Edinburgh: The change of port from Leith to Rosyth

cdfev

2 hours ago, tine-tine said:

busses are a great way to get round Scotlan

At a slight tangent, would you know if my English seniors' free bus pass can be used in Scotland? I don't know if it's a UK thing or use is restricted to the nation that issued it

3 minutes ago, Harters said:

At a slight tangent, would you know if my English seniors' free bus pass can be used in Scotland? I don't know if it's a UK thing or use is restricted to the nation that issued it

No.  Just the nation that issued it.

We couldn’t board Nautica yesterday until 3 pm, I feel cheated. Of course I’ve known this for a couple of months now, but they cost me a lunch. I’m going to ask for some OBC. The nerve of them. Actually it was 2:30, 🕝 Oh well, at least we had a shuttle today 🤓

• Haha 7

4 hours ago, ORV said:

We took a tour to St Andrew’s today. Enjoying the walk around town. I think it’s going to be in the 90s all week at home. 

Have to say I am not looking forward to that. 

On 8/24/2024 at 11:56 AM, fruitmachine said:

Sirena has been booked for Rosyth (and Nautica for Leith) since at least 7th January 2024 and, from the numbering that I can see, Nautica was boked first..

You should also know that buses to Dunfermline are normally funded locally to promote Dunfermline, not by the cruise lines.  I'm not sure if any cruise line provides a free shuttle from Edinburgh to Rosyth.

I just found our notification on the port change also dated in January. 

Just now, SophieM said:

Have to say I am not looking forward to that. 

Is your cruise about over?

We’re gone until 9/12. Hopefully it’ll cool off by then. 

Just now, ORV said:

Is your cruise about over?

We’re gone until 9/12. Hopefully it’ll cool off by then. 

Over the 28th, and then we’re spending a few days in London. Fingers crossed the weather will act right when we get home. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harters said:

Sorry Harters, sadly they are only issued and for use by the home nation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cdfev said:

LOL. I am not a rookie traveler and have been to more than 70 countries and taken more than20 cruises. Usually, I travel independently and not with a tour or cruise. I am well aware that the cruise line is able to change plans at the last minute. My beef with Oceania is that they marketed for more than one year that two ships would berth into Leith. What changed in 2024? Seems like a classic bait and switch to me. I made plans and changed them. I did not like it. I enjoyed the Tattoo and Edinburgh. For those of you who are congratulating yourselves on your adaptability, good on you. I don't want or feel that I need compensation. In my opinion, this is not how you win repeat customers.

You are assuming that the change was under Oceania’s control.  It may well have been the decision of the harbourmaster and Oceania had no say in the matter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

We couldn’t board Nautica yesterday until 3 pm, I feel cheated. Of course I’ve known this for a couple of months now, but they cost me a lunch. I’m going to ask for some OBC. The nerve of them. Actually it was 2:30, 🕝 Oh well, at least we had a shuttle today 🤓

I feel your pain. I recommend you take something for it:🍸.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ORV said:

ROTFL

Jancruz1

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, tine-tine said:

only issued and for use by the home nation.

Again,, thanks. I had in mind that was the case - but I also had in mind a newspaper story of a guy who did John O'Groats to Lands End all on his English bus pass. Google has just found me the story which confirms he had to get special permission from the Scottish "powers that be" to do this charity journey. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SophieM said:

I just found our notification on the port change also dated in January. 

I just found our original one, too, and it was dated January 28, 2024.  My reference to a March notification was part of an exchange with our TA about it later in the game.

Guess I keep too many trip related emails in the cloud.

We’re stuck in the lock because of a technical issue with the lock. Hope that doesn’t effect free drinks from the Captain. 

4 minutes ago, ORV said:

We’re stuck in the lock because of a technical issue with the lock. Hope that doesn’t effect free drinks from the Captain. 

I’m going to say that might work in your favor. 

8 minutes ago, ORV said:

High tide is not until 19:45, so they have a decent window to fix it.  But I'd guess there will be a point where it's too late to get out and you have to wait for the tide to come back in again.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, ORV said:

I agree with @SophieM that it may work in your favor.    Did O lose the key to the lock?

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

High tide is not until 19:45, so they have a decent window to fix it.  But I'd guess there will be a point where it's too late to get out and you have to wait for the tide to come back in again.

You're off!

Goodbye from Edinburgh.  Haste Ye back!

image.png.11d1b1506d1276b4b4f6eb55fde47719.png

• Like 2

I care not when you received your notification of port change as it was many months after Oceania had marketed Leith as the port for Sirena for more than one year. What changed in 2024 that made the port change necessary is what I want to know? Glad that you all were notified in 2024 and had no issue with it as I did.

55 minutes ago, cdfev said:

I care not when you received your notification of port change as it was many months after Oceania had marketed Leith as the port for Sirena for more than one year.

I guess the solution for this is to only sell a cruise within 3 to 6 months of sailing.  In that way, there's far less likelihood that there may be a change.  So no having Oceania take any kind of booking for 2026....way too far out and "something" might change. And don't even mention what the possible routing might be.  Because.  Or even for the second half of 2025.

It's just like how folks complain and moan when they buy an airline ticket 11 months out and something changes.  How dare they!

58 minutes ago, cdfev said:

What changed in 2024 that made the port change necessary is what I want to know?

And if you find out why the change was made, what then?  Why is knowing so important -- it happened, and "knowing" won't change anything.

I just trust that a cruiseline (like an airline) has a reason for the changes.  And far be it for me to say that I know their business better than they do.

2 hours ago, cdfev said:

I care not when you received your notification of port change as it was many months after Oceania had marketed Leith as the port for Sirena for more than one year. What changed in 2024 that made the port change necessary is what I want to know? Glad that you all were notified in 2024 and had no issue with it as I did.

I’m wondering why it’s so important to know what made the change necessary. If this change of the docking location by the cruise line became such a big issue you would be probably better off traveling independently. Then you would know for sure who to ask to address your questions and it’ll be just one person to blame for something that isn’t planned right for you.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cdfev said:

While everyone understands you're upset,  there's no one who can answer your demand for more information and asking repeatedly does nothing to make your trip more enjoyable.   For your own comfort and enjoyment,  move on and enjoy what's remaining of what sounds like a fantastic trip. 

Conversely,  drink some Speyside single malt until you forget it happened. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, cdfev said:

I am getting the feeling that you are not a go with the flow and adapt kind of person…..

• Like 3