Aurora - A Bear, Sweep and Others Go Baltic!

Megabear2

7 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

Good morning on another glorious day here in Bornholm.  It is our wedding anniversary today and we were delighted to receive a huge tray of food and a bottle of champagne from my P&O contact.  It took two people to carry and the amount of food would feed an army.  

My BIL is now confined to his cabin with what is being described as full blown 'flu.  As he has a very serious history of double pneumonia and chest problems he is under regular monitoring as a precaution.

The other two wounded are far better today after dosing themselves with paracetamol and cold capsules from my medical chest.

Cabin gate has had a weird but good outcome.  After being moved yesterday a call was received for a meeting with a senior staff member down at reception.  This person was concerned at the list of problems experienced by my BIL - 4 toilet breakdowns, three water leaks, four lock failures and a flood in total.  Apparently they had only just become aware of this long list and by way of apology have sent them a huge bouquet of flowers, two good quality bottles of wine and  the best bit moved them again into a deluxe balcony cabin on B deck.

The original flooded cabin has been almost gutted yesterday afternoon and a broken pipe has been found.  To effect repairs the occupants of 15 other cabins have been told they cannot use their cabins for an unspecified time as their ceilings are to be removed to allow the pipe repairs.  Apparently some unhappy people as a result

That was a lovely gesture by your P&O contact. And whilst it is good to hear that the issue with BIL's cabin has resulted in a good outcome, it is a shame that your P&O contact couldn't have helped out at the beginning.

1 hour ago, Devon born and bred said:

That was a lovely gesture by your P&O contact. And whilst it is good to hear that the issue with BIL's cabin has resulted in a good outcome, it is a shame that your P&O contact couldn't have helped out at the beginning.

To be truthful I did not consider contacting her as it was hoped the ship would be proactive and deal with it.  I also was unaware until yesterday there had been the large number of failures listed as other family members had been dealing with it. 

My husband and I were not directly involved so not in a position to be too involved.

Well we are home.  Unfortunately some of us have been very unwell the past few days.  My BIL with his respiratory illness has been seen immediately on his return by his GP who is less than impressed with what has been occurring and he is now receiving antibiotics to assist and being closely monitored.

I also took to my bed three days ago.  Following a message from my SIL that as a precaution before seeing her recently born grandson she has taken a covid test and its come back positive I too have tested and can confirm it's positive as well.  So we now have 6 positive tests, one serious respiratory infection and one stomach problem between us with more loking to test.  

Once I feel better I'll do a summing up.  Sorry I haven't been able to post the requested information to date.

• Like 9

4 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Well we are home.  Unfortunately some of us have been very unwell the past few days.  My BIL with his respiratory illness has been seen immediately on his return by his GP who is less than impressed with what has been occurring and he is now receiving antibiotics to assist and being closely monitored.

I also took to my bed three days ago.  Following a message from my SIL that as a precaution before seeing her recently born grandson she has taken a covid test and its come back positive I too have tested and can confirm it's positive as well.  So we now have 6 positive tests, one serious respiratory infection and one stomach problem between us with more loking to test.  

Once I feel better I'll do a summing up.  Sorry I haven't been able to post the requested information to date.

Sorry to hear this IMHO something is seriously wrong on board, The protocols P&O fall back on, clearly do not work!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Oh dear, hope everyone is feeling better soon.  I’m in Scotland on holiday at the moment and the amount of people wearing masks is a bit disconcerting 😳

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Waju said:

Oh dear, hope everyone is feeling better soon.  I’m in Scotland on holiday at the moment and the amount of people wearing masks is a bit disconcerting 😳

FWIW, when I'm not working on / playing with cruise ships here in Scotland, my "real" job is with the NHS.  There was a bit of a surge in covid cases a few weeks ago, most of which were what has become "normal", ie people having an incidental finding of it after being admitted for something else, although there maybe the coincidence of the Edinburgh Festival during that time.

I can't say I've seen any increased information or directives from cruise ships arriving at any of our ports / anchorages.   The usual first indication of anything amiss with covid or norovirus is that we are unable to work on board.  In fact, the weather has proved far more problematic.   

Megabear2, I hope you and your family recover quickly and without any long-term issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1