ICON Best

Cruising on ICON in October and I wonder if folks who have sailed on this ship have advice, favorites and must do's that they can share with me.  Travelling with children and grandchildren on western cruise route.  Have not been to Roatan or Puerto Costa Maya before.  Thanks in advance.

My favorite in roatan ismholding a sloth, though many enjoy the beaches. We dont know your likes and dislikes. Roatan reminds me of hawaii, green and mountains vs bahmas flat and brown. 

Thanks for the info on Roatan.  We will probably do the sloth adventure and maybe some beach time.  Any suggestion on the Icon itself?  Favorite restaurants or bars?  How about food?  We have reserved all the shows and are looking for the MDR menu by day so that we can plan dinners. Specifically which day is the lobster dinner?

Thanks for your advice!

Posted (edited)

I realize you are asking primarily about the ship but as you mention not having been to Costa Maya before I am posting a link to a very well run all inclusive beach day resort that we have used several times and enjoyed a lot:

https://costamayabeachresort.com/

Paradise Beach at West Bay Beach in Roatan is also a great beach day destination:

https://paradisehotels.com/inicio/

Just a couple of suggestions.  I'm sure many others will be able to help with suggestions regarding the ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Pete60 said:

Thanks for the info on Roatan.  We will probably do the sloth adventure and maybe some beach time.  Any suggestion on the Icon itself?  Favorite restaurants or bars?  How about food?  We have reserved all the shows and are looking for the MDR menu by day so that we can plan dinners. Specifically which day is the lobster dinner?

Thanks for your advice!

Lobster is always the 2nd dress up night. Usually night 6 in my experience. 

Used to be the first dress up night but moved to 2nd most think because fewer lobsters ordered. 

FYI I've seen lobster and shrimp and stuff in the buffet when you board. Special deal for icon.. idk if it was because it was new and cant confirm they still do this but I've seen several who got lobster at boarding in buffet.

Edited by firefly333

We have been on the Icon 3 times and were on the inaugural cruise. Here are some must dos:

1. Each bar on board has 5 specialty cocktails for that particular bar. Try a bunch and see what you like. 

2. 1400 Lobby bar is super nice! 

3. Kevin Philip the pub singer is a must see! 

4. Aquadome market is a must it is really good. 

5. I know it is expensive but go to the Milkshake shop outside of basecamp. Good for kidsa nd adults. 

6. Swim and Tonic pool is pretty cool. 

7. Surfside eatery for the kids is good. They all seem to love it. 

8. Try the Overlook Bar int he front of the ship. It is great for sunset etc. 

9. Ice show and Comedy are must sees. 

10. Quest is a must as well. Always fun.

11. I like the Hideaway Pool on Port Days as it is not crowded at all. 

Have a Blast, we go back December 9

Mike

• Like 1

Wow!  Three times on Icon!  Thanks for the great tips.  I assume you ate at WJ. MDR and Pearl Cafe. What was your impressions (likes/dislikes) for them? 

We visited the sloths on a ship's excursion in Roatan for my 70th birthday and loved it! My tip would be to book this tour in the morning hours as the sloths tend to be sleeping in the afternoons.😉

On 8/27/2024 at 3:51 PM, Pete60 said:

Thanks for your advice!

In May Lobster was served in embarkation lunch and both formal nights.  Pearl Cafe has excellent grab-n-go foods 24/7, pasta salad, tomato/mozzarella salad, fresh fruit cups, hummus/veggies, sandwiches ect.   Pier 7 was a highlight, excellent meal from start to finish, less ambiance compared to other specialty dining, but food was the most enjoyable vs. Hooked/Chops. Surfside eatery generally not very busy and has solid food, good alternative from Windjammer to avoid crowds.  Churros in Surfside is good along with Pretzel bites in Base Camp.  

Just off Icon Saturday. The Windjammer did serve lobster and shrimp for lunch on boarding day. We stopped by the WJ one evening and they had it then also.

20240817_110100.thumb.jpg.ef5fd33796560ae5d0bdd36971671c31.jpg

One of my favorite areas was the Aqua Dome with Rye & Bean and the yummy Creme De La Crepe.

Surfside is kiddo paradise.

We couldn't do it all so booked again!

• Like 1

Thanks much for the intel. Great to hear they are continuing that trend.

You have a most impressive sailed and upcoming list! What are your impressions of Roatan and Costa Maya and could you suggest any activities for those two ports?

We have booked a cooking class for Cozumel.  We have been to Cozumel in the past so we have seen the island.  This class was recommended as the best and we really like to cook. 

In Roatan we rarely get off the ship anymore. They do have a new small area of shops right by the ship.  My family loves doing the sloth excursions.

In Costa Maya we take a cab over to Mahahual, a short distance away, where there is a boardwalk, shops, restaurants, beach (not a great one), etc. Just ask to be dropped off at Krazy Lobster and you'll be smack dab in the middle of it all. There are also several all-inclusives around Costa Maya.

Icon is amazing - have a wonderful time!

Thanks for that!  Thanks everyone for your great advice and information.  We want to make this cruise special for our children and grandchildren so tips like yours really help us plan the experience.