same day flight/cruise

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Will travel insurance cover our expenses if we choose to fly in on the same day of the cruise? We will have a very early morning direct flight to Boston, and the sailing is at 4PM. 

First, you must read your specific policy language.  There is not one size fits all insurance.

If you have cancellation / interruption insurance, then you should have coverage if there is a delay or cancelation that fits the covered reasons in your policy.  All will depend on the reason for the cancel or delay of the air.

In policies that I buy, this would constitute Trip Interruption insurance as that typically starts on the day of departure.  Before that is cancellation.

Look at the language of your policy - it will clearly state in the Trip Interruption policy section what is covered.

Only your policy language can answer this question for you.

Edited by CDNPolar

3 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

Will travel insurance cover our expenses if we choose to fly in on the same day of the cruise? We will have a very early morning direct flight to Boston, and the sailing is at 4PM. 

Hi Markanddonna,

Flying in the same day of the cruise does not void any coverages.

Steve Dasseos

6 minutes ago, happy cruzer said:

Most policies will state how long the delay must be to be covered.  Some may require 12 hours. 

Do any policies ever give a "minimum originally planned connection time", or similar guideline?

That is, if someone allowed a 10 minute connection (say, purchasing two separate tickets, because an airline wouldn't issue that type of ticketing), and someone "missed" the connection [Surprise!😲]... would any costs/losses be covered?  I mean, that's predictably very likely to cause a problem, although how bad/costly the problem is might not be known in advance.  

So are there any written "mimumum" connection times or other similar guidelines required, such that the traveler has to allow for somewhat "reasonable" timing for insurance to cover the costs of any subsequent problem?

This isn't quite the same thing as "how long the delay must be", although it's related.  If the delay was, say, 10 or even 24 hours (or other covered time period), but the traveler had only planned for a very short connection time... ??

GC

GC,

There are a couple of points to address here:

1. There are set minimum connection times for each airport and airlines do have to keep to those limits when scheduling connecting flights. That said, many minimum connection times are too close for my comfort.  
2. I think travel insurance policies that cover missed connections separately (in addition to travel delay) do not have a minimum connection time listed in their DOC.
3. In your example, I believe separate tickets too close together would be treated similarly to not leaving for the airport early enough and missing your flight. If the missed connection was not due to a documented flight delay, and it’s not in the DOC as a covered reason, it’s not covered.