First Impressions

After receiving an email nine days ago saying my tickets had been mailed I was eagerly anticipating their arrival.  Frankly I was disappointed today to find two pieces of paper, a form letter, and some peel and stick luggage tags.  Not my first luxury cruise, but my first on Regent, I guess I expected a more elegant presentation.  First world problem, I know, but hopefully not a sign of things to come.

• Haha 2

Surprised they weren’t just emailed as does SS.  Fancy packaging and mailings are perceived as wasteful these days and hopefully you’ll enjoy some luxury in the form of outstanding service, food and beverages.  Let us know your impressions on this journey.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Surprised they weren’t just emailed as does SS.  Fancy packaging and mailings are perceived as wasteful these days and hopefully you’ll enjoy some luxury in the form of outstanding service, food and beverages.  Let us know your impressions on this journey.

I don't have a problem with Regent cutting back on the ticket paperwork/packaging. 

However they don't seem interested in cutting back on expensively produced marketing material which we receive (x 2) on an almost daily basis!

• Like 14
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, minotaur said:

I don't have a problem with Regent cutting back on the ticket paperwork/packaging. 

However they don't seem interested in cutting back on expensively produced marketing material which we receive (x 2) on an almost daily basis!

We just received our packet for a Viking cruise next month.

Along with the luggage tags with cabin #, it had their iconic red leather Viking luggage tags. We like them and use them.

I always thought this was the most effective (and possibly economical) way to market.

More than once when retrieving our bags at baggage return someone has said something like "OH? Viking - do you like them?" With tags on luggage you are reaching people who are traveling already and certainly a target audience.

Our (not as visible) gray Regent tags are getting worn so we will probably be going on our next Regent cruise with red Viking tags since Regent no longer provides them and misses out on that advertising/marketing.

• Like 3

Ah… luggage tags. It’s truly a first world issue with me.

No matter what Regent sends via mail, it’s better than the Cunard version of print, fold, staple, etc!

I get it… should be much nicer, but if it might mean nicer food, drinks,wine etc. or even keep prices off a smidgen, I’m all for it!

Its less than a 24hr thing!

truely not that important to us… but that’s just us!

• Like 4

Can I just comment on all the “first world problems” references?  Given we are sailing on Regent, pretty much every single one of our life’s problems are first world problems.  Does that mean that when one expresses a concern it is automatically invalid?  I detest that phrase.  It basically tells me that you don’t care about *any* of my problems, as all are, in fact, first world problems.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

On 8/16/2024 at 12:54 PM, Tsunami74 said:

We just received our packet for a Viking cruise next month.

Along with the luggage tags with cabin #, it had their iconic red leather Viking luggage tags. We like them and use them.

I always thought this was the most effective (and possibly economical) way to market.

More than once when retrieving our bags at baggage return someone has said something like "OH? Viking - do you like them?" With tags on luggage you are reaching people who are traveling already and certainly a target audience.

Our (not as visible) gray Regent tags are getting worn so we will probably be going on our next Regent cruise with red Viking tags since Regent no longer provides them and misses out on that advertising/marketing.

Exact thing happened to us on our last DeltafFlight.  The FA noticed the Viking tags on our rollaboard during boarding. She asked - "Did you like Viking?"  My standard answer - "The actual cruise itself was very good but I believe Viking is ethically challenged in supporting their pre sailing commitments"

Perhaps not what Torstein had in mind .... 🙂

Frank

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2024 at 5:46 PM, frankpc123 said:

Exact thing happened to us on our last DeltafFlight.  The FA noticed the Viking tags on our rollaboard during boarding. She asked - "Did you like Viking?"  My standard answer - "The actual cruise itself was very good but I believe Viking is ethically challenged in supporting their pre sailing commitments"

Perhaps not what Torstein had in mind .... 🙂

Frank

Are you referring to their payment policies, or something else?

On 8/23/2024 at 10:10 AM, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Are you referring to their payment policies, or something else?

The payment policies are pretty well documented - even if "unique" in the industry. My issue was for a trip booked during Covid for 6/22. Viking (Rivers) was offering a "No Risk" guarantee to get money in the door. Part of the guarantee was to support any future fare reductions prior to sailing.  About two months before sailing they offered a better deal by about $4k. I asked for the new rate. They informed me they would happy to oblige but they would have to cancel the existing booking (and air) - a process that would take up to six weeks. Then I could to rebook at the lower fare depending on availability.  

I get that its hard for a business to just refund revenue, especially during the pandemic,  so I suggested that they allow me to keep the existing booking and provide a future cruise credit for the $4k.  Nope, not possible.

So when we were completing our on board evaluation at the end of the cruise we talked to one of the staff about our disappointment with Viking concerning the pre sail issues. The staff person encouraged us to document it in the evaluation and assured us  a Viking staffer would call post cruise to discuss. Never happened. 

