Recent dining experience on Sun Princess

We are sailing on Sun Princess 9/23/24 - being Elite we have been trying for reservations for the past 6 months - both the APP which says nothing available and calling into the dining Department - told not yet - glitch in system, check back later etc

Today called in again and now told  there is nothing that we can request and will need to do it once onboard - I asked how that could be and being Elite that was suppose to help = oh we understand your frustration but nothing we can do?

We sailed on 32 South American Cruise in March and were able to have a table assigned each night and we watched each night the lines of passengers trying to get in for a table and being told there was nothing available and so many angry passengers

Has anyone recently sailed on Sun Princess without any reservations for Dining (not specialty or set time times) and were you able to do this once onboard for the entire Cruise - or not at all or each night?

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated - 

Stay well and safe and thank you again - 

We are currently on the Sun Princess and Elite too.

We booked 7.30 in the deck 6 MDR for 14 nights via the App a few weeks before the cruise but didn’t book any specialty restaurants as I didn’t want my credit card to be charged.

once on board we could book the Specialty venues by calling Guest services. Trying via the App was possible but the availability of slots in the Teppanyaki restaurant is very popular so we are hoping for a cancellation at 7 pm.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Cruiser Nona, I am on the same cruise.  I do not think my reply will help you a lot, but for what it is worth.

I think some people are ‘lucky’ and seem to have no problems. We are Platinum have been making (Private table for 2) bookings for months, speciality and main dining rooms (Spread over bookings for deck 6 & Deck 7).

We do not like to book normally, but we were a bit worried about posts some time ago, stating it was better to secure a seating.

My Deck 6 bookings, are all at 19.30, but my Deck 7 bookings are generally 19.40 and also have a live ‘Edit’ box

i did not want to risk losing any bookings by pressing the Edit booking, but this morning I tried to see if I could still make new bookings.  All main dining dates now say ‘No results Found’ regardless of what time I put in.

i think this tells me that some people have been able to book, some not; now it looks like it will be what is available on the day, unless they put in more reservable times in next 39 days.

i hope it all works out for you.

Bob & Liz

Posted (edited)

I don’t think calling will help, unless you get someone in Ocean Ready. Phone prompts until you get them, OR. They seemed to be trained on the App, but MDR… not so much.

Do you have anything booked in the MDR?  I had MDR TD and wanted to change it, had to cancel it all and book it again.  It worked.

If you have nothing booked on the App…Did you try to book MDR on the website version of the App?

I probably would still check every day, to see if it opens.

If all fails, go to the MDR, that you prefer, first night, ask for their help securing reservations for your whole cruise.  

Have others on your roll call been able to book MDR’s?  You might ask if anyone does see one open, to post on the roll call.

Edited by PacnGoNow

I have a Sun cruise this November and am elite was able to make reservations starting this past June have not had too much trouble with the app fortunately not like others reporting here on CC  my phone is old too it's an iPhone 8.

• Thanks 1

@Cruiser Nonna I more than understand the frustration. I had a table at 6pm but the app insisted on putting me in Signature Dining Room despite the fact that I'm not in a suite. So I looked Sunday & found that I no longer have a reservation.  Nor can I get one in any time slot & not even my exceptional CVP can get me a table. Should be interesting with my food allergy 🤔perhaps I'll still be assigned to a HW. 

The specialty dining times I want for my upcoming cruise on the Sun are all taken and have been since >120 days out. I'm thinking that, especially with upcoming changes to Premier inclusions, we should start up a bartering system where I can offer up my Traditional Dining table to a couple that is willing to sell me their 6PM Crown Grill reservation on my birthday. 🫠

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)

@So_Tweetie I'll settle for anything up to 8:30. I've still got 6pm on other future voyages,  just an issue with the Sun Princess 

FWIW 2 days just opened up a 9pm dining time

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

DH and I are also on the Sun 9/23 sailing and I have been following our very large Roll Call for info as well as Sun reviews on main Princess topics.

I loathe the new changes that Princess started after Covid with regard to dining.  Being the old traditional type cruiser, I was so excited to see Sun would offer traditional.  I was in hopes it would be like the old days and my booking would allow my TA to request early seating, table for 6. Our fav!

Appears that awful on again off again App is the only way to book.

So I have been checking every other day (when I think about it) to check the App for dining…Yep still “Nothing Available” message

I think someone said on the Roll Call that they appear to be opening reservations (supposedly on all ships since they changed to a tradtional option) in 2 week segments as you get closer to your cruise date.

I have not seen that yet…unless I didn’t check at the exact few minutes the app was working 😠

So frustrating.  My TA has been know to get access to something I cannot on the App…I might try that.

Any type pf dining on a cruise ship should not be so stressful…Used to be my favorite treat about cruising….

Good luck to all and see you in Southampton

• Thanks 1

Currently on Sun Princess. We have booked Tradional dining for 7.30 pm every night just prior to the cruise.

If you don’t show up within 15 minutes for table is given to someone else.

There are always people queuing to come in either deck 6 or deck 7 MDR’s and they always get seated relatively quickly.

• Thanks 1

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.  I had constantly checked the APP since December and nothing - I called into Princess  Medallion several times and transferred me to Dining and each time sorry not yet - except for this last time and now you will have to wait until you board..I did see some specialty dining available at 910PM but way too late.

Think what is so frustrating is being Elite have never had this problem and even in March no problems but for this ship does not seem to matter what we have done the answer is the same no

I am so glad that some passengers have been able to secure reservations and thank you again for those responded for all your information - stay well and safe

1 hour ago, Esprit said:

Currently on Sun Princess. We have booked Tradional dining for 7.30 pm every night just prior to the cruise.

If you don’t show up within 15 minutes for table is given to someone else.

There are always people queuing to come in either deck 6 or deck 7 MDR’s and they always get seated relatively quickly.

If you dine at 7:30 each night how do you manage to watch any of the shows?  Or don't they interest you?

There are shows at 10 pm in the Arena and Dome every night.

There is also a comedian most nights in the Princess live lounge.

We have always had plenty of time to get to them without rushing through our dinner.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1