Cunard First Time Since 2019

I going back on Queen Mary 2 for the first time since COVID. Things will have changed I know and there is many thing I cannot remember.

I am booked in a five deck sheltered balcony and as expected been allocated a 3.30PM boarding time. I am Platinum passenger mainly down to earlier cruises on QE2. I need a couple more to reach Diamond though. I am embarking at the Mayflower terminal in Southampton. If I remember last time on QM2 I arrived about 1PM and boarded immediately after the Grill suites. I believe Platinum still offers priority boarding. 

Please could I ask.  Can I  just ignore the time on my ticket, turn up at 1pm, and expect priority boarding?  I thought my ticket might have had an earlier Platinum time but it does not. 

Thank you in advance, Stephen. 

PS I am not trying to queue jump.  I just thought ally boarding was a Platinum benefit.

Things have changed with priority boarding.  I think Britannia Club are now third to board, after Queens and Princess. I'm Diamond and was given 2.45pm boarding in June, after having previously boarded around 12.30pm.

I think you should stick to the time given.  Mayflower terminal were very slow through security and we still had to sit for a while. Maybe by 3.30pm it will be quieter in the terminal.

30 minutes ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

Can I  just ignore the time on my ticket, turn up at 1pm

Yes

30 minutes ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

and expect priority boarding?

No

If you arrive at 13:00 then you should expect to have to wait in a queue outside the terminal until your allotted time. Depending on how boarding is going on the day then you may be allowed on earlier, but there are no guarantees.

34 minutes ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

I just thought ally boarding was a Platinum benefit

It is but boarding time is not the same as arrival time. You will, or at least should, get priority at your boarding time slot over those of a lower loyalty tier.

We’re in a similar situation- boarding at 14:45 in a couple of weeks. We are platinum as well, and I think this is the latest boarding we’ve had. However as we’re driving to Southampton on the day and it can take anywhere between 2 1/2 and 4 hours to get there depending on traffic, we’re obviously going to have to err on the side of caution and possibly get there an hour or so early rather than getting there a few hours late and missing the ship.

10 minutes ago, olippold said:

We’re in a similar situation- boarding at 14:45 in a couple of weeks. We are platinum as well, and I think this is the latest boarding we’ve had. However as we’re driving to Southampton on the day and it can take anywhere between 2 1/2 and 4 hours to get there depending on traffic, we’re obviously going to have to err on the side of caution and possibly get there an hour or so early rather than getting there a few hours late and missing the ship.

The last time we drove down on the day, we too has a 14:30 boarding time so we stopped off in Southampton on the way for a leisurely lunch. It make for a less stressful time getting stuck in the early queues and not knowing if you're going to be made to wait. You also have the advantage of breezing through the embarkation process after the mad rush.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, david63 said:

If you arrive at 13:00 then you should expect to have to wait in a queue outside the terminal until your allotted time. Depending on how boarding is going on the day then you may be allowed on earlier, but there are no guarantees.

This is incorrect.  As platinum you have priority boarding (which will be stated on your boarding pass) and you will be directed to bypass the queue outside the terminal, whatever time you choose to arrive,  to check in desks and then seated. You will be able to board once QG, PG, Club balcony and diamond have been called.  This has been my experience at Southampton boarding QV in May and QA in July.

Edited by Pear Carr

19 minutes ago, Pear Carr said:

This is incorrect.  As platinum you have priority boarding (which will be stated on your boarding pass) and you will be directed to bypass the queue outside the terminal, whatever time you choose to arrive,  to check in desks and then seated. You will be able to board once QG, PG, Club balcony and diamond have been called.  This has been my experience at Southampton boarding QV in May and QA in July.

That may well have been your experience but that is not the current policy.

As I said before there is a difference between boarding time and arrival time. Priority boarding means that you will get priority within your arrival time slot - not that you can arrive at whatever time you want to and expect to board.

Sorry but has the policy changed since 14th July? As stated my experience in July boarding QA was as it was in May boarding QA (boarding time given as 3.30 and arrived 12.45) and December 23 boarding QM2. I was directed to bypass the very long queue to access the terminal to check in. Not queue jumping in my opinion but perk given due to loyalty tier.

6 minutes ago, Pear Carr said:

Sorry but has the policy changed since 14th July? As stated my experience in July boarding QA was as it was in May boarding QA (boarding time given as 3.30 and arrived 12.45) and December 23 boarding QM2. I was directed to bypass the very long queue to access the terminal to check in. Not queue jumping in my opinion but perk given due to loyalty tier.