Now the three or so Viking marketing mailings that arrive each week are deposited in the recycle bin before entering our home. 

Plenty of options with other companies ... I'm sure they don't miss me :-), but that Delta FA might think twice about her next vacation.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, frankpc123 said:

Now the three or so Viking marketing mailings that arrive each week are deposited in the recycle bin before entering our home.

I don't blame you.  That kind of thing really leaves a bad taste in your mouth, for sure. I myself always shied away from Viking simply because of the early payment issues.

In early 2020, we watched the Paul Gauguin (owned by Ponant), deny people cash refunds when they stopped sailing due to covid--that turned off lots of loyal former cruisers--we vowed we'd never go back, despite it being our favourite cruise ship.  So I can totally understand.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2024 at 1:20 AM, minotaur said:

Hear, hear!  We took our first Regent cruise back in October and we have been inundated with promotional mailings ever since.  Last week, for example, three pieces in two days.  We have also had three mailings from Oceania although we have never sailed on them.  I have to say that all this stuff will have zero influence on when, where and how we take our next cruise.  It seems like an awful waste of trees and money.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fairgarth said:

Hear, hear!  We took our first Regent cruise back in October and we have been inundated with promotional mailings ever since.  Last week, for example, three pieces in two days.  We have also had three mailings from Oceania although we have never sailed on them.  I have to say that all this stuff will have zero influence on when, where and how we take our next cruise.  It seems like an awful waste of trees and money.

You can opt out by filling out this form: 

https://privacyportal.onetrust.com/webform/3b29983e-65ce-4479-a104-3fcc5cc101d0/0cfb95e2-b866-4ec4-b8ea-47e429cf1ff3

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2024 at 8:27 PM, liv2dream said:

After receiving an email nine days ago saying my tickets had been mailed I was eagerly anticipating their arrival.  Frankly I was disappointed today to find two pieces of paper, a form letter, and some peel and stick luggage tags.  Not my first luxury cruise, but my first on Regent, I guess I expected a more elegant presentation.  First world problem, I know, but hopefully not a sign of things to come.

I hate carrying "things" I don't need. I find obnoxious documents packages are wasteful and prefer to carry my boarding barcode on my iThing. I chafe when I see people clutching reams of paper which are never referenced. I'd much rather Regent skimp on this "luxury" than on the creature comforts of the cruising experience. But that's just me.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, GMIAC said:

I hate carrying "things" I don't need. I find obnoxious documents packages are wasteful and prefer to carry my boarding barcode on my iThing. I chafe when I see people clutching reams of paper which are never referenced. I'd much rather Regent skimp on this "luxury" than on the creature comforts of the cruising experience. But that's just me.

I would be with you 100%, however we've stood behind countless folks who don't have a clue in how to find these docs on their devices....."oh, it's in there somewhere...."

I suppose the same could be said for assorted pages of docs...."it's here somewhere"....

Best boarding experience we ever had was with a tiny boutique cruise line where they had a

card table set up by the ship, a small flower arrangement and a list of passengers. We showed our passports and that was that........

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Mudhen said:

I would be with you 100%, however we've stood behind countless folks who don't have a clue in how to find these docs on their devices....."oh, it's in there somewhere...."

I suppose the same could be said for assorted pages of docs...."it's here somewhere"....

Best boarding experience we ever had was with a tiny boutique cruise line where they had a

card table set up by the ship, a small flower arrangement and a list of passengers. We showed our passports and that was that........

All you need to check-in for Regent is your Passport and a credit card. No idea why the rest of it even exists.

• Like 4

Just now, Pcardad said:

All you need to check-in for Regent is your Passport and a credit card. No idea why the rest of it even exists.

Yes. I don't think they even scanned the barcodes from our boarding passes when we checked in.

I tend to remember that I normally only needed the passport and credit card for the Regent people (and since the on line pre-check-in not the credit card).  I needed to show various other documents to get past the local port security people.  

I quit worrying about all that extra stuff, but i think it make some people feel more secure that the cruise is happening.  We went with a couple on a river cruise and she was quite worried about getting her luggage tags, I kept telling her not to worry, it was a small ship.  But she wasn't happy until she got luggage tags.

6 minutes ago, mj_holiday said:

I quit worrying about all that extra stuff, but i think it make some people feel more secure that the cruise is happening.  We went with a couple on a river cruise and she was quite worried about getting her luggage tags, I kept telling her not to worry, it was a small ship.  But she wasn't happy until she got luggage tags.

Luggage tags are available at the port. I don't worry about it.

4 hours ago, Scout16 said:

I tend to remember that I normally only needed the passport and credit card for the Regent people (and since the on line pre-check-in not the credit card).  I needed to show various other documents to get past the local port security people.  

Bring the credit card - half the time they can't access it.