the standard stuff they made onboard better. I haven't seen Rocky Road since the HS came around. 

I'll be trying them all! 

6 hours ago, ORV said:

Interesting TidBit: We were at the Ferry Building (San Francisco) last week and stopped by the Humphry Slocombe shop for a scoop or two. Though not on the menu, I asked for some “Elvis: The Fat Years” only to find that it hasn’t been available to the general public for at least two years.

Apparently, someone at O knows someone at Humphry.😳😎

• Like 3