Icon 4 ordered with options for Icon 5 and 6.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, jfio1021 said:

gonna need to build a second coco cay at this point lol.

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

The paid Beach Club in Nassau is a step in that direction.

8 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Along with the Beach Club in Cozumel. 

Note.... plural (S)

"We're developing the Royal Beach Clubs as well. The first one of those is going to be in Nassau in the Bahamas," he said to the crowd.

I believe that's going to be the first in a series of Royal Beach clubs. We're looking at St Thomas, we're looking at Mexico."

As it turns out, his announcement has been half right so far, with the Cozumel Beach Club announcement confirmed."

So unfortunately forget about seeing the world by cruising with Royal in the near future... or maybe they'll develop a new "Pullmantur"-like off shoot company where they'll pass on Voyager and lower classes.

Edited by Hoopster95

On 8/27/2024 at 2:00 PM, RobInMN said:

Other than the UWC, I can not recall a RC branded ship going around the tip of South America. As far as I know, all the Quantum and Voyager class ships that have serviced the Pacific have all come from the Atlantic via the Suez.

I thought I had always heard that the Straight of Magellan was the more dangerous route (Samali Pirates aside), making the potentially longer route more attractive.

On 8/27/2024 at 2:06 PM, Biker19 said:

Mariner did a long time ago @Merion_Mom may have info.

Celebrity ships frequently have an itinerary that takes them around South America, just to keep it in the RCG family.

In the early 2000's, west coasters were screaming for RC to send them a Voyager class ship. (then the largest ships in the fleet).  

In 2009, Mariner sailed out of Port Canaveral, beginning a 46 night voyage around South America to Los Angeles.  The stay in California was rather short-lived, as swine flu and low bookings (leading to drastically lowered prices to fill cabins) led to RC returning Mariner the same way she had come.

12 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Celebrity ships frequently have an itinerary that takes them around South America, just to keep it in the RCG family.

In the early 2000's, west coasters were screaming for RC to send them a Voyager class ship. (then the largest ships in the fleet).  

In 2009, Mariner sailed out of Port Canaveral, beginning a 46 night voyage around South America to Los Angeles.  The stay in California was rather short-lived, as swine flu and low bookings (leading to drastically lowered prices to fill cabins) led to RC returning Mariner the same way she had come.

Thanks for that correction. Any idea if that's happened since? or have all the Voyage and Quantum class ships gone the "long" way since?

On 8/27/2024 at 10:55 PM, DutchCruiseFan said:

There is absolutely no way that Oasis and Allure are gone by 2032. Like actually zero. The vision class ships are making it to 30 and the Voyager class will go well over that. There is no way an Oasis class retires at 22/23 years old.

From a certain age onward, ships use to give more expenses than the usual, and the larger, the worst. So, now the industry can to cope with those additional operational expenses for a relatively small ship. They simply pass them to the pax, either on said ship or fleet wide. So, now: Are the additional ageing expenses of an Oasis class worth maintaining it in the fleet past say 22-25 years in service? Quite unlikely. Those ships will have a larger ageing expense per pax than anything in the industry. I believe they'll eventually to find a way forward to put those older Oasis ships in as short as possible routes from 2030 onward so that they can monitor their real evolution and decide if retiring them or not. After that, they may eventually to use them as floating hotels on Dubai or elsewhere or as school ships for a while, then they'll to scrap them.

19 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Note.... plural (S)

"We're developing the Royal Beach Clubs as well. The first one of those is going to be in Nassau in the Bahamas," he said to the crowd.

I believe that's going to be the first in a series of Royal Beach clubs. We're looking at St Thomas, we're looking at Mexico."

As it turns out, his announcement has been half right so far, with the Cozumel Beach Club announcement confirmed."

So unfortunately forget about seeing the world by cruising with Royal in the near future... or maybe they'll develop a new "Pullmantur"-like off shoot company where they'll pass on Voyager and lower classes.

They still have X for relatively more traditional cruise experience plenty of new ports each day. No need to reinvent the wheel, please!...

