Norwegian Epic - Haven Plumbing Issues?

My husband and I are planning a trip with my parents on the Norwegian Epic next January. We are staying in a two-bedroom family villa and are very excited to introduce my parents to the Haven.

On another site that will not be named, I saw a group post describing several issues with the plumbing, over the last several years. I trust the experience of this forum much more, so I wanted to see if anyone else has had similar experiences on the Epic. This will definitely be the most expensive trip we have taken and I would rather reschedule to another ship if it won’t be a good experience for my parents. They have previously sailed The Retreat on Celebrity, but never in the Haven. 

Thank you in advance for your thoughts!

What kind of plumbing issues are reported?  Plumbing issues can happen on any ship.  I sailed Epic Haven in 2010 and we had plumbing issues.  The shower only had scalding hot water on the third day.  When maintenance came they explained there was a shared water valve between our cabin and the owners suite next door.  When they adjusted it on their side, it messed up our side and vice versa.  But I think this was only isolated to our cabin and theirs.  I stayed in a 2 bedroom suite on Epic and never had any issues.  If any plumbing issues come up, that is why ships have a maintenance crew.  They are very good and experienced.  They can fix anything.  I would not worry.  Plumbing issues can happen on any ship if someone flushes something down the toilet that was not supposed to be flushed.  It can mess up so many toilets.

9 minutes ago, ndlptcruiser said:

Thanks for the insight! Multiple people had replied they did not have working toilets in their rooms for a couple of days and had to go to other floors to use the bathrooms. 

This happens on ships all the time.  Its humans causing the problems with flushing things down cruise ship toilets they are not supposed to.  People are carless and do what they want to do and cause problems for everyone. 

1 hour ago, ndlptcruiser said:

Thanks for the insight! Multiple people had replied they did not have working toilets in their rooms for a couple of days and had to go to other floors to use the bathrooms. 

I once had to deal with a block of 6 cabins that did not have working toilets for 4-5 days, while my crew roto-rooted a bikini out of the pipe.  While most clogs can get cleared within an hour or two, this was caught at just the wrong location for us to get ahold of it.  We cleaned it up, bagged it, and I took it around to the passengers in those cabins and explained that we knew one of them had done this, and then let them exchange the "stink-eye" between themselves for the rest of the crew.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

I will address what you saw on the other site from the perspective of a child with her senior parents.

My family and I disembarked the Epic on August 28th. We had two 2 bedroom suites (16021& 23) one for myself, husband & son and the other for my mid70’s parents and my daughter. The entire Haven was without toilets for 2 days/ we were without working toilets for 2 solid days and alternately for 1 day (where 1 or both toilets in each suite were not working). My mother was so stressed (about any accidents she might have going between the 16th and 6th floors to toilet) she couldn’t sleep and missed the Olympia stop due to exhaustion. 

My family of 4 could deal and go to the 6th floor ( yes that was the only solution) but seniors have to go immediately. Hence my mother’s stress. 

There was NO communication about the cause or resolution other than “ we’ve never seen this happen before” and “we are working on it”. No apologies from management NOTHING! 

For those who might wonder, We were given $250 OBC for only the first two travelers (even though traveler 3 also had no working toilet). And 10% FCC. When we said that want acceptable compensation for what transpired we were given a case number and a site to voice our request for additional compensation. 

In short, I might take a chance and go on NCL if it was just me and my husband.

But I could not in good faith watch my mother go through that again. Nor could I in good conscience not inform you of this issue. 

We had a Christmas cruise scheduled for 2025 on the Joy—4 Haven Suites—the 10% FCC would’ve made a nice dent in that vacation cost—we cancelled. 

Edited by MyBabysBaby
  • Like 2

Sailed her twice in the Haven, latest one being last October in the Mediterranean. No toilet issues either time.

Just as an FYI, as they point out in your cabin, throw nothing in the toilet outside of the NCL provided TP.  You'll be fine!

