DIY Denali Area to Homer

3 WI Cruisers

We are doing a 10 night DIY land portion after getting off the Sapphire Princess next May. We are taking the Princess transfer to the Anchorage airport to pick up car rentals, there will be 4 couples sharing 3 cars initially, 1 of the couples can only stay for 3 nights after the cruise so they have rented their own car. After picking up the cars at ANC we are driving to the Denali area staying in Healy at the Aurora Denali Lodge for 3 nights. Our next destination is Homer for 4 nights and then ending in Seward for 3 nights before heading back to Anchorage for a 10pm flight home. 

Google maps says it's an 8 hour drive from the Aurora Denali Lodge to our hotel in Homer. I have read that you should not rely on that time as being correct, it will take longer and sometimes significantly longer. We like to stop and take pictures on our way and would get lunch somewhere so it would definitely take us longer. I am wondering if we should stay 1 night in the Palmer area on our way down to Homer and shorten our Homer stay to 3 nights? I had wanted to drive at least part of the Glenn Hwy because I have heard it is so beautiful and if we break up the drive and stay a night in Palmer we could drive a little further on the Glenn Hwy, at least to the Matanuska Glacier Viewing area, so we could see some of the scenery there, I think that would be our only way to fit in driving some of the Glenn Hwy. My husband and I want to see as much of Alaska's beauty as we can because we are not sure we will ever get back so we are packing a lot in. I have been the researcher and planner for this trip and I just let the other couples know what I have found out and for the most part they just go along with what I learn.

Does anyone have any thoughts on if we would be better shortening our Homer stay to 3 nights and splitting up the drive there from the Denali area?

Have been coming up here for 30+ yrs. and have been to all the towns listed. Unless you are into outdoor activities (such as hiking)

I believe you will become bored in these towns after 2 days. Denali is a beautiful area but one day in the park would be enough. Homer is a unique little fishing town with numerous gift shops. Beside fishing, shopping, and sightseeing, that's it. Seward is another fishing town with some gift shops. There are cruises to glaciers and of Resurrection Bay  Don't get me wrong, all 3 towns are gorgeous and should be visited. Instead of rushing between towns you should take your time and enjoy the scenery. Possibly stay in Anchorage 1 night before returning home. Also there is road construction on the roads you need to travel. This can also affect your schedule. Good luck with your planning and hope you have a wonderful trip.

22 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

Have been coming up here for 30+ yrs. and have been to all the towns listed. Unless you are into outdoor activities (such as hiking)

I believe you will become bored in these towns after 2 days. Denali is a beautiful area but one day in the park would be enough. Homer is a unique little fishing town with numerous gift shops. Beside fishing, shopping, and sightseeing, that's it. Seward is another fishing town with some gift shops. There are cruises to glaciers and of Resurrection Bay  Don't get me wrong, all 3 towns are gorgeous and should be visited. Instead of rushing between towns you should take your time and enjoy the scenery. Possibly stay in Anchorage 1 night before returning home. Also there is road construction on the roads you need to travel. This can also affect your schedule. Good luck with your planning and hope you have a wonderful trip.

Thank you! We do like outdoor activities like hiking and are planning to do some hiking in all 3 areas. In Denali we want to do either the Tundra Wilderness Tour or the Hop on Hop off type bus.

In the Homer area my brother-in-law and his brother are going to day a full day fishing tour and in Seward we a re planning on one of the Major Marine Kenai Fjords Tours. 

Are there any other areas you would recommend us seeing if we can fit them in by decreasing a day here or there in one of the areas I mentioned?  

22 hours ago, AKStafford said:

The Matanuska Glacier area would be a good choice to break up the Denali to Homer drive. Sheep Mountain Lodge or Tundra Rose B&B or Homestead Cabins are all good lodging choices.

Thank you! I will look at those lodging recommendations! 

Talkeetna is a touristy little town. Also a lot of flight tours are based there. Valdez is a coastal town similar to Seward and is 5 hrs. from Anchorage. Also there is North Pole where you can visit Santa. These towns I mentioned require more driving and don't know about the accommodations for possibly staying overnite. Been up here for 6 wks. and finally did a trip up to the Arctic Circle . What a beautiful adventure !!  Going home today and God willing Will be back next year and am planning already

I would definitely break up the drive especially if you will be stopping for photos etc.Also as mentioned road works can also slow your trip. We did a road trip in 2019 from Anchorage. We stayed 4 nights there and did day trips north and south. Then we had two nights in Seward at a wonderful B&B, we did a day trip on Resurrection Bay, visited the aquarium the morning we left- would have liked more time there. Stayed 4 nights in Homer in a family run Inn - loved it! Definitely do a day trip to Seldovia! Went on the dinner trip to Halibut Cove too. On our way back to Anchorage we stayed overnight at Summit Lake. We had plenty of time to stop along the way and didn’t feel rushed. Back in Anchorage for a night before joining a Princess cruise tour to Denali and our cruise from Whittier. You’ll have a great time!

