Gift Card-Buyer Beware

vwhite66

I purchased a few Princess gift cards to pay off my 1st Princess cruise. Unfortunately my husband had to have surgery so we cancelled the cruise. My Nationwide travel insurance!!! quickly reimbursed us for the cruise fare portion and Princess customer service stated I would receive the port taxes and fees.

After 2 months and several calls telling me to wait 10-15 days, I've now spent over 3 hours with Princess and 8 different agents. I've been told they have on record my refunds were gift cards but I have never received these via mail or email. $544

I am disturbed that Princess Cruises can treat customers like this. I assume this could happen with any cruise company but hope others have a better resolution department. I would also never gift anyone a Princess gift card!

12 minutes ago, vwhite66 said:

I purchased a few Princess gift cards to pay off my 1st Princess cruise. Unfortunately my husband had to have surgery so we cancelled the cruise. My Nationwide travel insurance!!! quickly reimbursed us for the cruise fare portion and Princess customer service stated I would receive the port taxes and fees.

After 2 months and several calls telling me to wait 10-15 days, I've now spent over 3 hours with Princess and 8 different agents. I've been told they have on record my refunds were gift cards but I have never received these via mail or email. $544

I am disturbed that Princess Cruises can treat customers like this. I assume this could happen with any cruise company but hope others have a better resolution department. I would also never gift anyone a Princess gift card!

your refunds were refunded to your existing gift cards, not new ones - check your balance(s)

• Like 3

Thank you for the information! I will check. Luckily I still have the card numbers. From past experience, other cruise lines have issued new cards and mailed them. It is a shame that not one Princess agent could tell me this.

6 minutes ago, vwhite66 said:

Thank you for the information! I will check. Luckily I still have the card numbers. From past experience, other cruise lines have issued new cards and mailed them. It is a shame that not one Princess agent could tell me this.

Same with many other businesses.  Refunds go back on the gift card.

Only know about HAL and Celebrity.  Was refunded back to the original gift card.  Agree a bit complicated.

10 minutes ago, vwhite66 said:

You are right. Carnival refunded in a new gift card but Princess puts in back on the original gift card.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, vwhite66 said:

The funds are on the card! But still no more gift cards for me, I usually throw them away after using. Next time I'll consult cruise critics' 1st though. 

you're welcome - I also learned about this on CC and glad to pass along

• Like 1

@vwhite66 I do hope your problem was resolved to your satisfaction.  It is always best to approach a problem with enough information that problem solvers can help you.  Princess did right by returning your gift card funds to the original form of payment.  Lesson learned:  keep old gift cards.  

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, vwhite66 said:

The funds are on the card! But still no more gift cards for me, I usually throw them away after using. Next time I'll consult cruise critics' 1st though. 

Happy that it all worked out.  I buy all of my gift cards digitally so that I can save a pdf of the card and the PIN number.  I keep them in the "Finances" folder of my Cruise file.  Each cruise has a separate file.  No chance of losing any of this information as long as the earth continues to spin.  

• Like 8
  • Haha 1