In March 2023 we stayed in a two bedroom Haven cabin on the Epic and did have toilet issues on two different days.  One day resulting in a overflow that soaked the carpet they had to put a big fan in the cabin to help the carpet dry.   We also had family members staying in another two bedroom suite and they also had issues. 

1 hour ago, MyBabysBaby said:

I will address what you saw on the other site from the perspective of a child with her senior parents.

My family and I disembarked the Epic on August 28th. We had two 2 bedroom suites (16021& 23) one for myself, husband & son and the other for my mid70’s parents and my daughter. The entire Haven was without toilets for 2 days/ we were without working toilets for 2 solid days and alternately for 1 day (where 1 or both toilets in each suite were not working). My mother was so stressed (about any accidents she might have going between the 16th and 6th floors to toilet) she couldn’t sleep and missed the Olympia stop due to exhaustion. 

My family of 4 could deal and go to the 6th floor ( yes that was the only solution) but seniors have to go immediately. Hence my mother’s stress. 

There was NO communication about the cause or resolution other than “ we’ve never seen this happen before” and “we are working on it”. No apologies from management NOTHING! 

For those who might wonder, We were given $250 OBC for only the first two travelers (even though traveler 3 also had no working toilet). And 10% FCC. When we said that want acceptable compensation for what transpired we were given a case number and a site to voice our request for additional compensation. 

In short, I might take a chance and go on NCL if it was just me and my husband.

But I could not in good faith watch my mother go through that again. Nor could I in good conscience not inform you of this issue. 

We had a Christmas cruise scheduled for 2025 on the Joy—4 Haven Suites—the 10% FCC would’ve made a nice dent in that vacation cost—we cancelled. 

I am a bit confused.  Am guessing then that the issue impacted more than just the Haven if there were no working public toilets on any floor above deck 6 that could have been used.

Posted (edited)

Yes. It affected forward toilets floors above 16th floor (where we were located) through 7.

I addressed the Haven as that was what affected my family and that was what the OP mentioned and referenced as their observations on the other site. 

Again, not meant to confuse nor debate it was what it was.

I believe it is an issue for anyone considering traveling with older folks. 

Edited by MyBabysBaby

This is truly a horrible thing to happen, way more than just an inconvenience, and I personally would lose it if it happened to me. That being said, a problem of this magnitude is pretty rare and certainly not a risk for any specific ship or cruise line.  Don't we all remember watching the news about the Carnival poop ship where everyone was having to go in buckets?  They had to rename that ship afterwards (ok maybe it was just their regular rebounding of older ships but still...)

12 hours ago, gizfish said:

This is truly a horrible thing to happen, way more than just an inconvenience, and I personally would lose it if it happened to me. That being said, a problem of this magnitude is pretty rare and certainly not a risk for any specific ship or cruise line.  Don't we all remember watching the news about the Carnival poop ship where everyone was having to go in buckets?  They had to rename that ship afterwards (ok maybe it was just their regular rebounding of older ships but still...)

IIRC and thinking right, wasn't that a ship with no normal electrical power?

• Haha 1

On 8/12/2024 at 4:30 PM, chengkp75 said:

I once had to deal with a block of 6 cabins that did not have working toilets for 4-5 days, while my crew roto-rooted a bikini out of the pipe.  While most clogs can get cleared within an hour or two, this was caught at just the wrong location for us to get ahold of it.  We cleaned it up, bagged it, and I took it around to the passengers in those cabins and explained that we knew one of them had done this, and then let them exchange the "stink-eye" between themselves for the rest of the crew.

That's a funny story.  The Captain should have ordered a Cinderella process to find the guilty party.  The bikini fits?  GUILTY!!!🤣

4 hours ago, gizfish said:

It was the Carnival Triumph, and an engine room fire was the cause.  The ship was later renamed the Sunrise.  

I believe the point @dexddd was making was that the Triumph was not a "plumbing issue".