• Like 1

On the way to Homer you could spend a night in Girdwood at Mt. Alyeska Lodge or in Cooper Landing at Kenai Princess Lodge. (You don’t have to be sailing with Princess to book their lodge.) 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 5:46 PM, Suzanne123 said:

On the way to Homer you could spend a night in Girdwood at Mt. Alyeska Lodge or in Cooper Landing at Kenai Princess Lodge. (You don’t have to be sailing with Princess to book their lodge.) 

If you do stop in Girdwood the Bake Shop is great for lunch and if you enjoy Cajun the Double Muskie is great for dinner,

• Like 1

12 hours ago, diesel1973 said:

If you do stop in Girdwood the Bake Shop is great for lunch and if you enjoy Cajun the Double Muskie is great for dinner,

The Bake Shop cinnamon rolls are huge and delicious.🤤 

• Like 1

Have you already booked accommodations?  You are staying too many nights in each place as already mentioned.  I don't recommend Alyeska Hotel (alyeskaresort) because it is not worth $500 per night.  I stay there about 3x per year under a "Alaska Resident rate" and even at that, it's too much.  I do recommend Girdwood for a great hike.  Girdwood is on the Seward Highway and is where the Alyeska Resort is.  Seward will also be insanely priced and you have to dumb down your expectations.  There are more "affordable" places and IMHO, more "alaskan".  I do like the recommendation of Sheep Mountain Lodge which is mile 113.5 on the Glenn Hwy.  You could either drive up to Fairbanks and then down the Richardson to the Glenn so that you are NOT REPEATING driving the Parks Hwy.  The Parks will be busier than the Richardson.  Get gas in Fairbanks before heading down.  It's too bad you have to go all the way over to Homer.  Don't get me wrong; I like Homer, but the drive is long.  Take advantage on the long drive to stop for photos and pop into the little towns for a bite or brew.  Four nights in Homer; not worth it IMHO.  You will get views of several glaciers along your journey, but Exit Glacier in Seward is the most accessible.  Stay your last night in Anchorage and don't be in a hurry to get there.  Arrive for dinner.  The Moose's Tooth is a favorite.  Don't be discouraged by the number of people there.  Grab a beer or their root beer and hang out while waiting for your table.  

• Like 1

AKJonesy, I was wondering if you could give recommendations for more afforadable places than the ones the cruise lines use near Denali , Girdwod, Seward, Anchorage. and Homer.   IF this is permissable on this site.  We would also apprecaite any tips on good places to eat.  We don't need to eat a feast; just nice to have veggies and meat over something between two pieces of bread sometimes.  We plan to rent a car and have a cooler . PB sandwiches will help offset the cost of Alaska some.   I look at Tripadvisor and Expedia but am wondering what really is good.  Clean is the only thing we really care about for a place to stay . We understand things cost two and three times or more what it does here in VA. Don't mind paying for that, but we don't need the cadillac of places when a simple Chevy will do.  TY!

• Like 1

I think OP needs to reconsider how long that are planning to stay at each location, unless they do a lot of hiking or fishing you don’t need that many nights at any of those stops. Pay attention to the Alaska people that have posted above, they won’t steer you wrong.

BTW unless you are going fishing or camping Homer is a long drive with not a lot there. 

21 hours ago, MtnSeaGirl said:

AKJonesy, I was wondering if you could give recommendations for more afforadable places than the ones the cruise lines use near Denali , Girdwod, Seward, Anchorage. and Homer.   IF this is permissable on this site.  We would also apprecaite any tips on good places to eat.  We don't need to eat a feast; just nice to have veggies and meat over something between two pieces of bread sometimes.  We plan to rent a car and have a cooler . PB sandwiches will help offset the cost of Alaska some.   I look at Tripadvisor and Expedia but am wondering what really is good.  Clean is the only thing we really care about for a place to stay . We understand things cost two and three times or more what it does here in VA. Don't mind paying for that, but we don't need the cadillac of places when a simple Chevy will do.  TY!

@MtnSeaGirl Sorry I didn't see this until now.  You didn't really tag me so I received no notice.  You need to use the @ sign in front of the name and then you will get a drop down.  

You are not going to get ANY affordable places in Girdwood.  I can't speak to Denali unless you want to head up to Fairbanks at the end of one of your days.  Even then, I'd choose an airbnb over a hotel because FB hotels are insane and not worth the money.  I don't know anything about you...if you are young, etc.  Are you willing to camp?  Have you considered an RV rental?  I'm not sure how much you are paying per day for your accommodations and where but that's a thought.  A cooler is a good idea.  Get your groceries at Fred Meyer or Carrs Safeway.  Both use those stupid cards to get the discounts in the store.  If you have a Kroger or Smith's where you live, that's the same as Fred Meyer.  Regardless, go to the service desk and get a club card free so you at least get the discounts.  In Homer, there are more affordable places to stay.  Instead of posting here which is someone else's thread, I want to send you over to TA for these questions.  We have a number of people on the forum that can give more information.  Hold your ground and don't just accept what anyone says.  Don't worry about asking question after question to hone in on an answer.  Read some of the current posts.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g28923-i349-Alaska.html

Edited by AKJonesy
  • Like 2