So you were able to check in and board before Grills?

We also had a priorty line back in June. Dropped our bags off at the appointed place and were allowed inside to wait for our boarding time. We did not have to stand in the long line. We are diamond but platinum were also allowed in. 

33 minutes ago, Pear Carr said:

boarding time given as 3.30

Out of curiosity where are you getting your "boarding time" from? To the best of my knowledge Cunard only issue you with an "arrival time"

There are a few things above which I think I can clarify.

1) As Platinum your boarding pass will not say Priority, it will say Platinum.

2) However Platinums can use the Priority check-in desk

3) The above is the formal situation at Southampton and Brooklyn, it's a stated benefit. It also applies in many/most other locations too.

4) Priority and Platinum means priority desk, not fast track on your stated time.

5) The stated time on the boarding pass, whether Diamond in Grill or Red-top in an inside stateroom, is the stated time that is best for your arrival.

6) That time is based on those suites furthest from the entry gangway (deck 3 in the case of Southampton) get on first, those nearest get on last, to avoid congestion close to the entrance. Your time is purely because your stateroom on deck 5 is very close to the gangway and it is therefore inefficient if the lifts and stairs are used for people on deck 12 aft as well as deck 5 mid.

Having said that, if you turn up at 1pm you won't be turned away. You will be put in the Priority + Diamond + Platinum queue, usually on the right side of Mayflower's double entry doors, so nearest the luggage hatches, with non priority guests on the left side. 

Boarding will be QG, then PG, then Diamond, then Platinum, then Club. Club used to be after Grills but that changed about 18 months ago.

If you turn up at 1pm, it will take 30 to 60 minutes to get to your stateroom, assuming QM2 is docked by 07:00 hrs.

If you turn up at 3:30 pm it will take 10 minutes, in fact the Intercruise agents will be looking at their watches since they will want to get off home, and will therefore speed you through the process very quickly.

One reason this question comes up in some form pretty much weekly is the focus on the first meal. Overall you will be eating plenty of meals and are unlikely to starve onboard. But in the case of QM2, the Golden Lion and Lido will be serving food until approx 4pm (sometimes 4:30pm) and there is room service available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, exlondoner said:

So you were able to check in and board before Grills?

No - the pecking order is QG, PG, Club balcony, Diamond and then Platinum.  We boarded according to our category - in May we were in Britannia and boarded as priority Platinum, in July we were in PG so second category to board.

2 minutes ago, Pear Carr said:

No - the pecking order is QG, PG, Club balcony, Diamond and then Platinum.  We boarded according to our category - in May we were in Britannia and boarded as priority Platinum, in July we were in PG so second category to board.

What about check in? In May, as QG (and diamond, if it matters) I started queueing at about 12.30, as instructed, and was not terribly pleased to see the person in front of me, who was not QG, had a check in time of about 2.30. Whatever priority they may have had, that seems wrong.

From experience I believe once you are in the terminal you will be directed to whatever relevant desk for check in and then seated.  The pecking order, for want of a better phrase, kicks in once boarding starts hence QG will be first through to security followed by PG etc. As stated I have remained seated until given category has been called to board. No queue jumping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exlondoner said:

What about check in? In May, as QG (and diamond, if it matters) I started queueing at about 12.30, as instructed, and was not terribly pleased to see the person in front of me, who was not QG, had a check in time of about 2.30. Whatever priority they may have had, that seems wrong.

I am not saying this is right, it probably isn't, but at this stage in the process there are only 2 speeds - Priority (Grills and CWC status all bundled together) and those without status or priority. The latter group gets the big long queue that goes up and down the length of the check-in area, and may be queued outside the building, whereas the first group, your group, gets the first few desks on the left, if looking towards Tesla. So yes, you best not look at other boarding passes since there will be people with the 2:30 time in front of you, or indeed the OP of this thread with 3:30 pm.

Hence my point 4 and 5 above, Priority does not mean fast track onboard, it means you can use those desks on the left. However after being checked in and then sat down, hopefully you would be one of the first onboard, as a QG passenger, all subject to queue jumpers. That stage, incidentally, only lasts for about an hour or so. By about 2pm they don't need to separate people after check-in, everyone can walk straight onboard. At that point being Priority/Diamond/Platinum just  avoids the main queue for check-in.

