Love Boat Horn?

dweidensaul

13 hours ago, vakamalua said:

I think that Princess identifying with The Love Boat is to its advantage & sets it apart from all the other mass market main stream cruise lines Celebrity, etc.  After all, The Love Boat show was instrumental in creating the entire leisure cruise industry that we know today!  So many ships look alike, but when you hear that horn, you know it’s a Princess ship—instant brand recognition that implies romance, adventure & a good time.

VIva ❤️🚢 !!!

Exactly. Just a bit of fun and that can't be a bad thing can it?

A highlight for us was when we left Kotor a few years ago on Royal Princess the love boat horn was set off and the sound bounced back of the surrounding mountains. It was fantastic.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, paddingtonbear said:

There were thousands of customer who love it enough to go on a love boat themed cruise earlier this year with the original “crew”. 

I must have missed the LB themed cruise from earlier this year.  I know there's one that's sailing this year, and there was one two years ago.

As for the poster that sniffed that any old themed cruise can attract thousands of people to it, I have a couple of stories about that.  First, I did two of the 80s themed cruises when Princess was doing that sort of thing.  One was late in 2021, just a few months into the restart.  That ship didn't draw 1000 passengers total.  And the theme was revealed so late (about 2 months before sailing) that not many had an opportunity to booked for it even if they wanted to.  I think far more passengers there either didn't know or didn't care about the theme.

And second, on the other 80s cruise I did back in April 2023, that one sailed full, and the theme was announced sooner - about 8 months before sailing.  But again, I found most passengers onboard either didn't know or care about the theme.  For some, the main theme was "short Princess sailing out of Galveston in April" and it was enough for them.

Last November, as we were leaving Ensenada, the Discovery (LB theme) & the Disney Magic (When You Wish...) saluted each other with  their horns.  Hundreds of passengers were on  the decks of each ship cheering, clapping & waving.

That kind of instant brand recognition is just good business--a marketing exec's dream.

• Like 2

On 8/25/2024 at 5:22 PM, Sox Fan Cruiser said:

I HATE the Love Boat horn. Especially on the early Royal class ships because the last note is out of tune. They fixed it on the later ones. But I like the traditional cruise ship horn. In my mind it diminishes the brand and makes it Carnival-ish. Princess is classier than that. But I know I’m in the minority. 

That drives me nuts as well. I can't understand how they could have failed to notice that the thing sounds so off key. Like you, I've never been a fan of the horn. (Of course my wife and I are also not fans of the show. It was fine when I was a kid and didn't know any better. The behavior of Doc is especially cringe worthy.)

6 minutes ago, Thrak said:

That drives me nuts as well. I can't understand how they could have failed to notice that the thing sounds so off key. Like you, I've never been a fan of the horn. (Of course my wife and I are also not fans of the show. It was fine when I was a kid and didn't know any better. The behavior of Doc is especially cringe worthy.)

I just listened to it on youtube...OMG...don't want to hear it again...just awful.