There is NO place for another Pullmantur in the market, unless provided with brand new, 4* EU hotel standards to the table. Even here in Europe, people are trending each time more to the brand new big to megaships!... MSC is winning the EU market with the likes of "Freedom-to-Oasis" class ships year after year. Nobody would to sail Vision, Radiance or Voyager class ships anymore, other than for some of those limited Greek islands itineraries. The main Mediterranean market is trending each time among the most competitive destination in Industry. RCL here can only to compete with the newer ladies, or with X which is still more traditional cruising experience, perhaps more in line with our tastes and preferences.

I believe RCI just to become a ship-as-destination trademark till 2035, while X will remain more traditional in mind, at least till 2050. No next Pullmantur which is unwanted. Older RCL and X vessels used on short-haul itineraries till they become unprofitable.

Mega ships going to private islands and beach resorts on short cruise, with lots of onboard spending is a massive win win win money spinner for royal..it makes complete sence for them to go down that route. Its still very popular certainly from the florida coast line. 

Europe is about the history and culture, lots of different countries to visit and dare i say it not as many passengers spending money onboard. However that said we do want the newer bigger ships in the med. MSC with World Europa is doing very well. Having been on her still not a match for Oasis class but for the cost its a winner. 

On 8/29/2024 at 11:10 AM, Nunagoras said:

From a certain age onward, ships use to give more expenses than the usual, and the larger, the worst. So, now the industry can to cope with those additional operational expenses for a relatively small ship. They simply pass them to the pax, either on said ship or fleet wide. So, now: Are the additional ageing expenses of an Oasis class worth maintaining it in the fleet past say 22-25 years in service? Quite unlikely. Those ships will have a larger ageing expense per pax than anything in the industry. I believe they'll eventually to find a way forward to put those older Oasis ships in as short as possible routes from 2030 onward so that they can monitor their real evolution and decide if retiring them or not. After that, they may eventually to use them as floating hotels on Dubai or elsewhere or as school ships for a while, then they'll to scrap them.

Have you been on Oasis recently? The ship is in great condition. There is no way RCI is going to get rid of her in 7 years or so. 

• Like 1

Just feels like these ships will have the same itineraries sailing out of Galveston and Florida. Western cruises will be Cozumel, Costa Maya and Jamaica. Eastern cruises will remain Nassau, CocoCay and San Juan. 💤💤💤

• Like 1

I hope they can do Icon class but put back the solarium somewhere for adults only and covered/air conditioned and big enough to hold enough.  Hideaway is just too crowded, I don't think we'll be spending much time there.  Plan to go in the early AM only anyways.  Or stay in Overlook sans any water 😭

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 1

On 8/28/2024 at 8:21 PM, Merion_Mom said:

I understand this. I traveled on the Mariner out of Los Angeles on a 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise (Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlán and Puerto Vallarta) in October 2010. I was on a group cruise and I paid only $499 + taxes/fees. I’m sure Royal Caribbean wanted to move the Mariner to a different market where they could charge higher prices and make more money. I remember the CEO at the time (Adam Goldstein) said that it was not profitable for the Mariner to remain in California and that they needed to move it. 

6 hours ago, BecciBoo said:

I hope they can do Icon class but put back the solarium somewhere for adults only and covered/air conditioned and big enough to hold enough.  Hideaway is just too crowded, I don't think we'll be spending much time there.  Plan to go in the early AM only anyways.  Or stay in Overlook sans any water 😭

I agree with you but I don’t think RCI is going to add a Solarium on any Icon class ship. I am on Utopia right now and have spent a lot of time in the Solarium the last few days. I enjoyed cruising on Icon, but still not happy that I paid $3500 for a CP balcony to cruise on Icon. I would much rather cruise on an Oasis class ship for that price. 

14 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree with you but I don’t think RCI is going to add a Solarium on any Icon class ship

Forgive my ignorance because I’m late to the party, but the Icon doesn’t have a Solarium? That stinks. I really enjoyed the Solarium on the Harmony. 

For me, the Icon is way too expensive for what you get. I can go on much longer cruises for less than half the price. 

• Like 1