Anyone who doesn't want to queue too long just needs to turn up after about 2:30pm, regardless of status or stateroom.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Pushpit said:

I am not saying this is right, it probably isn't, but at this stage in the process there are only 2 speeds - Priority (Grills and CWC status all bundled together) and those without status or priority. The latter group gets the big long queue that goes up and down the length of the check-in area, and may be queued outside the building, whereas the first group, your group, gets the first few desks on the left, if looking towards Tesla. So yes, you best not look at other boarding passes since there will be people with the 2:30 time in front of you, or indeed the OP of this thread with 3:30 pm.

Hence my point 4 and 5 above, Priority does not mean fast track onboard, it means you can use those desks on the left. However after being checked in and then sat down, hopefully you would be one of the first onboard, as a QG passenger, all subject to queue jumpers. That stage, incidentally, only lasts for about an hour or so. By about 2pm they don't need to separate people after check-in, everyone can walk straight onboard. At that point being Priority/Diamond/Platinum just  avoids the main queue for check-in.

Anyone who doesn't want to queue too long just needs to turn up after about 2:30pm, regardless of status or stateroom.

But then you would miss lunch in the Grills, which usually finishes at 2.30.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, exlondoner said:

But then you would miss lunch in the Grills, which usually finishes at 2.30.

We're not entitled to lunch in the Grills.

We'll just have a substantial brunch in hotel. Well, substantial for us, maybe a tiny snack for everyone else! Then coffee/hot chocolate and a pastry in afternoon, then it will be dinner time.

Less full meals per day particularly within a limited time period helps control our weight and maintain our general health.

Thank you for your advice. Last time I cruised with Cunard I do not think they had these arrival times. Perhaps I just never noticed. From what has been suggested about 2.30pm should give a relatively clear path to board the ship.

We have lunch plans in Southampton so will not want to eat until dinner (late sitting hopefully).  From a missing the ship perspective 3.30pm seemed a bit late as I have been stuck in local traffic outside IKEA for nearly an hour on one occasion.  I would hate to be able to watch my ship sail from my car on West Quay Road.

Thank you, Stephen. 

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Pear Carr said:

I have a very similar experience.

We were given a 15:15 arrival time on June 7th, but we arrived at 12. We dropped off our suitcases and I had went to the enterance, showed my boarding pass which stated Diamond, and I was allowed in.

We checked in, and sat waiting with already checked in passengers.

Our boarding order was Queens Grill, followed by Princess, then Diamond & Club.

Edited by MylesS

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, exlondoner said:

We have had same thing happen on our last 2 cruises from Southampton. The last time recently on QA as Diamond told to join priority check in queue and when we were checked in and sat down the couple next to me were Silver with a 2-30pm check in time.

Edited by majortom10

Posted (edited)

Are staggered arrival times new?  I think I cannot remember them before COVID. I certainly never saw people queued outside the building. 

it seemed to work well before. You might wait on a comfortable seat inside the terminal. I always took a book and got a coffee.

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk

12 minutes ago, stephen@stoneyard.co.uk said:

Are staggered arrival times new?

No they have been there for as long as I can remember - what has changed is that they are now being enforced (to lesser or greater extent)

The problem at Southampton arose post Covid when P&O introduced their two new ships (Iona and Arvia) and with the greater number of passengers the terminals were becoming log jammed, and creating a potential safety issue, so Carnival UK made the decision to enforce the arrival times to deter those who arrived several hours earlier than they were allocated. Unfortunately this unilateral decision has spilled over into Cunard where the problem is not as great as their ships are somewhat smaller and they have more international passengers who arrive later by coach from the airport.

Posted (edited)

Thank you.  This will be my first post COVID cruise with Carnival PLC. It seems odd as Queen Mary 2 has no more passengers (since remastering) and the terminals are no more smaller. 

I think Queen Mary 2 often does not embark that many passengers in Southampton.  There is a lot of single occupancy and passengers from the USA are often doing round trips.

I never thought Cunard had a problem to solve.  Particularly as the solution seems to involve making people queue outside the building. 

Thank you again for your help. My cruise after this is Arvia on a short cruise during the school holidays. I am expected crowds and queues but I thought Cunard were a bit more civilised. 

Best wishes, Stephen. 

Edited by stephen@stoneyard.co.uk